+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Server Hardware for a large School in Technical; We have 1800 students, 750 computers & 300 members of staff. We are blessed with Capita coming on site next ...
    Thank Post

SIMS Server Hardware for a large School

We have 1800 students, 750 computers & 300 members of staff.

We are blessed with Capita coming on site next month to help us move our SIMS databases onto a new server, with a fresh setup.

Not wanting to waste this opportunity, I want to buy a new server to run it on, to ensure that SIMS runs as quickly as we can reasonably make it (the reality is it'll have to be an Ebay special). Capita have advised 2008 64bit enterprise for the OS, but am unsure how much server power will be needed.

Are their any IT geeks from large schools who already have a good setup that runs well? Our current server spends most of the day at 90-100% CPU usage.

Kind regards,
    John.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 31st January 2011 at 10:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    If you have to go ebay you could get something like this
    HP ProLiant DL380 G5 2 x Quad-Core 8Gb 2U Rack Server on eBay (end time 04-Feb-11 12:11:03 GMT)

But all depends on your budget - if you could give us more detail into what you have now would be great

Mines Currently a VM but have 4 cpu's and 10gb of ram. Running Server 2k8 R2 64bit
    Last edited by glennda; 31st January 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    We have a 2 & dual core @ 2.992 Ghz, with 16 GB ram. RAID 6 HDD (the HDDs are slow and rubbish though).

Realistically we can afford 2-3k, but could go beyond that if needed/justified. I really just want to get it right!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    We have a 2 & dual core @ 2.992 Ghz, with 16 GB ram. RAID 6 HDD (the HDDs are slow and rubbish though).

Realistically we can afford 2-3k, but could go beyond that if needed/justified. I really just want to get it right!
    What make/model - as if you are trying to do on the cheap you may be able to reuse the Ram and maybe replace in a year or two as that will save a fortune

5. Thanks to glennda from:

Johan (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Dell 1900, not sure on memory itself. It currently is running VMware ESXi (which makes it tricker to find details).

Ideally, a Dell server with a remaining warranty.

The thing that I am really unsure on is how much power will I need given the size of the school?

Thank Post
    Someone from ITSS recently sent me this specifications sheet for SIMS (attached), it may help.

Andrew

sims_hardware_spec.pdf

8. Thanks to adhutton from:

vikpaw (31st January 2011)

Thank Post
    That is extremely useful, thank you. Processing power is surprisingly high, will focus on this!

Kind regards,
    John.

Thank Post
    If you spec two physical CPUs and lots of RAM you had better use the full version of SQL rather than express, otherwise quite a lot of hardware is going to be sat there doing nothing.

Thank Post
    Dell 1900, not sure on memory itself. It currently is running VMware ESXi (which makes it tricker to find details).

Ideally, a Dell server with a remaining warranty.

The thing that I am really unsure on is how much power will I need given the size of the school?

Ah okay - i'm guessing the VM doesn't have all the resources the physical box has?

Also how big is the sims database - as i would try and give it alot more ram then the size of the database. So the Sql process can cache the entire database which will make it a lot faster.

I don't have much experience with the Dell Hardware as I am an HP man but something with either Dual Quad Core and probably double the size of the sims database size in Ram - This means the entire database can sit in the Ram which makes the queries from the client alot faster rather then having to read from the disks.

Plus as Dmcoy says you will need the full sql License - around 75 on a schools agreement plus cals

Thank Post
    Thank you. We already have full SQL, and suspect you are right about the RAM/CPU. The DB is 5GB, so suspect 8 x 3ghz core & 16gb RAM should do well!

Kind regards,
    John.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Thank you. We already have full SQL, and suspect you are right about the RAM/CPU. The DB is 5GB, so suspect 8 x 3ghz core & 16gb RAM should do well!

Kind regards,
    John.
    Sounds good, though even with the old server and lower spec', i'm surprised you were constantly at 90%. That's some serious usage.
    Will you virtualise on this new server too? Makes sense to, and get a nice snapshot, once they've commissioned it, so that you can fall back.
    I'd go with Windows 2008 R2, since it's supported now, and saves you needing to update later on.
    Haven't spec'ed servers for a while, but can't you get something new for 3k, especially if you can up the budget a little. May as well get something decent up front, and if you're virtualising, you can maybe put another service on there too.

BTW: 1500 students, 200+ staff, probably 500 PCs. IBM blade dual quad core, vmware sphere, giving 4 cpu, 10gb RAM. Win2k3, SQL 2k8 at the moment. It can sometimes be a bit laggy/slow, but resources are fine.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 31st January 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    We use VMware ESXi (yes the free version) extensively. However, given the performance issues we have, I want to make use of all 8 cores for the one virtual server. I would love to keep it on a VM platform, but the enterprise plus version is seemingly 600 a physical CPU & from what I understand, is what I would need!

Interestingly we did see an IBM blade, totalling about 20 CPUs and 40gb of RAM & inbuilt cisco switch. Whilst an amasing beast, I decided that they would probably be an extra level of complexity to learn & configure before Capita arrive next month.

Thank Post
    Realistically all you need is 2 x Quad Core CPUs, 16GB of RAM (so you can fit your entire SIMS DB in RAM) and 4 x 10/15,000RPM SAS drives in RAID 10. Run Win2008 64 bit.

That should be fine.

Butuz

Thank Post
    I've never seen the SIMS server take up that much processing power really. We have an HP server with 4GB of RAM (32bit OS) and a quad core 2GHz Xeon, so well under their recommended now. We only have 75 or so concurrent users at most though. Running SQL Express 2008. CPU useage is never above 25%, and tends to stay less than 10%. I know Express doesn't make the most of the hardware, but the workstation performance is pretty good. I'm more tempted to put SSDs in it than upgrade outright, though it has another 4GB of RAM waiting for a 64bit OS upgrade.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    We use VMware ESXi (yes the free version) extensively. However, given the performance issues we have, I want to make use of all 8 cores for the one virtual server. I would love to keep it on a VM platform, but the enterprise plus version is seemingly 600 a physical CPU & from what I understand, is what I would need!

Interestingly we did see an IBM blade, totalling about 20 CPUs and 40gb of RAM & inbuilt cisco switch. Whilst an amasing beast, I decided that they would probably be an extra level of complexity to learn & configure before Capita arrive next month.
    Worth evaluating exactly what features you need, though. We have Advanced version and though we don't gain much because we've saturated our blades, we still get better performance, snapshotting (a god send) and a degree of failover. It's not particularly fault tolerant but could be in the future.

It's worth looking in to VMWare Essentials which is very cheap, but does limit you somewhat, on procs, cores etc, but you don't need to have 8 virtual cores, trust me, lots of people run on much less than that. I spoke to a guy at BETT that is running very happily with Essentials.

There is also Essentials Plus, which has extra features. Look into it. The biggest thing to bear in mind is that it's fixed to 3 servers only, as it's aimed at SMBs. If you need to expand more than that, you would have to buy a regular licence, and either keep the 3 Essential systems as they are stand alone in their own management group or relicence them under whichever package you choose.

VMware Online Store - Buy VMware vSphere Essentials Bundle for Server Consolidation
    VMware Online Store - Buy VMware vSphere Essentials Bundle for Server Consolidation

1st link should be for Essentials, 2nd for Essentials Plus.

Also, it's only 1 kit each, so you can't keep buying them. This is all based on talks with our rep' last April time.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 1st February 2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarity

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast