+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Individual Reports take forever to generate in Technical; Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad SQL express or full? Full, 2008. I should also add that I'm using Windows 7 and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    SQL express or full?
    Full, 2008.

I should also add that I'm using Windows 7 and Office 2007 or 2010.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Can you try an XP box, even a VM? I'm about to reinstate one of mine for reports purposes.

Thank Post
    Hi Vik, just printed about about 170 reports that contain about 26 results plus 13 class teacher inserts. Used a terminal server XP session with Word 2003. My impression was that it was about 25% quicker but difficult to judge exactly as I was using a different printer setup. I will try to run a direct comparison and get more accurate figures later.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    Hi Vik, just printed about about 170 reports that contain about 26 results plus 13 class teacher inserts. Used a terminal server XP session with Word 2003. My impression was that it was about 25% quicker but difficult to judge exactly as I was using a different printer setup. I will try to run a direct comparison and get more accurate figures later.
    Just my 2p - to make a better benchmark, you really have to take the printer out of the equation. What I do is export all the reports in to a folder, then sort them by creation date and see how long it took to complete from start to finish. I then repeat on any machine I want to draw a comparison on.

EDIT: added bonus to this technique is that by using a script [see here: Sims Assessment Manager Individual Reports] you can print them all afterwards, giving you the freedom to leave them running over night ready for printing the following morning.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 10th June 2011 at 02:53 PM.

5. Thanks to LosOjos from:

simpsonj (10th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Number34 - how long did it actually take?

I still haven't had anyone contact me about this despite 3? reminders that the offer to investigate is there.

Thank Post
    Phil,Vik et al,

I did a comparison between using the terminal server, XP and Word 2003 and a laptop with Windows 7, Word 2007. Printed 3 sets of reports with each and was surprised at the result. On the first 2 m 54 s to first page appearing from printer, on the second 1 m 50 s to first page. So I was wrong but the actual printing took twice as long on the second so I now need to look more carefully at the printer driver settings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    Phil,Vik et al,I did a comparison between using the terminal server, XP and Word 2003 and a laptop with Windows 7, Word 2007. Printed 3 sets of reports with each and was surprised at the result. On the first 2 m 54 s to first page appearing from printer, on the second 1 m 50 s to first page. So I was wrong but the actual printing took twice as long on the second so I now need to look more carefully at the printer driver settings.
    I hope it was a fair test with comparable specs on the hardware. How long does the printing take?You and @LosOjos should take up Phil's offer of investigation, it could help resolve issues for many.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I hope it was a fair test with comparable specs on the hardware. How long does the printing take?You and @LosOjos should take up Phil's offer of investigation, it could help resolve issues for many.
    I would happily, but unfortunately I know the school would reject any request for consultancy at the moment due to our budget. For now, running reports overnight and printing them via my script (provided by a member on here - I must start taking note of names!) the following morning works fine for me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I would happily, but unfortunately I know the school would reject any request for consultancy at the moment due to our budget. For now, running reports overnight and printing them via my script (provided by a member on here - I must start taking note of names!) the following morning works fine for me
    I had hoped that @PhilNeal 's offer was not linked to financial recompense, more of a means to rectify the issues and ensure that knowledge is shared with others.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I hope it was a fair test with comparable specs on the hardware. How long does the printing take?
    Vik, difficult to compare the hardware spec as I haven't a clue where to start with the thin client. Laptop reasonably good, i3 and 2 gb ram. I did not time the actual printing but on the laptop there was a definite gap between different pupil reports whereas on the thin client the printing was continuous.

Thank Post
    it's a shame you cant test a win 7 thin client or an xp laptop, otherwise it's not a fair test.

Thank Post
    I wasn't after cash! Just want to find out what the issue is and hopefully resolve. Please don't all rush together I'm out for the next 3 days!!

14. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

LosOjos (14th June 2011), Oops_my_bad (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry if this is out of date and you already found a solution, but we had the same problem, and the solution was to install PDF Factory pro, set the default printer to PDFFP and the select all the students and hit print, that way you can get a file with all the reports in minutes (depending of the size of the class/year group).... PDFFP will put all the files in a single file without opening office x times and hangin your pc... After that, it is much easier to send it to the printer....

Thank Post
    We printed lots of reports yesterday, and the direct printing just isn't working out right. [Win7 - Office 2010]. Keep getting the SIMS has stopped working error, and then it crashes out. It's not a normal SIMS error, it's coming from Windows and whatever is doing the actual printing because i can see the reports files that are generated in the temp folder it's only at print time it crashes out.

Incidentally, that is going to C:\users\<username>\appdata\local\temp\

I went straight for the export to folder and print later option. Can't say it was slow, the DH thought so, but around 10-15 secs per report isn't too bad, considering it's a full report with 15 pages, 10 ish results to a page, plus 1 comment, and the teacher name. The template probably only has 15-20 pages tops as it's KS3 so not many options. So it's at the most 1 sec per page, which i though was reasonable and has been the norm for me here and at other schools.

I had major problems printing, but that's another story, and probably better off in one of the other threads regarding bulk printing xml docs.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 29th June 2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: EDIT: correct folder location

Thank Post
    I think this is a reasonable speed! I used to have to print for 48 hrs when I first started profiles some 20+ years ago!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast