+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Discover, graphics, and thin clients in Technical; On the back of another post recently where graphic cards are being discussed in response to Discover, I thought I'd ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Discover, graphics, and thin clients

On the back of another post recently where graphic cards are being discussed in response to Discover, I thought I'd ask this question early and see what the expected behaviour is for Discover.

We run thin client machines for our admin staff. If Discover is going to have graphics requirements, what effect is this going to have on thin client systems?

Does it mean I'm going to be forced to look at updating the system to use Windows 2008 R2 with its improvements in the RDP protocol with graphics and offloading to graphics cards?

Or will it continue to run fine on the 2003 R2 servers we have it on at the moment, with no special graphics cards etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    On the back of another post recently where graphic cards are being discussed in response to Discover, I thought I'd ask this question early and see what the expected behaviour is for Discover.

We run thin client machines for our admin staff. If Discover is going to have graphics requirements, what effect is this going to have on thin client systems?

Does it mean I'm going to be forced to look at updating the system to use Windows 2008 R2 with its improvements in the RDP protocol with graphics and offloading to graphics cards?

Or will it continue to run fine on the 2003 R2 servers we have it on at the moment, with no special graphics cards etc...
    Until the specs are finalised, it's wait and see. The bigger problem is timescales. How much notice will schools/LA's have to test and buy card(s) and then fit them to admin/SLT PC's before the product is released. There are over 10,000 pc/laptops with Sims installed in our authority, only a handful (laptops) have dedicated GC's. Not all of those 10,000 users will need Discover, but if it's say 10% do, then that's a lot of work/money to upgrade in a short time span.

Thank Post
    We have done work to support thin clients - don't have the details as I'm stuck in a hotel in the middle of nowhere!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear that thin clients have been considered as some of the offloading features do need to be specificly designed for so if it is not considered in the initial development then thin clients would probably be stuck for the life of the software if the wrong initial design decisions were made.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    They say not everyone will need Discover but some literature I read mentions putting analysis in the hands of everyone. I can see that being a good idea if it's so easy.

Will post the document I found in the other thread as it need bring back to topic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread