+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Groupcall Emerge iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch app for MIS access. in Technical; Are you using the stable version from the appstore or the beta versions from the ollielevy.me host?...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you using the stable version from the appstore or the beta versions from the ollielevy.me host?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I got mine downloaded via the old method, go to .co.uk website on phone and swipe to install. For some reason i have two provisioning profiles on my phone for Emerge and at some point soon one of them goes out of date. Haven't used the one from the store yet. Still waiting for a phone call, from someone regarding my support cases i logged. Been waiting a week, since giving them my direct dial, but no joy yet.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Whats the client install website?

I think I have a link to the beta software maybe thats why I'm having issues

Thank Post
    I think that's what i used. But, that is not how they suggest you install it now. If you click on check for updates, it should make sure you have the latest version and it was working fine for me. Like i said, the only issues come when the synch doesn't complete.
    Why don't you download the version off the appstore?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Why don't you download the version off the appstore?
    There are 2 versions on the appstore :/

Thank Post
    One from Groupcall and one from SIMS - just spoke to tech support for an hour about other issues. They are the same app, but i would opt for the Groupcall one, as they are likely to be first to publish.

I gave them a lot of feedback, and hopefully will get some of my change requests on the roadmap:
    The way Main numbers are pulled back, needs modifying.
    The timeout on failed data connection needs shortening.
    There needs to be a built-in kill switch to go off after x days.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Android version is coming!!

First view of Emerge on Android Groupcall Ltd

8. 2 Thanks to zag:

Kyle (24th November 2011), vikpaw (17th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Guys

I first saw a demo of GC Emerge at Bett and was impressed by the demo. Currently I am looking into the possibility of having it installed in our school, but before I present it to our SLT I want to gather as much info about it as possible to convince them to give it a trial (they already have iPads each so shouldn’t be too hard!). I have contacted Groupcall themselves, but would like some unbiased feedback from real life users. Some info on the good points and failings of the software would be great.

I am also interested to know how other schools put this software to use on an average day to day basis. I can think of the obvious uses such as class/school trips (can registers be taken for user defined groups for instance?) and events off school site, but if someone has found other less obvious uses I would be interested to hear about them.

Also if there are any schools in the Greater Manchester area, or surrounding areas, that currently have it installed, then I would love the chance to visit to see it in action. I have the demo on my phone but without live data its limited.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Also, any news on release dates for full software releases for OS other than iOS?

Jon

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It works, but there is no native iPad app yet.

The app on the store is only an iphone one but it does work well.

Bit blurry though.

Thank Post
    @jonrose
    you can read my views littered throughout this thread. there are a couple of shortcomings, but they are all things that could and should be fixed in the future, i've put forward detailed explanations and recommendations, and at least one of my suggestions was taken up almost immediately.
    I could see it's use for emergency medical attention, but we found it didnt give much detail, though we're changing exactly how we store that info on medical conditions in sims to make it more useful.
    we foresee senior teachers, using it as they walk around the school, instantly able to tell who should be where. looking up staff and student details. having emergency contact info is really useful, and in a phone, you can call and now text.
    i'm pretty sure you can get a trial setup, with live data, and it makes all the difference, to actually show senior management, what power they can have.

Thank Post
    We are a SERCO school and had our trial install scheduled for about a fortnight ago.

During the install it became apparent that the app was just not going to work for us this is because the API that groupcall use for reading and writing data to and from the server supports just 7 register calls that can be mapped to the register codes used in school. We use on a daily basis 13 different codes for lesson by lesson registration.

The problem comes when the software doesnt understand what a code pre input into a register is. For example if we were to input a student holidays into the register using a 'H' but then EMERGE doesnt map the 'H' to its software then on EMERGE that student would have a blank field and a teacher would assume when the register is called that he/she was absent and mark as such overwriting the original code pre input into CMIS.

We are now waiting for Groupcall to sort out a work around with SERCO to allow us to use our full set of register codes. We shall wait and see!

Thank Post
    Hi

A couple of points to clarify and then I will explain what enhancements we are working on. The Serco API allows us to read and write all codes for roll call (AM/PM), so there are no problems marking a student with any roll call attendance code from Emerge. *You rightly say that the Serco Lesson Attendance API only allows us to writeback 7 codes and this is an issue.

When taking lesson attendance, Emerge will show you the attendance code (in half intensity) of the AM or PM roll call, if there isnt already a mark for that lesson, otherwise it will show you the mark. At the moment, it filters out marks that cant be entered, so this is the situation you have described where an H entered by the office cannot be seen by the teacher taking lesson attendance. What we plan to do is allow the mark to be shown even though it cannot be entered, so a teacher would see the H and therefore not overight it. This should help, although its not a perfect solution.

Obviously Serco's main focus is Progresso right now, but we have requested an update to the E-Portal API to allow us to write back all lesson attendance markks (which used to be there in an older version of the API). I am sure our customers support on this may help this happen quicker.

Lastly, there is an argument to say that detailed reasons of why students are not attending a lesson are probably not known by teachers when they take lesson attendance, more likely they will be prefilled in by School administrators using the SERCO MIS, so the fact that the teacher cannot enter more than the basic marks is not such a problem. If that was true and as long as the teacher can see that mark, in the short term, the solution we have may be a useable workaround.

Appreciate your comments,

Best
    Lawrence

15. 3 Thanks to LawrenceRoyston:

ama178 (1st December 2011), vikpaw (1st December 2011), zag (1st December 2011)

Thank Post
    Am I correct in thinking that once a register has been taken that it can't be retaken? It would be useful to be able to take an emergency register so that the device could be used during a fire evacuation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    It works, but there is no native iPad app yet.

The app on the store is only an iphone one but it does work well.

Bit blurry though.
    That is coming - from looking at the dev site when i have been downloading beta's to test with the issues we have they currently have Emerge HD which is a Ipad version.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast