+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, FMS on Windows 7 64bit in Technical; Hi Everyone Appologies if this has already been covered somewhere else but its starting to annoy me! When FMS is ...

Thank Post

FMS on Windows 7 64bit

Hi Everyone

Appologies if this has already been covered somewhere else but its starting to annoy me!

When FMS is installed on Windows 7 64bit it runs fine but, when a user tries to logon they always get an error saying commandpulsar.exe not found. They click OK and it loads into FMS and everything works.

Now, I came across an article on another post that was related to this but was about using FMS and SIMS on TS. It said to change the path in the Star 7 settings but when I have tried this on a couple machines it just says that the specified folder doesn't contain a valid Star 7 installation.

I'm fairly sure its going to be to do with c:\program files and c:\program files(x86) directories but I am yet to work it out.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FMS is not supported on 64bit windows yet as far as I know. With something as sensitive as the financial management of a school, I wouldn't even try it yet.

Thank Post
    I think it is - either way it work just fine apart from annoying error message!

Why are Capita always so slow to catch up with new technolgies?!

Thank Post
    I have it on one PC so far. Bit of a nightmare. Used the SIMS Infrastructure setup, then the FMS setup. Had to set FMS to run in XP compatibility mode, as well as the permissions to PDOXUSRS etc. It's not bad, but our finance admin knows to restart the PC if it has been on for a while before doing a chequerun - otherwise it can lock up and waste the cheques!

Thank Post
    Hi,

You can use the new installers of fms to install the FMS on a 64bit system. We tested this on Server 2008 R2 with remote apps and its working correctly. To get around the error of commandpulsar.exe you need to create a junction point in C:\Program Files\SIMS. You can use the tool Junction to create and remove junction point. So basically what the junction would do is create a junction at C:\Program files\SIMS (this is the native 64bit program file folder) which points to C:\Program files (x86)\SIMS.

Once you do this you don't need to do the change in start 7 etc and it will not display the command pulsar.exe error.

HTH,

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    Hi,

You can use the new installers of fms to install the FMS on a 64bit system. We tested this on Server 2008 R2 with remote apps and its working correctly. To get around the error of commandpulsar.exe you need to create a junction point in C:\Program Files\SIMS. You can use the tool Junction to create and remove junction point. So basically what the junction would do is create a junction at C:\Program files\SIMS (this is the native 64bit program file folder) which points to C:\Program files (x86)\SIMS.

Once you do this you don't need to do the change in start 7 etc and it will not display the command pulsar.exe error.

HTH,

Ash.
    Hi How do you create the Junction Point? Do you have to have the SIMS .net folder in place in both locations?

Tried but keep getting Access Denied

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    From an elevated command prompt, type the following...

Code:
    mklink /D "C:\Program Files\SIMS" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS"

8. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

dezt (11th October 2012), MattGibson (30th May 2013), vj-09 (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Could just install SIMS to c:\program files\sims\sims .net\

FMS is supported on 64bit. Personally I don't recommend mixing 64bit and 32bit FMS workstations, if you have all 64bit machines you can change the Star 7 path to look at the correct path (c:\program files (x86)\sims\sims .net) from within FMS, but remember, it sets it in the database so all users are affect, so if you have any 32bit workstations they will now get the error message. I have asked for this to be improved, such as setting it in the FMSconnect.ini or putting the details directly into the database\application.

PDOXUSR error message is because it puts in the root of C:\, there is a KB on Capita about how to move it, I did blog how to do it in a batch file, I'm told it's resolve in Summer 2011 - well for new installs anyway. Also if you change the start-in location of the FMS shortcut to the users application data or such you don't need to give them full access to the FMS Application directory - assuming your using SOLUS3 to do any upgrades

Thank Post
    Where are these new installers for FMS then?

Thank Post
    FMSApplicationsSetup.exe (v.138) works on 64bit, or are you referring to fmsinst?

Thank Post
    Thanks Arthur that worked a treat - there is no reference to this anywhere on Supportnet!

Matt40k - Discovered PDOXUSR error on another W7 server install, so well versed on that one, probably with the help of your previous post.

It's just a shame that all the relevant info on how to fix the various FMS errors appearing on W7/Server2008 is so segmented.

Thanks to this site my life is made just that little bit easier!

Cheers guys!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread