+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, sims.net slow when saving record in Technical; Hi When updating a record for example phone number, sims.net is slow to save when saving overall record. It stall ...

Thank Post

sims.net slow when saving record

Hi When updating a record for example phone number, sims.net is slow to save when saving overall record. It stall for 30 seconds then saves. The connection to the server is quick and I can save files direct to the server with no problems.

Thanks

Thank Post
    There is a patch you can run for this I think .... anyone know the number? (as I would be very interested in it msyelf!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What spec is the server? What size are your SIMS database files and what version of SQL Server are you using (ie. full or express)?

Thank Post
    Hi Server is 16gb ram 8 core 3.00 xeon e5450, server 2003r2 with full version of sql

Thank Post
    sorry ldf is: 1.25mb
    mdf is: 4.31GB
    Docstorage 40gb

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so that pretty much eliminates the server spec or the database size as the problem, that all looks fine. I think this is probably one to speak to SIMS support about, as someone has already mentioned a patch, they may know which one and release it to you to install.

Thank Post
    There is patch 14265 - This addresses Timeout errors | Runtime Errors | Slow performance on Individual workstations and on Server.

We have found SIMS, especially registers, running very slowly since the last update. We had been getting numerous timeout issues which was especially fun as instead of gracefully letting the user know this has happened SIMS crashes with a hidden error message so the teacher doesn't know until they actively try adn do something with the computer, also losing the register data in the process.

We logged a call and we got asked to do various things including apply that patch, although we have previously done it. In the end we restarted the server and ran Database Diagnostic and Validate Memberships - (Tools | System Diagnostics | Database Diagnostic and Tools | Validate Memberships). This seems to have solved it so far.

Thank Post
    We have had this before - try renaming "my sims documents" folder (inside my documents) so it creates a new one. Edit - for that particular user.

9. Thanks to maark from:

SeanVin (6th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Ok tried to rename folder. This has made no diffrence. I have logged a call with capita and awaiting there responce.

Thanks

11. Thanks to itgeek from:

Ben-BSH (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I would go with logging a support call, which you've done.

Try server reboot, helps to clean stuff up sometimes, and also as recommended, db diagnostics and validate memberships - always worth a try.

You can add a commandtimeout=10000 parameter to the connect.ini which is sometimes a solution for random errors, even upping it to 100000. However, if it eventually does save, then it's not timing out.

Perhaps the patch can fix things up, otherwise, there may be something causing a delay, either another user with edit rights on the same records, or some other process, taking priority.
    There have been a couple of other threads with similar problems. You can do some diagnostics using SQL Management studio, looking for locks and other things. jinnantonnix is our resident expert with that sort of issue. Have a scan of some of the other threads.

It could be down to a third party application or even a backup routine, holding things up.

Do you have other systems installed on this server or elsewhere that access the DB, e.g groupcall, bromcom, twf, behaviour systems, etc. ?
    I'm assuming you're on sql 2008, which version of sims you running?
    Is it only for one user / one machine..?
    What if you're editing the record for a staff member (assuming it's a student record with the problem, if not, vice versa)?
    Are any other changes being made at the same time, and / or when you update the number does it warn you that it will also update other people with the same number?

13. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Ben-BSH (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks itgeek! the rename of the folder fixed the problem here! you da man!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    Ok tried to rename folder. This has made no diffrence. I have logged a call with capita and awaiting there responce.

Thanks
    Did you get a response from capita?

We are having the same issue with modifying the students details page - Parental consent - primary contact etc all take about 30 seconds to save. Regardless of which user logs into Sims. If I logon to the PC with my account its fine regardless of the Sims account I use.

Started doing some tests between our 2 accounts admin rights/redirected My Docs and homedrives but the only thing i've found to help is moving the user into a different OU in AD and replicating GPO's after a gpupdate and a profile refresh they can save in 5 seconds. Can't 100% nail down the cause of the issue so far. No idea why anything to do with user location in AD would affect Sims save times!?

Pete

Thank Post
    You could try a gpupdate on the existing user in old AD. Try running simsperm.bat or the equivalent permissions, which are in another thread here somewhere, altered for Windows 7 ones too.

Thank Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone know how to run the 14265 patch? We've been sent it, but with no instructions. Buried within is a .SQL file, and opening this opens SQL Management Studio, but executing this brings up an errors about files not being found.

Thank Post
    They should never send out just a patch file unless they are sure the recipient knows what they are doing.
    You should not need to open the SQL file, and running it directly could be dangerous.

You should have a zip file a signature file and an XML file, so if you were sent a single zip, unzip it one level to get those three, i normally create a dated folder with the number and description for later tracking.

All patches are run in the same way, using dbupgrade. Instructions attached. Doing it this way, ensures a backup is taken, though they always recommend taking your own first as well. It will also undo the process, if you're lucky, in case it goes wrong.
    Instructions on applying a patch.pdf

19. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Gongalong (13th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast