+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Changing MIS in Technical; We are currently using PASS, first the finance and the admin just followed. After years of just blindly buying new ...

Thank Post
    We are currently using PASS, first the finance and the admin just followed. After years of just blindly buying new modules and re-newing it's time to assess what is actually out there. Scholarpack is looking impressive too so will have to investigate that one further now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    More like a FOI request of the DfE I'd say!
    Estimated costs, pfff... SIMS core isn't too bad, it's all the bolt-ons that make it expensive!!!

One thing I like about SIMS is that it's UK developers, I know that sounds bad, but in times when the country making huge cuts, at least someone isn't outsourcing to other countries and is actually recruiting. Plus it makes me feel good that I could drive down to Bedford and poke the developer in the eye if they do a rubbish job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Estimated costs, pfff... SIMS core isn't too bad, it's all the bolt-ons that make it expensive!!!
    Agreed! We've found that having SIMS at the core and using TASC PARS for registration and TASC INSIGHT for parent access to reports isat least 50% cheaper than Capita versions.
    And I still can't believe that Discover is included in the core!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    .... Plus it makes me feel good that I could drive down to Bedford and poke the developer in the eye if they do a rubbish job.
    it's not that easy to find! TomTom with the postcode had me at the wrong end of town. Then by street, it gave me the wrong building. But in theory I like the plan. So if discover needs 8gb ram you're heading to Bedford ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    So if discover needs 8gb ram you're heading to Bedford ...
    If it needs 8GB, but it's good, I won't poke them in the eyes, ok, maybe I will, then run off with a few machines

(Lets hope they don't read this or I'll need to come up with a new plan)

Thank Post
    Performance is better on the Spring build of Discover than what we had initially on the FT. And they will be looking at it further - in particular for the Autumn 2011 build, I believe!

Thank Post
    One thing I like about SIMS is that it's UK developers, I know that sounds bad, but in times when the country making huge cuts, at least someone isn't outsourcing to other countries.
    As far as I know, CES have used and still do make quite extensive use of offshore development.

APC

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    As far as I know, CES have used and still do make quite extensive use of offshore development.
    At the moment capita are busy outsourcing everything! So much for british jobs!

Thank Post
    Well our part is certainly 99% UK based - almost 500 staff mostly based in Bedford, Chelmsford, Northants & Cirencester. We do employ a number of staff in India but this is because there aren't enough qualified people in the UK!

10. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

Sivadam (28th February 2011)

Thank Post
    500 would be sales and support as well as development. Even so, 1% of 500 - that would be 5. Are you sure your figure isn't out by an order of magnitude (i.e. over the whole of CES the offshore body count is 50 or more).

Thank Post
    5 would be a small team, far as I know, that's they way they work so that sounds about right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    ...We do employ a number of staff in India but this is because there aren't enough qualified people in the UK!
    I hope the qualifications are kosher, i've come across some that aren't recently. Wonders of the internet age would you believe

Thank Post
    5 would be a small team, far as I know, that's they way they work so that sounds about right.
    The size of teams has very little to do with any offshore engagement. CES certainly used to make extensive use of 'development' resource from an Indian company - Mastek. Their claim to expertise in Education Information Systems can largely be traced to working with CES. I understand CES use a different company now but unless they have radically changed the mix since working with Mastek, 5 in total out of 500 sounds very wrong - by an order of magnitude.

There's nothing wrong with using offshore resource. One of the key reasons companies do it is flexibility - the ability to scale up and down the numbers as needs change. That kind of dynamic flexibility is almost essential for a large software house - in a 'do it or die' way. There is an overhead to offshore working though that suggests that for a company the size of CES, engaging 5 people offshore would make them at best, a very expensive 5 people.

Thank Post
    Sure your not thinking of Bromcom? Most of comments I've seen in patches etc are refering to a person sitting in bedford. Still I guess we'll never really know until someone 3rd party has a look at the source code and does a bit of digging. Capita do a good job of protecting the devs from us moaning lot so it does it make it hard to actually find where they based.

Thank Post
    I was using "99%" to mean that the vast majority of our staff our based in the UK and hadn't reached for my calculator! 96% UK based is more accurate and yes off shore does mean that we can scale up and down easily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast