+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, System Manager 7 in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam Don't forget to ask for the retention of the Backup routine - for us Sysmen that ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Don't forget to ask for the retention of the Backup routine - for us Sysmen that may wanna produce a backup for SupportNet and UAT without having to rely on the Tekkies having to use Solus! Yep! I raised it last week!
    No, no, no.

Sysman7 is permissions, provisioning of users (for SIMS) - Data Manager. SOLUS3 is backups etc - Network Manager. The network manager is responsible for the data security, so they won't want anyone walking off with an entire copy of the database without them knowing, nor will they want to worry about "SIMMS" permissions as they are too busy make sure the staff laptops are encrypted.

Nearest I would go is to have patch to enable the routine to do a backup within SIMS (be it Sysman7 or whatever)

PS: Two red blocks? What happened to the green?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I reckon Sivadam's downloaded a patch from Solus to turn those green squares red....

Thank Post
    No, no, no.

Sysman7 is permissions, provisioning of users (for SIMS) - Data Manager. SOLUS3 is backups etc - Network Manager. The network manager is responsible for the data security, so they won't want anyone walking off with an entire copy of the database without them knowing, nor will they want to worry about "SIMMS" permissions as they are too busy make sure the staff laptops are encrypted.

Nearest I would go is to have patch to enable the routine to do a backup within SIMS (be it Sysman7 or whatever)

That ain't the situation here Matt! I am Sysman - it is pointless having to go to my Technical colleague just to get a backup to send up to SupportNet. I log the vast majority of cases and the Sysman Backup only leaves the site in an encrypted, passworded format via FTP Upload to Capita. I often want these at pretty short notice and I want them at 7.00am so I can start the upload before the network and internet get busy, else it literally takes all day to upload the data! And my colleague has many more technical issue to attend to without having to run a mere Sysman backup, which is all that is needed for the upload!

As for the Red Squares - one of the Admins said something about me that I did not agree with. You know me! I could not let such comments go unanswered. The trouble was he kept responding and so I had to as well! When will they learn? The thread was cleared after I went home from school one evening and the comments were gone the next time I logged in from home! I am continually being told to report those that cause offence to me. I reckon I might start doing just that! It might even be even more entertaining than my current methods. They would get swamped! It would certainly give them something to think about! Have you noticed how much help I have given over my past 100 posts or so and still I go double red. Just for stating the truth!

One hopes that this post does not prompt others to respond inappropriately (and that is subjective anyway!) else I might have to start reporting folk, be they users, Members, Mods, Admins or whoever else that offends me! This post is a straight response to you as you asked a direct question and so I would hope that nobody else takes offence at what is in this thread! Suffice it to say that if I do change my methods I will be honest enough to state publicly that I have reported that person and the reason I have done so!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 4th April 2011 at 10:36 PM.

Thank Post
    So do you encrypt it then upload it? In your case you ideally want a "Upload data to Capita" button in Sysman7

Problem with Backups being in Sysman7 is that then any one could do a backup who has Sysman access, but that doesn't normally mean they can physical access the backups to tidy them - and not everyone using TidyBackups

Thank Post
    Yep Matt. That is sort of what I am asking for!

Normal backups - ICT Services Manager (Network Manager)

Backup for UAT and Supportnet would be additional for Sysman using System7. Much like it is now actually! I don't do the main backups but I do need access as and when! Only three of us have Sysman Access - myself and two Technical colleagues! And I am often the one that usually tidies the Sysman Backups anyway!

Mind you - I have been doing all this many years before we had a Technical Team with the current knowledge that we have now! Originally there was just me and one other using SIMS and she was the Finance Manager! And over the years I have run many, many more upgrades, backups etc etc than anybody else here!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 4th April 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Thank Post
    If anyone's interested, I've blogged about the SysMan7 UAT at #CapitaSIMS System Manager 7 (SM7) « Matt40k
    Last edited by matt40k; 7th April 2011 at 12:50 AM.

7. 3 Thanks to matt40k:

Sivadam (7th April 2011), superfletch (11th May 2011), vikpaw (7th April 2011)

Thank Post
    If anyone's interested, I've blogged about the SysMan7 UAT at #CapitaSIMS System Manager 7 (SM7) « Matt40k
    Thanks Matt. I read it last night!
    I gather that you enjoyed UAT! See you there some soon no doubt!

Thank Post
    "Anyway, sardines assigned, it was a most enjoyable day."

UAT sounds great!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    .... UAT sounds great!
    Trying to break something is far more fun than having to mend something!

Perversely, it is a sheer delight when you find a potential 'Release Breaker'!
    That is when you really do feel as though you have contributed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Trying to break something is far more fun than having to mend something!

Perversely, it is a sheer delight when you find a potential 'Release Breaker'!
    That is when you really do feel as though you have contributed!
    It was more the sardines that did it for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    really useful @matt40k especially to hear the cloned group wouldn't have the changes overwritten, just the new stuff added to it.

Thank Post
    Yup. Hopefully they include the compare report which will be good. The schools data I took, they had complained that permissions were being reset after an upgrade, when you load up SM7, which by the way is uber fast compared to SM6, it displayed the warning saying the Capita standard permission group had been changed - so that should make it quick and easy to fix those errors if you have the compare report. In short Summer is going to be an awesome release for Data Manager or anyone having to set permissions. It also means it's actually possible to support custom groups as you'll be able to report on them, export etc. So all those little nagging problems can be sorted rather then just "add them to class teachers".

Roll on SIMS Summer 11!!

Thank Post
    So all those little nagging problems can be sorted rather then just "add them to class teachers".
    Where I work I am the ICT manager, and the Sysman. We technically do not have a SIMS manager or a Data Manager. What group do you normally add people to then? New staff are added to class teacher by default then added to other roles depending on their job role.

Thank Post
    Nothing wrong with doing that or the default groups, just you get a few schools who shall we say want a more locked down system. For example to prevent teachers overwriting marks, not being able to change their own P7 record, or to give them more access without giving them too much, I've even heard people removing permissions so they don't see so much of the extras that they never use. From an LA point of view, it's easier to say add the Office user to LA Office user, rather then Personnel Officer, Returns Manager, School Administrator etc.

Thank Post
    Can class teachers change their own P7 record?!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast