+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Creating MSSQL scripts in Technical; Hey all, Just wondering what we are allowed to do in doing SQL queries on SIMS. I presume we're allowed ...

Thank Post

Creating MSSQL scripts

Hey all,
    Just wondering what we are allowed to do in doing SQL queries on SIMS. I presume we're allowed to do select statements?!
    Last edited by Pashers; 1st February 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention we use SIMS

Thank Post
    It all depends on the policy of the software supplier who provides your MIS.

Thank Post
    What are you trying to do?

Thank Post
    Well I've managed to gather the timetable for the year for an individual teacher. With teaching lessons/rooms and assigned non-teaching lessons (i.e.. if they have other duties). It'll put in in a csv format so the teacher can import into outlook's calendar. Just wondered if it was OK to do this or not. Took ages to find the correct views etc.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I'm current away banging my head against the wall. This has come up a number of times, suggest you do a search.

Commandreporter and staff timetables.
    Last edited by matt40k; 1st February 2011 at 02:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I did have a search around and I wanted it slightly different, I wanted it so each day had a date assigned to it (e.g. 17/01/11 was Mon1) etc. Then the staff could import it into the outlook calendar. I didn't just want each day if that makes sense.

Thank Post
    So let me get this right, you want to be able to exportthe SIMS timetable for each teacher and be able to import it into Outlook Calander?

The timetable needs to include, class code (10a/Eng5), Subject, Room and "day" (Mon:1)

And you'll want school events as well?

Thank Post
    Generally I find that most educational software houses stipulate that schools should not even go into SQL and execute any queries at all, it's normally written in their contracts. However, select statements are harmless so as long as you don't tell the provider you actually went into SQL and had a prod around - it's all good!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    So let me get this right, you want to be able to exportthe SIMS timetable for each teacher and be able to import it into Outlook Calander?
    Yes, I've managed to do the query so it retrieves the date/day/class code/non-teaching (for example if they are on call, reg, cover)/holidays/school activities.

And I've tested it and imported it into the outlook calendar. Works beautifully .

But just wondered if we were allowed to select from SIMS.

Thank Post
    What user are you running it as? SA?

Capita have a tool called DBDiagnose.exe, it's in the SIMS Application directory (C:\program files\sims\sims .net), basically, it runs SQL scripts on the SIMS database, BUT they need to have a signature.

If you're thinking of making it public (on supportnet, edugeek or such), I would try and get they them to create a signature for it. At least then it uses the SIMS permissions, it's had the "this won't destroy your data, but we won't support it if it doesn't do what it says on the tin" seal of approval from Capita.

Personally, you're re-inventing the wheel.

Thank Post
    Here's an example of what the outcome would look like:
    Date, Day, Subject Code, Start Time, End Time, Room, Subject
    02/02/2011 00:00:00, 2We, 12B/Ma3, 10:10, 11:10, D9, Ma,

Then the teaching staff can choose what fields they wish to have and import it into the outlook calendar. So for example they might just want the date and time (obviously needed), and subject code and the room.

If there is a script out there which someone has already done which gets this then yes I have re-invented the wheel :-).

Whereas, I got the impression that the one you showed me didn't do the date it just got the day i.e. Mon1. When I wanted 07/02/2011 - Mon1 etc.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    It didn't have the dates assigned to the days. I've created a program now which does the following:
    The staff enters in their staff code.
    The script runs and saves a text document in the following format - Date/Day Name/Class Code/Period Start/Period End/Room/Class
    so the result would be: 02/02/2011, 2Tu, 7DS/Ar, 10:10, 11:10, D8, Ar,

But it will display the results from today to the end of the year. They then could import it into the calendar.

The teacher could then go into Outlook and import this data into the calendar.

Thank Post
    True, but it's not that more difficult add it on. I could if I had the time, I could create a app that would run it for the school year or a specific date and give each staff a csv import, having said that, I would get it to auto import.

It would 1. be safe, 2. be customable by the school (just edit the SIMS report), 3. use the SIMS permissions

The idea of using the SIMS permissions\system is that it's all audited. I'm guessing your using the SA or such account and bypassing this.

Thank Post
    I've had a look at the report and I must admit I don't use SIMS at all. So I might be missing the point with the report, but when I run it it still shows them teaching on half term etc. Also it still didn't tell me if it was Mon1 or Mon2, it still came up with both and for the week.

Yes I'm using the SA account to bypass it. Now I have the query I might make it so they can access it via the VLE too. so they can download it and import it etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast