+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Problem With Schoolcomms in Technical; Don't know if this has already been talked about, we have two networks within our school one curriculum one admin, ...

Thank Post

Problem With Schoolcomms

Don't know if this has already been talked about, we have two networks within our school one curriculum one admin, on the admin network all schoolcomms packages have a dialog box saying new version needs to be installed, but when we go to install the new version it says there is an error and needs to be changed to the basic package, can anyone help on this really getting to me, with admin staff ringing up. Many regards James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I had this and noticed that the installer was actually failing to install .net 4 which i then installed manually and re-ran the installation.

Toby

Thank Post
    thank you i will try that now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I had this and noticed that the installer was actually failing to install .net 4 which i then installed manually and re-ran the installation.
    Me, too - but I could have sworn our standard Windows XP image was up-to-date with every version of the .net framework that I could find. Is the SchoolComms installer looking for a very specific version (4.0, not 4.1, etc) or something?

While we're at it, does anyone have silent-install commandline switches for the .net installer?

Thank Post
    The netframework repair worked on our test admin pc, we are using purgos to do a silent install across the admin network. Thanks again glennda version 7.2f now works fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Me, too - but I could have sworn our standard Windows XP image was up-to-date with every version of the .net framework that I could find. Is the SchoolComms installer looking for a very specific version (4.0, not 4.1, etc) or something?

While we're at it, does anyone have silent-install commandline switches for the .net installer?
    i've only got schoolcomms on 2 machines so i just ran i manually - not sure but i installed it and i worked

i did notice though that the instructions say that you should uninstall the old version from add remove programs - although its not listed!

Thank Post
    I got the same issue yesterday and also a problem when trying to uninstall via Add / Remove programs - kept looking for the .msi in the temporay files location. I basically went through the registry and did a bit of pruning to get rid of it before I could get it reinstalled. I think it was a .Net framework issue and after manually reinstalling that it worked fine as someone else mentioned above.

Thank Post
    Hmm - when I do this from a command prompt:

\\ks-nas1\Software\dotNet\4.0\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.e xe /passive /norestart
    msiexec /i \\ks-nas1\Software\SchoolComms\7.2\Schoolcomms72H.msi /qb-

...everything works fine - .Net 4.0 installs, followed by SchoolComms. However, when run from our auto-install script that runs on workstation imaging, SchoolComms doesn't seem to get installed for some reason. The /passive switch above tells the .Net installer to do a quiet-ish install where it shows a progress bar and so on as it's installing and, importantly, doesn't return focus to the command prompt until finished, i.e. Schoolcomms should pretty much definatly be running after .Net is installed. Is there something else I need to install first before SchoolCommas will work?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    ...Is there something else I need to install first before SchoolCommas will work?
    SchoolGrammar .Net ? - Sorry couldn't resist

I know the command prompt way says /norestart but i reckon a reboot might be needed in between, perhaps due to other things happening first during imaging coupled with whatever runs above the script.

The instructions mention another reboot, but that's if the schoolcomms installer installs .net for you:
    • Close SIMS if it is open
    • Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Schoolcomms
    • Browse to www.schoolcomms.com/download and download
    • If you do not already have the .NET 4 framework installed it will do this for you and may require a reboot of your PC
    • If your PC required a reboot, run the installer for Schoolcomms again to complete the process. (Either browse to where you saved it, or download again and run)
    • Open Schoolcomms from the desktop icon and then choose Login for account holders. Enter your login details as usual.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 13th April 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add quote

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

dhicks (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    SchoolGrammar .Net ?
    :-)

I know the command prompt way says /norestart but i reckon a reboot might be needed in between
    Drat. Good point, that could be it, I'll check when I next re-image a machine. Seems a bit of a plavar to go through, adding yet another reboot stage to the install script (it already reboots twice) - especially as I could have sworn I had that machine image up-to-date with the latest version of the .Net framework.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread