+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Database - where is it? in Technical; Hi, I think I need some SIMS help. We have one machine in the office running SIMS, and I assumed ...
    Thank Post

Database - where is it?

Hi,

I think I need some SIMS help. We have one machine in the office running SIMS, and I assumed that the database and all the information was held on the networked S: drive. However, I backed that up and then disabled the connection, and was still able to log in and access pupil data etc.

So basically, I think my question is where does the SIMS data come from, can I find this out? And if it is coming from somewhere that will disappear when RM switch us off, how do I go about chianging its location to somewhere local?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The SIMS database is an MSSQL database running on the server where the S: drive is hosted.

You really should speak to your SIMS support people to talk about migrations and the like, as you don't want it to go awry.

Thank Post
    Check for your connect.ini

Our's is located on the S drive - s:\sims\connect.ini

Mine states

ServerName=hal\sims2008
    DatabaseName=sims
    Which shows the database server and the SQL instance name

Thank Post
    The data is held in sql probably on the c or d drive on the server not normally the s drive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The typical Capita setup is that S: is mapped on all clients machines, which points to what is typically Dinsert sims installation directory here) on the admin server.
    You can have SIMS on single stations - perhaps S: is just a plain file storage for you and your MSSQL server in this instance is just on that single workstation.

On a network server, it would usually be d:\admin data\sims for SIMS itself but the data will be d:\program files\mssql (or similar)
    On a workstation it'd be c:\program files\mssql for the SQL data.

Thank Post
    The actual database you are looking for is the SIMS.mdf file and is found somewhere like drive\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\DATA. However unless you are really sure what you are doing get Capita to help you move it. It's very easy to miss something and lose connectivity to your data

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    The fact you can log in without your S drive connected means your connect.ini must be a local one, so i'm assuming this is your only SIMS machine.

As others have said, the database file itself is on the machine running SQL, most likely the machine you are are using to access.
    Search for the connect.ini file to be sure, and also check for the Microsoft SQL Server folder.

This 'server' computer should have quite recently been upgraded to the latest SQL version which is 2008. Perhaps you can remember where the work was done.

I think you need to speak to who ever is maintaining the network and the backups (most important). Are backups being done, and where are they?
    So long as you have those, then it doesn't matter what RM do, although it would be nice to be shown some continuity information and will save some time and effort.

In addition to the database backups, you should also have a backup of the S: share as well as the Document Storage folder which is usually on the C drive of the database server.

If in doubt, call Capita / Tech Support.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

quietriot1983 (15th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Yes that is our only SIMS machine. Off-site backups are being done, but again, when we get switched off these will disappear and I will take over the backing up of the system. What I'm most worried about right now is if we would lose all data when we get switched off. But you seem to have quelled that fear, so thanks!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Start here: Sims Backup

Has some warnings and resources for backing up in it.

Thank Post
    When you say disappear, i take it you mean the system that does the backup will go, but you will have access to the off-site location, or will retrieve all your data prior to disappearance.

I'm not really sure what service RM are doing for you, but i would get access to the backups, and follow some of the threads on how to setup a test sims installation. Either physical on a desktop or even virtualise it. You can test your backup works, and also play with the backing up routines yourself to put your mind at ease. The thread CAM linked to is really useful for this.

Make sure you're happy with it all before your contract with RM ends, as the MIS data is the most valuable in the school.

Thank Post
    SIMS .net works as a service over the network and does not rely on the S drive being mapped, so long as the connect.ini file in C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net contains the name of the server rather than "redirect=S:\SIMS".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    SIMS .net works as a service over the network and does not rely on the S drive being mapped, so long as the connect.ini file in C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net contains the name of the server rather than "redirect=S:\SIMS".
    That's what i meant by saying it was a local connect.ini, i.e. it's not redirected to a shared network connect.ini

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is the connect.ini for my Green Abbey install:

Code:
    ServerName=TECHPC\SIMS2005
    DatabaseName=SIMS_ga
    DatabaseMode=Online
    It's part of a larger 18 line (!) file to access a live and local database, this is the bit for the local database modified slightly.

TECHPC is my computer's name, basically where the Green Abbey SIMS server is located. SIMS2005 is the name of the MS SQL Service. They combine to form TECHPC\SIMS2005 (Yes I am running it on SQL 2005 Express! ). This might also be called localhost\SIMS_2005.

SIMS_ga is the name of the database SIMS_ga.ldf and SIMS_ga.mdf files in the Program Files tree for SQL Server. Use dbAttach to back these up (see the manual linked in that other thread).

I don't know what DatabaseMode does but it didn't work without it. That may be to do with having one SIMS client for multiple database connections.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    When you say disappear, i take it you mean the system that does the backup will go, but you will have access to the off-site location, or will retrieve all your data prior to disappearance.
    The off-site backups will go, and we will no longer have access to them. This current system was implemented before my time, so it doesn't help that the secretary has been unable to run a local backup, as we're unable to run executables from a secure backup drive (external).

I want to do some form of backup before RM's services comes in (and therefore unplugs us from the matrix!), just incase it all goes tits up.

I've printed that pdf file from the linked thread, so I'll try and get an hour or two with the secretary's machine and see if I can make head or tail of it.

As you can tell, I don't know the first thing about SIMS.

Thank Post
    As CAM says you can use dbattach (found in - on my system- drive\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\binn) can be used to make a local back up of the data which saves in the drive\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\backup. Obviously your path might differ slightly and you will need the SQL sa password. I think you really need to talk to whoever does your SIMS support as your MIS data is critical and by your own admission you know very little about SIMS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast