+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Backup in Technical; Hi, Quick question really. How do you backup sims ? the database is obviously in use so I need to ...

Thank Post

Sims Backup

Hi, Quick question really. How do you backup sims ? the database is obviously in use so I need to stop the services?? and backup. I need to make sure this is working by the end of the day because you can never tell and we have just had a new server installed. Windows backup is running on the shared network drives but i dont think this is adequate for sims
    Last edited by squeeky; 28th February 2011 at 08:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Using DBAttach you can run backups while the database is in use, I currently backup the database daily, compress the file and upload it to our backup server.

You also need to backup the DocStorage folder, I just compress and upload daily.

Code:
    del d:\SIMSBackup\today\*.rar
    "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<instancename>\MSSQL\Binn\DbAttach.exe" /BACKUP /SERVER="<servername>\<instance>" /USER="sa" /PASSWORD="passwordhere" /DATABASE="sims" /AUTO /PATH="d:\SIMSBackup\today\sims.bak"
    "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<instancename>\MSSQL\Binn\DbAttach.exe" /BACKUP /SERVER="<servername>\<instance>"  /USER="sa" /PASSWORD="passwordhere" /DATABASE="fms" /AUTO /PATH="d:\SIMSBackup\today\fms.bak"
    "c:\program files\winrar\rar.exe" a d:\SIMSBackup\today\databasebackup.rar -ri1 -mt2 -ag[yyyy-mm-dd] -p<password> -rv10 -m5 d:\SIMSBackup\today\*.bak
    "c:\program files\winrar\rar.exe" a d:\SIMSBackup\today\Docstoragebackup.rar -ri1 -mt2 -ag[yyyy-mm-dd] -p<password> -rv10 -m5 d:\docstorage
    copy d:\simsbackup\today\*.rar \\<backupserver>\share\wherever
    del d:\SIMSBackup\today\sims.bak
    del d:\SIMSBackup\today\fms.bak
    The above script creates the backups, compresses them into a date stamped & passworded rar files and then uploads to wherever your backups are.

James
    Last edited by Jamman960; 28th February 2011 at 08:38 AM.

Thank Post
    I have 2 batch files. One that stops the SQL service of the database before the backup starts and one that starts it again when its finished.

net stop "SQL Server (SIMS2008)"
    net start "SQL Server (SIMS2008)"

You will need to replace "SQL Server (SIMS2008)" with the name of your sims databse.

I am using Backup exec and put these in the pre and post command sections

Thank Post
    I'm a little paranoid on this and I back up the whole system with windows server backup on a daily incremental. The DBAttach runs as well to give me a backup of the database too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur231283 View Post
    net stop "SQL Server (SIMS2008)"
    net start "SQL Server (SIMS2008)"

You will need to replace "SQL Server (SIMS2008)" with the name of your sims databse.
    That last line should read:

You will need to replace "SQL Server (SIMS2008)" with the named instance running the SIMS and FMS Databases.

You also need to add some lines to the start of your script that transfer logins from the master.mdf into the SIMS.mdf (I think). Assuming you are running this scheduled task on the SQL Server in question itself as "administrator" and your databases are actually called "sims" and "fms"then these lines will do the job.

osql -S%computername%\sims2008 -E -n -Q"exec sims.sims.db_p_transfer_login"
    osql -S%computername%\sims2008 -E -n -Q"exec FMS.sims.db_p_transfer_login"
    Last edited by superfletch; 28th February 2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add commands

Thank Post
    i use this command line in a batch script takes seconds to export the DB
    just added it to system scheduling to run with admin privs to export every night

"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Binn\DbAttach.exe" /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=%computername%\sims2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /USER=sa /PASSWORD=%simspassword% /PATH=d:\backup\SIMS_Backup.BAK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    i use this command line in a batch script takes seconds to export the DB
    just added it to system scheduling to run with admin privs to export every night

"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Binn\DbAttach.exe" /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=%computername%\sims2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /USER=sa /PASSWORD=%simspassword% /PATH=d:\backup\SIMS_Backup.BAK
    I also use this method. With an added robocopy script to copy it to our backup NAS drive so we have it in two places..

Thank Post
    I use the following:

Batch File:
    Code:
    sqlcmd -S HERA\SQL2008 -i E:\SIMSBackupScripts\SQLFiles\SIMSBackup.sql -o E:\SIMSBackupScripts\SQLFiles\SIMSBackup.txt
    This batch file calls the following SQL Command:

SQL Command
    Code:
    DECLARE @filename nvarchar(128)

SET @filename=N'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQL2008\MSSQL\Backup\DATABASENAME_cp361_mnw_' + convert(varchar(8), getdate(), 112) + '_' + replace(convert(varchar(8), getdate(), 108), ':', '') + '.bak'

BACKUP DATABASE [DATABASENAME] TO  DISK = @filename WITH NOFORMAT, INIT,  NAME = N'DATABASENAME Full Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10

GO
    Once that has run, i run an exe called tidybackups which compresses the bak files into zip files.

We keep the zipped bak files for about 10 days.

Also, we run Backup Exec every week day on a full backup.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Supportnet has a PDF file detailing how to backup files. Resource number is 14931.

Regarding backing up logins, if you detatch and reattatch the database using dbAttatch it will store logins if the database has been detatched before.

Aloso remember if you run FMS, You must backup SIMS and FMS at the same time! If one needs to be restored, the other also has to be restored to the same point in time.

10. 2 Thanks to CAM:

superfletch (1st March 2011), vikpaw (1st March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    You must backup SIMS and FMS at the same time!
    Brilliant point that nobody else picked up on which we should all be aware of.

Thank Post
    You must backup SIMS and FMS at the same time!
    When you say at the same time do you mean backup SIMS and then FMS one after the other?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Supportnet has a PDF file detailing how to backup files. Resource number is 14931.

Regarding backing up logins, if you detatch and reattatch the database using dbAttatch it will store logins if the database has been detatched before.

Aloso remember if you run FMS, You must backup SIMS and FMS at the same time! If one needs to be restored, the other also has to be restored to the same point in time.
    Unless this has changed wildly, this is only needed if you integrate between the two with a particular routine (which I cannot remember, apologies!). This is not needed unless you have this routine in place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Unless this has changed wildly, this is only needed if you integrate between the two with a particular routine (which I cannot remember, apologies!). This is not needed unless you have this routine in place.
    Quite right Graham, i think this is if you are using FMS linked to Personnel in SIMS for salary projections, or it may be another finance related link. I will check shortly to confirm.

Suffice it to say, you just need to back up both DBs at roughly the same time, so one after the other is fine, you just don't want a gap of hours or days where changes made to one wont be reflected in the other. If you're backing up during down time, i.e. overnight this shouldn't be an issue, it doesn't need to be contemporaneous.

As for how to backup, i use the built-in SQL backups via SQL management studio, as i don't like the idea of scripting the services to stop and start. It also emails me on success or failure. There is another thread with a detailed explanation of how to set this up, but it's not in the MIS forum, but should be searchable.

On the issue of logins, can one of our resident DB experts confirm whether a dbattach backup actually transfers those logins to the mdf as well, or is that only part of the detach routine. This is a key point. Also, i'd be interested to know if those logins are kept in the mdf upon reattach or if the table is cleared...? Again, a vital point depending on your strategy.

I need to research these for when i move to a new Windows 2008 server. For now, i'm happy that if i restore to my current server the logins are already stored there, and that process is only required if you are moving the db to a new SQL installation.

However, for failover, as well as backing up the sims and fms i also backup master and temp. I believe restoring master too in case of corruption would be sufficient. Not sure what happens if you restore a master from one server to another though...

Worst case you lose your logins, in a disaster recovery scenario, it's a pain, but more important that you have a working backup that brings your data back. You can always reset passwords.

So whatever strategy you choose, i would periodically pick a file, uncompress if packed, and then restore to a test server. Even if you have to reset passwords, just make sure your data is there, and it works.

I get confirmation of this when i send data in to Capita for fixes, but otherwise would do this to a virtual test server.

15. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (2nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    This is taken from Autumn release notes, but is present in all the recent ones i can remember:

Backing up SIMS and FMS
    Where SIMS Personnel is used to generate Salary Projections in FMS, SIMS
    and FMS backups should be carried out at the same time. If one of the
    databases needs to be restored, the other database must be restored to the
    same point, i.e. if you restore the SIMS database, you must restore the FMS
    database to the same point and vice versa.

Thank Post
    SIMS must be backed up first, then FMS. Chaos will follow if not, come restore time - assuming your using FMS. dbAttach, I believe, doesn't transfer the logins when it backs up - it will. If your database is set to simple, the logs aren't an issue, but if your doing diff backups - ie the database is set to full, you'll need to truncate the log file if your using SQL maintainance task (after the backup of course!).

FYI: WinRar isn't free. Use 7zip or tidybackups.

18. Thanks to matt40k from:

superfletch (2nd March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast