+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, looking for free web-based admission and parents' information update application in Technical; I am looking for a free way integrate admission and parent information update into our current website. I currently have ...
    Thank Post

looking for free web-based admission and parents' information update application

I am looking for a free way integrate admission and parent information update into our current website. I currently have joomla powered website but I am ok if joomla won't help with that since I didn't publish the website yet. I have the parents' info of this school year in a database stored locally on MSSQL server and I would like to import this data to the new system to allow the parents to update their info as needed and to enable them for admission for the next school year.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Data security nightmare!! Over here the LA deals with this, they use Capita ONE (formally EMS), which allows the parents to register online for (public) schools in the local area which then feeds into the central database and then down to the schools.

No idea how independant schools do it or schools in other countries.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Data security nightmare!! Over here the LA deals with this, they use Capita ONE (formally EMS), which allows the parents to register online for (public) schools in the local area which then feeds into the central database and then down to the schools.

No idea how independant schools do it or schools in other countries.
    How does that help the OP?

To the OP, I don't think you're going to find a simple free system that can do this - you're more likely to have to get something custom made. What MIS is it you use that has these details in the MSSQL database?

Thank Post
    Was more hinting that they maybe some larger regional solution rather then having to create a potentional security risk.

@localzuk - OP??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Which MIS are you currently using?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Was more hinting that they maybe some larger regional solution rather then having to create a potentional security risk.

@localzuk - OP??
    OP = Original Poster.

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

matt40k (8th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Salaam, khayfak?
    I'm in Jeddah, where are you? If i can help, please get in touch.
    More details of your system would be helpful. Which is the new system that you are moving to? Or is it just that you want to set up the new year.
    We are using SIMS here.

Thank Post
    Well... Since we have a full time windows application developer, we have our own developed in-house VB.NET and MSSQL based MIS. This makes things easier for me, I can ask the developer to pull the data nightly/hourly in bulk or I can just ask him to connect directly to the website's database to pull the information as-needed.

Since there seems to be no practical ready-to-use solution for this problem I think I should create my own, now I have two problems.

- Which software/framework should I use to create this system?
    - How should I go about securing the parent access to his information?

I have some thoughts that I would like to share with you regarding these two questions, for the software that I might use, I have two routes, the first route is using CMS like drupal or MODx, the second route is using CRM like CiviCRM. The second issue is a bit complicated since we don't have the website published yet! thats why I am thinking maybe I could send the parent an SMS security token to allow him access to his information but I didn't go about how to impelement that yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Your best bet is to get your developer to set this up for you, as the link to the MIS is key.

Most places request information update on paper from parents (this is the old way), more recently the data from MIS is available on the web and can be updated, but this usually is in the form of a bought package from the MIS supplier or one that links to the MIS.

Securing the data is going to be very important. At a simplistic level, you can create your website with a secured area, that requires username/password. Once authenticated to this area, the system can match the login details to pull back their information, you can then either ask them to update that live, or submit updates to a temp area where one of your staff can then review it and amend manually.

I don't think it's complicated enough to need a CRM tool, a web system, with CMS if it allows you to set it up as above, should be fine. It sounds like your developer is capable of doing what is needed. If extra help is required, the questions might be better placed on the web / coding forums. Is your developer a member here yet?

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll test the CRM (drupal) solution since it seems sensible at that point and see how it goes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread