+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Discover in Technical; Ta Vik, would prefer it if SIMS would get their house in order first but I doubt that will happen ...

Thank Post
    Ta Vik, would prefer it if SIMS would get their house in order first but I doubt that will happen any time soon so we will just have to throw hardware at it.

Thank Post
    @TechMonkey - New hardware may not be the solution. I know a school that had a load of bad packets flying around the network and slowed everything down and would freeze the switches eventually. Instead of finding out exactly what the problem was, they replaced hardware to make it all faster. All it did was freeze the switches even quicker!

Post a new thread, if you like, and we can all offer advice about where to go (if it's your bag).

3. Thanks to NorthernSands from:

TechMonkey (13th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Ta for the advice, I don't think it is entirely the hardware at fault as everything started slowing down after an update and when we were allowed to run housekeeping routines it would speed up again but we are no longer allowed to run them as they sometimes delete random data.

Part of our plan is a full network health check anyway so anything like that should be highlighted. The hardware is getting on though so it is going to happen but I think it shouldn't be necessary for the current issues, it is bad programming & utilisation. I may start a thread next week once I've got through the little jobs list on SQL server optimisation to see if we have missed anything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    @TechMonkey I didn't mean SIMS get it's house in order, i meant you do it!

Start a thread or continue an old one, there are a few. The re-index patch could help, plus i just found a simple firewall rule that cut 20 secs off the login time! There are so many little things that could go awry before even adding Discover to the mix.

Just thinking that if you put DISCOVER on a different server, you could either allow access to it remotely, or even put up a couple of VM clients to connect to it. Thus bypassing the client hardware spec' limitations.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 13th April 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @TechMonkey I didn't mean SIMS get it's house in order, i meant you do it!
    I know you did, that's why I suggested SIMS should do it first so we don't have to pander to oddities, hacks and patches. The re-indexing patch has been applied numerous times, but why in a modern computing environment should we have to chuck out users to manually run a routine to tidy up a developers mess? Why is this not part of the standard housekeeping? Why do users not get informed about a time out issue with a sensible error and then the option to retry, rather than a crash with no information on what just happened meaning the staff have wasted their time and don't even know it? Why are unable to run the only thing that actually temporarily solved our issue? Sorry I know the answer to that one, because it sometimes randomly deleted data. Why would it do that!!?! Why with so many people showing that their SIMS installs have slowed down perceptibly over the last few updates is guidance or a fix not being provided?

I have participated and followed many of the threads and it seems completely random what works and what doesn't for different sites. We are just about holding our own with it at the moment, hence me asking if it added a new load as I don't want to add more issues.

Sorry, turned into a bit of a rant but I'm getting tired of pandering to developers, companies and service providers that we are paying for the privilege to bend over backwards for them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Point taken

Thank Post
    TechMonkey. If you'd like to drop me a PM, I'd be happy to send out one of our architects to investigate. You may have an environmental problem or it could be that there are issues emerging in your school that we need to understand and fix.

Thank Post
    I've got a call logged with the helpdesk to remove the old audit stuff, I don't need nearly a GB of information about how people changed there password back in 2007.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    TechMonkey. If you'd like to drop me a PM, I'd be happy to send out one of our architects to investigate. You may have an environmental problem or it could be that there are issues emerging in your school that we need to understand and fix.
    Thanks Phil. We have just put Spring release on so we will see how that runs the first week everyone comes back and then I'll get back to you.

Thank Post
    TechMonkey please do.

Cheers

Phil

Thank Post
    Would highly recommend deploying Discover via SOLUS3.

Thank Post
    We're not using SOLUS3 just yet (I have a potential new 'school' to add to our existing SIMS box and that may well have a bearing). I have, though, installed Discover on the server and my workstation. Seeing as we're not a UK State school, there are no pre-setup assessment charts. Looks like I'll have to RTFM, and I'm not rolling it out until I've done that!

Still, despite some annoying quirks, it's looking good.

Thank Post
    That's ok if SOLUS3 works for you - it didn't for us!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 26th April 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Where are people getting the installs for Solus 3 and Discover? Our SIMS support is via the LA - do I need to contact them?

Thank Post
    I think a news item came up on the SupportNet site that allowed you to download the ISO of Discover but I cant seem to find it. Is the ISO still available on SupportNet?

17. Thanks to apeo from:

Sylv3r (3rd May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast