+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Groupcall Emerge iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch app for MIS access. in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam Are you trying it on WP7 too? I may be interested in the result then, even ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Are you trying it on WP7 too?
    I may be interested in the result then, even though SLG works well on WP7!
    It's not available on WP7 as far as i know. Next stop is Android.

Thank Post
    I'm interested to know if international numbers will work out of a contacts record. i.e. will it ring straight from the app, as it does for a local number in the demo app. just need to know, and be sure it's not restricted by field length or something silly, as i tried one on test data and it didn't work, then another one did. All our numbers have to have full country code in, so that Schoolcomms and other systems can direct dial from anywhere.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceRoyston View Post
    Hi Vikpaw

We had the 50 hit list because its takes slightly longer for the whole student list to load and we didnt think that users would browse a list of 1000+ students (without searching), we wanted to keep the usage fluid. But noting your points, what we have done is the following:-

1. The list now has a 100 records in it.
    2. When you search (e.g. for "Be"), it now orders the list to display anyones surnames that start "Be" first (like Becker, Boris; Beckford, Karl etc..) and then will list students names that contains "be" (like Abbey, David).

I think this is better, appreciate your comments, we have already put this in the server side update, which will be available to all existing (and new) customers for Emerge which should be auto-updated later this week.
    I updated my app last night and tested, it works a treat now. Many more students in the list by default, and the search results are ordered by those starting with Be first, then other occurences, as wanted. It's still very quick, and works a treat. So thank you very much.

Have any of those schools testing, got any feedback yet, or is it too soon due to half-term...?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 1st March 2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: clarity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I updated my app last night and tested, it works a treat now. Many more in the list by default, and the search terms are ordered by those starting with Be first, then other occurences, as wanted. It's still very quick, and works a treat. So thank you very much.

Have any of those schools testing, got any feedback yet, or is it too soon due to half-term...?
    I've just bought an iPOD touch and installed it on the device so our head of PE can have a play doing the registers etc. Early signs (yesterday and today) looks like it works well and they would be happy to use them if we purchase more for the department.

Thank Post
    How is this working out for people?

I have been asked to have laptops ready at the start of assemblies for staff to do sims registers on but it seems a little awkward for making sure they are all charged etc as i would have to 'collect' them from another department before each assembly and return them after (Thinking having 6 laptops logged in ready for staff to log on to sims, balancing a laptop and trying to use it, potential wireless dropout vs using 6 ipod touches).

Having X number of ipod touches at the front of the hall ready for a staff member to pick one up to do their register seems a better plan as they could be used on trips etc (kept in our office on charge when not in use).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux_Nut View Post
    How is this working out for people?

I have been asked to have laptops ready at the start of assemblies for staff to do sims registers on but it seems a little awkward for making sure they are all charged etc as i would have to 'collect' them from another department before each assembly and return them after (Thinking having 6 laptops logged in ready for staff to log on to sims, balancing a laptop and trying to use it, potential wireless dropout vs using 6 ipod touches).

Having X number of ipod touches at the front of the hall ready for a staff member to pick one up to do their register seems a better plan as they could be used on trips etc (kept in our office on charge when not in use).
    we've been trialling it for around 2 weeks now and up to now the PE teachers love it. They are even thinking off other ways they could utilise the iPOD's in their teaching - bleep test app etc.

Thank Post
    @linux_nut - i'm really keen on that idea. Just trying to convince the SLT here that it's worth doing.

Much easier to use an iDevice than a laptop. Other things to consider:

iPad is easier to use. Yes more expensive, but. . .
    You can have 3 devices or even just 1 and get teachers to share them, assuming assembly is long enough - at least initially to prove concept.
    There will be an Android version coming soon, thus more cost saving.
    Tell SLT they will get access to the devices when not in use, so they can do spot inspections on the corridor and know who should be where and when
    Also, very useful for trips as you said, and medical info for the nurse / first aider.

Thank Post
    I have some new information, starting with, we just got approval to buy two iPad2s over the summer to trial out in the PE department with SIMS Emerge, and other apps for use in the department. Yay!

Has anyone else got any feedback from their trials?

Also here are some updates to come:

Android will be the next platform for Emerge, and it is expected to be released in September. Blackberry and WP7 would follow in the future due to current lack of popularity.

The next release of Emerge is on 23rd of May sporting:

Lesson Cover
    Multiple Profiles
    Remote Wipe
    Timetable weekly view
    Image Capture
    SMS integration
    and some other console updates and bug fixes.

Behaviour / achievement recording has been delayed to September so it can be revolutionised.

I'm hoping that remote wipe is the feature i wanted for the data to timeout and become inaccessible.

Thank Post
    SMS integration
    This will be integration with their GroupCall thing, right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    This will be integration with their GroupCall thing, right?
    The exact phrase was
    Messenger Integration (SMS messaging from Emerge database)
    So i took this to mean the data we provide out of SIMS, not their other product. In the same way you can now call a number in contacts, you could send a text.

Thank Post
    The exact phrase was

So i took this to mean the data we provide out of SIMS, not their other product. In the same way you can now call a number in contacts, you could send a text.
    Oh, so you mean on an iPhone?

Thank Post
    The prices say £299 for the first device, £99 per device following this - we presume that includes the iphone also, so can you confirm this, and if so, which model do you provide (3G, 4 etc) and do we have to set up the phone network once it arrives?

Thank you

Thank Post
    @Edu-IT - Yes for an iPhone.

@Palleon - they dont provide the devices, you would need to supply these, either iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, i would go for the latest but it will work on any that support iOS 4. I wish it came with the iPhone!

You'd have to setup your own devices, however, if a member of staff already has one, they just need to download the app from your server, and it would work. And there is a way to remotely disable the app, should for when they leave.

Thank Post
    @Edu-IT - Yes for an iPhone.

@Palleon - they dont provide the devices, you would need to supply these, either iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, i would go for the latest but it will work on any that support iOS 4. I wish it came with the iPhone!

You'd have to setup your own devices, however, if a member of staff already has one, they just need to download the app from your server, and it would work. And there is a way to remotely disable the app, should for when they leave.
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Those prices seem a little steep then if they do not include the devices. We already pay for a SIMS license, plus other SIMS things on top, plus we have to buy the phones - so this App just seems to work as a portal between the two - but for a huge amount of money. We may have to leave that for now then sadly.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Palleon View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Those prices seem a little steep then if they do not include the devices. We already pay for a SIMS license, plus other SIMS things on top, plus we have to buy the phones - so this App just seems to work as a portal between the two - but for a huge amount of money. We may have to leave that for now then sadly.

Thanks again for letting us know.
    An iPhone is priced around £400 nowadays. You can run this on an iPod Touch which aren't badly priced now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast