+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, .Net 4.0 for SIMS Spring Release? in Technical; Hi All, Was just wondering if anyone knew whether .Net 4.0 is going to be included in the package or ...

Thank Post

.Net 4.0 for SIMS Spring Release?

Hi All,
    Was just wondering if anyone knew whether .Net 4.0 is going to be included in the package or if it will have to be installed manually prior to installing the Spring Release?

If its the Latter I am going to have a lot of work ahead of me

Thanks in advance.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Not in the package because it is instalable from Solus 3.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Not in the package because it is instalable from Solus 3.
    But when is Solus 3 available ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    But when is Solus 3 available ?
    Now.

Phase 2 I think.

I'm just trying to get to grips with it.

Thank Post
    We received this via Email on 5th January:- SOLUS3 3.2.74 - now available!
    Then again we trialled SOLUS3.2 (except we had issues at the time which meant we could not fully test it).
    It may be that it was not available generally in this format. Though I think it was delivered with the Autumn Upgrade (but I may be mistaken on that score!).

Sometimes it's hard to separate Field Trial conditions to Normal Setup conditions! One tends to forget that one is operating under different circumstances!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 25th January 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last email that was forwarded to me on the subject of Solus 3.2 was that it was going to be a phased rollout over 3 months, it's on my list of things to chase up.

(We've had nothing to do with Solus 3 so far)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    From the guys at Bett on the Sims stand they said solus would available in the spring release.

Thank Post
    For the first time i will give credit to capita with solus 3 it is what i have been waiting for for years.

.net 3.5 was installed by solus when i sent the client to our machines

the last upgrade we just left the machines on and they upgraded had one or two oddballs but that was due to the machine not solus.

it works but could use a few gui tweeks/options but it saves me so much time.

Thank Post
    I'm hoping I can use WSUS to drop it on the machines. I am however a bit worried about some of our older machine which I've clogged up the HDD on as it seemed a large install last time I installed it.

Thank Post
    For you LA peeps out there, if your using SOLUS3, did you et it up in each school manually? or give the school instructions on how to?

Thank Post
    Hey Rawns - we haven't distributed Spring to schools yet.

It will happen on Monday probably, but as far as SOLUS 3 is concerned we will probably look to go in and set it up (working alongside the IT team) in a few schools who want it first.

Hopefully we'll use a handful of Secondaries and a a few Primaries too and this will allow us to draw up realistic (non test environment) instructions pretty quick for the rest as and when they want it.

Thank Post
    The plan has been that .net4 should be installed on workstations however we are hearing of some potential problems that partner products have with .net4. We are seeing if we can delay the need to go to .net4 and are doing some testing.

We will make an announcement as soon as we know more.

Posted by Phil Neal on SupportNet 26 January 2011 at 5:50 pm

13. Thanks to creese from:

vikpaw (28th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    The plan has been that .net4 should be installed on workstations however we are hearing of some potential problems that partner products have with .net4. We are seeing if we can delay the need to go to .net4 and are doing some testing.

We will make an announcement as soon as we know more.

Posted by Phil Neal on SupportNet 26 January 2011 at 5:50 pm
    Can't get on SupportNet, internet is slow, due to major flooding
    Doesn't Discover rely on .Net 4 ...?

Thank Post
    Latest News

Important News Item - SIMS Infrastructure Upgrade to Microsoft .NET 4.0

Background

For some time we have been planning to base the SIMS 2011 Spring release on the Microsoft .NET 4.0 framework. This means it requires .NET 4.0 to be deployed to every workstation that runs SIMS. If this is not in place then SIMS will not run. SOLUS 3 helps to automate the process of deploying SIMS and other necessary components such as the .NET 4.0 framework. Based on recent discussions with a range of customers we have concluded that not many have yet deployed the .NET 4 framework to the workstations, or commenced deployment of SOLUS 3. We have therefore taken the decision to defer the introduction of .NET 4.0 until the Summer 2011 release of SIMS. As a result, the forthcoming Spring 2011 release of SIMS will be based on .NET 2.0, inline with the previous release.

The deferral of our implementation of the .NET 4.0 framework will give customers longer to deploy SOLUS 3 to support both the SIMS Summer release and SIMS Discover, both of which will be much easier to install using SOLUS 3. More detail on this issue is provided below.

Deployment of SOLUS 3 for SIMS Summer 2011 Release

It is important that LA and school customers understand the importance of moving quickly to using SOLUS 3 to deploy SIMS software before the SIMS Summer 2011 release.

The SIMS Summer release will require .NET 4.0. SOLUS 3 is the best way to deliver the Microsoft .NET framework version 4.0 to SIMS workstations and the server. Without SOLUS3, an upgrade to the .NET infrastructure would require a visit to each workstation with administrator access rights to perform the installation. Once installed and set up, SOLUS 3 will perform this upgrade on all workstations identified as SIMS computers without the need to visit each station. Clearly this will save a significant amount of time compared to performing this on onemachine at a time.

One of the main reasons we need to deploy the .NET 4.0 framework is to ensure SIMS is built on the best technical platform possible. This allows us to develop software such as InTouch, SOLUS 3 itself, and SIMS Discover and build in features and functions that would not be possible if we used earlier versions of the framework. Many SIMS Partner products are also planning to take advantage of the benefits that the .NET 4.0 framework delivers.

Deployment of SOLUS 3 for SIMS Discover

To use SIMS Discover the .NET 4.0 framework must be installed on the server and the workstation. SIMS Discover also requires further infrastructure components to be installed that would take time if done one at a time on individual machines. SOLUS 3 has been designed in such a way as to be able to ‘push’ all the components of Discover onto a SIMS workstation remotely, without the need for a workstation visit. SIMS Discover will be available between the SIMS Spring and Summer releases, around the middle of April 2011. Therefore, those customers wishing to make early use of Discover ought to consider upgrading to SOLUS 3 before the release of Discover itself to make installation straightforward and avoid individual workstation visits.

In summary – installing the Microsoft .NET 4.0 framework , the components of SIMS Discover, and the SIMS 2011 Summer release will be a lot simpler for those schools that have deployed SOLUS 3.

How to get SOLUS 3

The SOLUS 3 field trial has just completed and we are pleased to be able to make the field trial version of the software available for customers to start using now. If you would like access to the SOLUS 3 software, documentation etc please contact Ben Jones (ben.jones@capita.co.uk) or Jonathan Wood (jonathan.wood@capita.co.uk) to request further information on how to proceed.

The field trial version of the software is fully upgradeable to the release version of the SOLUS 3. We expect to make this available by the end of February 2011. This will give customers around four months to upgrade to SOLUS 3 in order to support the SIMS Summer 2011 Release in June. Those customers wishing to install SIMS Discover are advised to upgrade to SOLUS 3 before the release of Discover in April.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It will not be possible to postpone the release of the .NET 4.0 framework beyond the SIMS Summer 2011 release. Those sites that have not successfully installed and upgraded to SOLUS 3 will need to visit each workstation in order to perform any subsequent SIMS Upgrade.

For those customers that will apply the .NET 4.0 framework themselves without SOLUS 3, the correct version to install is: ‘Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended’

If required, you can download the Microsoft .NET framework 4.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

Posted: 1st February 2011 by Jonathan Wood

16. 3 Thanks to creese:

cmaxinuk (2nd May 2011), LukeC (11th February 2011), Steven_Cleaver (11th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Nice one creese!
    Had that been me I'd have just posted the SupportNet link to the news item!
    Jolly decent of you to drop it all in!
    Now wait for the backlash from those that did not realise they needed .net4 for Discover!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 1st February 2011 at 01:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast