+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Moving SIMS to new server in Technical; Originally Posted by LinkZ So you could just detach the database from the existing server, this will transfer the logins ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkZ View Post
    So you could just detach the database from the existing server, this will transfer the logins into the SIMS.mdf file, then attach the database on the new server and it will bring over all the SIMS logons? Does this work the same with the FMS database too?
    It should do yes. However I always run the commands above manually before detaching a database just to be extra sure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    It should do yes. However I always run the commands above manually before detaching a database just to be extra sure.
    From what i've read those commands copy the usernames and passwords which are stored in the master database into the sims database, then when you restore the database on the new server it moves them into the master database on the new server. Is that correct? Also does it leave the usernames in the original servers master database? I want to run the command but not affect the main server as I will be leaving it online for a while after running this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Correct.
    It won't affect your live server just update a table in the sims DB with a copy of your master DB logins.
    If your destination server is not on the same domain any trusted logins may not transfer and you'll get an error on restore. But the rest will still work.

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Rawns (21st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the same situation of moving SIMS to a new 2008 server, I've tried the above links and they are no longer working. Does anyone have instructions or the order I need to perform the installation? - Some one mentioned just running the installs from the SIMSSHARE which ones though

Capita don't have any ISO available to download from SupportNet.... Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Matt

Thank Post
    Is there any truth to Capita not providing support if you do any migration yourself?

Thank Post
    Short answer, no, long answer yes, but...

Basically SIMS is a dotnet application, it uses a MS SQL database, it's pretty straight forward and standard but it does have a few elements that catch people out. So you need to do a bit of research before starting on stuff like DocStorage\DMS even if you are a Microsoft Pro. The other side is Capita don't support .net framework, MS-SQL, Windows, Office etc, they might give you installers and instructions but if the MSSQL server bit doesn't work, they'll confirm it isn't a application issue then fob you off to Microsoft.

The other aspect is if you have a managed service and could affect the support you've purchased, or other services that hang off it - one thing that comes to mind is Capita's crooked OpenVPN for InTouch and hosted SLG. They won't be giving you help installing that without a PO number!!

(Side note, I mean crooked as from what I've seen it's not always setup the same, it's pretty much depends who done it, the version aren't the same and they don't appear to update the client - this before we go into the whole if it goes wrong, do they have support like they keep tell us we need? Or is it even secure enough!!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGibson View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the same situation of moving SIMS to a new 2008 server, I've tried the above links and they are no longer working. Does anyone have instructions or the order I need to perform the installation? - Some one mentioned just running the installs from the SIMSSHARE which ones though

Capita don't have any ISO available to download from SupportNet.... Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Matt
    Which links are you trying? The one in the 2nd post didn't work but the 1st post has a link then on that page is another with a document. i haven't looked at the document to see how accurate it is though.

You can just run the files from the sims share, simsinst.exe should do it, but i think this only installs the SIMS components, whereas the installable iso will also install sql express if required. Someone may correct me though, i have done an install using simsinst, but prefer to use the installable as it gives you a clean setups folder which tends to get messy over time and also ensures you have the latest versions of the various executables and installer files, which sometimes aren't updated during the seasonal updates.

They used to make the download link available in a KB article : 110102 - but they changed that about a year ago so now you have to request it.
    My most recent attempts and problems i encountered are here Setting up a test from backup
    but the summary is in a different thread here SIMS Server Install Guide

I have done my own installs and mess with the test server all the time. I think it's just a get out clause to say you won't be supported, on the basis that if you screw something up, they won't waste time trying to fix it, at least not for free. It is very simple though and if you do it in a Virtual Machine you can always keep one snapshot of the working state to fall back to.

Thank Post
    @vikpaw is not quite right. Running SIMSInst.exe will give you the option to install a SQL Express instance as well if you choose the "This computer will be used as a SIMS Server". It also gives you the option to create a new database, attach an existing database, or do nothing (which will allow you to manually attach your database at a later time). Once SQL is installed, it also installs the SIMS SQL tools such as dbAttach and the Discover backup utility.
    Last edited by Rawns; 29th May 2013 at 09:55 AM.

10. Thanks to Rawns from:

vikpaw (29th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Right so what is the benefit of the installable? I was going by what the KB article said to a degree.
    I always pre install full SQL anyway.
    I guess it just makes sure all the .exe files are up to date.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Right so what is the benefit of the installable? I was going by what the KB article said to a degree.
    I always pre install full SQL anyway.
    I guess it just makes sure all the .exe files are up to date.
    Technically if your getting updates though SOLUS2, then it should check the signature files for all the applicable exe's and update all of them to the latest version. You should not really ever have an out of date setups folder as if SOLUS2 can;t update a specific file, it will throw out an error and roll back. You may find a few "old files" like the SQL2005 installer, migration tools etc, that are no longer used but the key installers for all SIMS components should be up to date, otherwise SOLUS2 would give you an error message when downloading/applying a upgrade and restore the previous files. And if you use SOLUS3 fully, than the setups folder is technically "obsolete" anyway.

Sometimes, I will download and install the Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 installer and install it ahead of a migration but in most instances, I jsut use the existing setuips folder and have never had an issue doing it this way. Just a shame that the Capita installer only Has SQL2008 and not SQL2008R2.

Funny, I'm doing a SIMS server move at the moment!
    Last edited by Rawns; 29th May 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Cool
    I've found the odd executable out of date from time to time.
    For instance simsinst wouldn't install clients! Satellite setup was old. There have been a couple of threads on it.
    I don't see why they differentiate the installable iso then. Why not just make every update CD installable? So it gives you a base and adds updates on top. Or just rebate every time. How hard is it to make the MSI?

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Rawns (29th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    How hard is it to make the MSI?
    Don't start that debate off again!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Just a shame that the Capita installer only Has SQL2008 and not SQL2008R2
    Last installable I had had SQL 2008 R2 not SQL 2008, so you're setups directory is out-of-date Also remember SOLUS2 is selfish, it only cares about SIMS and FMS installers, it won't update SIMSInst etc... unless you tick the check for CCS infrastructure updates and you've had them deployed to you.

RE: Why every update isn't installable - answer would be takes too long to build from what I've heard.

17. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (30th May 2013)

Thank Post
    All you have to do is run the update ISOs after the installable to get up to date.
    So surely I can make one by adding the diff files and running the installers one after the other.
    You could train a monkey to do that

Thank Post
    Haha, what is it with you and monkeys? Do you run a pet shop in your spare time and your trying to sell Capita a few? Pretty sure it's a bit more complex then that, that's maybe how you could get an updated setups directory, but I'm pretty sure the simsinst normally gets updated as well, so it won't run old SIMSApplicationsSetup for example. Then you have to update the new SIMS database as well - which is the hard bit, then you have to poke the documentation folk to update date the documentation - who take months to do a find'n'replace on the document to update the version number only to forget that they need to update the screenshots - actually seriously the documentation people are generally pretty good, it's just when they miss something they had to take the shame - and schools always find those pesky spelling mistakes. Part of the reason they put it on the interwebby.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast