+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Academies, 'new' SIMS licenses and the EU concept of 'Exhaustion rights' in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Angelica,

You are a SIMS Direct School are you not?

As far as I am aware, and from what Phil has posted here a number of times, I believe that the cost of novating your licences is in the order of £300, should you wish to retain exactly what you have at the moment.
    The Annual Costs should then be the approx the same as you pay now.

Or have a misunderstood something in your circumstances?

I think that you need to contact Capita Sales again before you make a big mistake, by moving for the wrong reasons!

Thank Post
    We thought we were once but when Capita came to see us last week they said not. We have nothing to prove it either way (except the rememberings of my ex-boss long retired). I thought that we were when I started 17 years ago then a few years back we moved to LA support but it seems from CES that they believe the LA held the licences all along.

Thank Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm.........

That all sounds very strange to me. I think that 'jiggery-pokerey' just about sums it up!

If you were paying for SIMS direct to Capita then you must have had a SIMS Direct Licence. Do you use FMS? If so then the records of payment for the licences should still be there. And you can still access the old DOS programs via SIMS Launcher! I did exactly that not so long ago! So you can go back a long way if you so wished!

If you did have the licences at one time then surely they would still be valid for SIMS Core at least? I doubt you could give them away to the LA!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 24th May 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm.........

That all sounds very strange to me. I think that 'jiggery-pokerey' just about sums it up!

If you were paying for SIMS direct to Capita then you must have had a SIMS Direct Licence. Do you use FMS? If so then the records of payment for the licences should still be there. And you can still access the old DOS programs via SIMS Launcher! I did exactly that not so long ago! So you can go back a long way if you so wished!

If you did have the licences at one time then surely they would still be valid for SIMS Core at least? I doubt you could give them away to the LA!

My understanding is that a school can move from LA to be supported direct with Capita and pay Bedford their AM, but their original licence (bought once) remains with the LA. Only when the school becomes an Academy does the licence become as issue and have to be re purchased. If the SLG was purchased after the move away from the LA then this should be transferable to the new school for the £300 admin fee.

Thank Post
    Update on finding a new MIS: How many Sims users have been begging for a system to do registers for after school clubs, classes & sports teams? Well folks - all the competitors so far, do it as standard!! One more to see tomorrow then it will be time to decide (or at least shortlist).

Thank Post
    Please do keep us posted Anjelica, I'll be really interested to see how it pans out in the end.

Thank Post
    It's been a real eye opener - not what I expected. Whilst cost isn't everything we've based our costings on a 5 year plan. It's amazing but there is over 30K between top and bottom quotes. We've tried to do it on a like for like basis. We have to factor our winning quote (when we get there) against the hassle free "stay with Sims option" and then hopefully we will make the right decision. Well, at the end of the day, it will be the Governors decision - we will see. Watch this space

Thank Post
    Shame BECTA or someone couldn't do this. An independent review of features and cost which is publically accessible with a customable weighting system.

Team Edugeek to the rescue?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a review happening for a framework from DoE. Threads have already covered that and yes, it is on the backing of earlier work done by Becta.

Thank Post
    Perhaps, just perhaps, if Becta had done more to encourage innovative, inexpensive solutions from smaller suppliers instead of cosying up to the big guys all time they might not have got the chop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You mean like giving some money to the BBC to create a heap of resources, ending up with a number of big players shouting about being anti-competitive, resulting in Curriculum-Online / eLCs and the resources have *still* disappeared from BBC?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You mean like giving some money to the BBC to create a heap of resources, ending up with a number of big players shouting about being anti-competitive, resulting in Curriculum-Online / eLCs and the resources have *still* disappeared from BBC?
    The latter would be working with smaller companies, giving money to the BBC would be 'cosying up the big guys'! I have to agree with EdWhittaker a bit here, Becta did have a habit of favouring larger companies over smaller ones. Just look at the whole VLE debacle.

Edit: Maybe I should reword it a bit, Becta had a habit of favouring the 'rat pack' ie. companies that have been in the sector for a while, whilst ignoring the little guy who only started a couple of years ago, or has a non-standard business model. Biggest example of that would be Moodle. It is the favoured solution by Secondary Schools and third favourite of Primary Schools, yet it didn't get a look in because their framework for getting on their list excluded that possibility from the off, as they were looking for single company suppliers with an end to end solution etc...
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th May 2011 at 08:56 AM.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

EdWhittaker (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Facinating views about Becta - can't say I noticed them favouing anybody!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Facinating views about Becta - can't say I noticed them favouing anybody!
    That's not what I said. What I was trying to say is that Becta only listened to and consulted the usual suspects, instead of looking below the radar and getting out seeking and encouraging new and innovative products. That is not to say that they favoured a particular supplier, more that they ignored plenty of others.
    Whatever, I'm keeping my fingers X'd for Anjelica's school to go for a minority provider; what the MIS market needs is a bit of healthy competition!

Thank Post
    I thought Becta gave money (grant) to the moodle community to develop the product via the backdoor?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast