+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, .Net 4.0 for SIMS Spring Release? in Technical; Odd. I have downloaded the full .net4, while extracting it say .net extended but when installing it says .net client ...

Thank Post
    Odd. I have downloaded the full .net4, while extracting it say .net extended but when installing it says .net client profile. is that ok

Thank Post
    Yup. Typical Microsoft.

Thank Post
    Another issue I have just encountered is the footprint on c. My server was installed by the CC and they only gave it 10gb for the os drive. Well I only have 1gb of space left to play with so .net is not going to be an option on that.

New server is not an option. Can I move the partitions around or dump another drive in the machine? any recommendations.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    1) Tidy up.
    Clear some space. Delete unwanted files. Add a hard drive and move the page file there.

2) Resize.
    How big is the hard drive in total? Is there plenty of spare space on the other partition? There are a few partition resizing tools that you could use, but it's always a scary thing. Need a good backup of all partitions in case things go wrong and you need to rebuild. I've used Partition Magic before and i think it got bought out by Norton. Easeus and Paragon have free options, but not sure if they work on Server OS. It always used to be separate software for client and server, may be different now.

Also, Windows has limited built-in functionality for this, if under specific conditions. Need to be dynamic disk. Not sure if you can do it to the root partition though.

3) Add a drive and make it the new C drive, rebuild from scratch, or clone the old one, using Norton Ghost. You could even virtualise onto a new disk.

Lots of options, but depends on your skills / confidence to implement. It seems rather shortsighted of the cc to have only given 10GB. I'd contact them initially, and ask their advice because it's their fault.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Another issue I have just encountered is the footprint on c. My server was installed by the CC and they only gave it 10gb for the os drive. Well I only have 1gb of space left to play with so .net is not going to be an option on that.

New server is not an option. Can I move the partitions around or dump another drive in the machine? any recommendations.
    You Could move the virtual memory (page file) to an alternative drive if that hasn't been carried out.
    Or use software to resize the partition, but personnaly i would be careful using that option.
    As for p2p networks, you would be surprised at how many authorities still have p2p for their Admin networks.
    Capita support approx. 180 schools in the northwest who are p2p, so in essence, each pc will need a visit to install the Solus3 agent before the Solus ui will pick them up, Capita then advise to use Solus 3 to deploy .Net4.
    I am advising their Technical staff to start the installs now for .net 4, giving schools a bigger window to deploy Solus3.
    Solus 2 will still be around for at least another year if not longer.

Thank Post
    Thank you Creese
    Do you know if Solus3 can deploy Sims.net onto a New workstation.
    It installs the Solus3 client, but will it install Sims?
    Thank you for your advice.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaxinuk View Post
    Thank you Creese
    Do you know if Solus3 can deploy Sims.net onto a New workstation.
    It installs the Solus3 client, but will it install Sims?
    Thank you for your advice.
    I believe so.

Currently Setups files are used, as Solus 3 is replacing that it has to. Or has to in the future.

I've not had time or resources to test it yet.

Thank Post
    You can install SIMS onto a new machine through Solus 3. However, I've not found out how to "reinstall" SIMS yet.

Thank Post

SIMS confirm

Finally found out that Solus3 cannot deploy Sims.net to a new workstation until it has downloaded a release update.

So basically because we installed Solus3 after the Spring 2011 update, we have to wait till Summer 2011 comes available online, download it with Solus3, then deploy it.

Nice 1 Capita

Thank Post
    If you have a domain it most certainly can deploy to a new pc. Please let me have the details of who you spoke to so I can see where the confusion is. (I hope it's not me that's confused!)
    Many thanks
    Phil

Thank Post
    @cmax - can you not just release the spring update to your domain and it will just reinstall the update. after doing that it will allow new installs. There is another thread here asking exactly that question, i'm sure, and matt40k described the process.

EDIT: link - SOLUS 3 Deployments
    EDIT2: i think but am not sure at all, but you can download a zip of whatever update you want solus3 to use, so you can tell it to use spring 11.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th May 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: citation

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    If you have a domain it most certainly can deploy to a new pc. Please let me have the details of who you spoke to so I can see where the confusion is. (I hope it's not me that's confused!)
    Many thanks
    Phil
    Finally had a chance to double check this and I'm afraid it was me that is confused - basically I had mis read the posting.

The way SOLUS3 works is that it takes the download and then deploys it including to new machines. However if you have deployed already and then install SOLUS3, SOLUS3 contains nothing to deploy until the next release. So install SOLUS3 first then you can deploy SIMS. I'm told that the documentation does say this but I have to admit that if you have to read the manual there's a problem!

Thank Post
    So can't you download an update for SOLUS 3 that you may have already deployed, and re-deploy it? I'm sure that's what @matt40k said elsewhere. Or does it have to take it's deployment data from SOLUS 2?

Thank Post
    I've setup a school with SOLUS3 from scratch which was on the Spring 11 release, then re-deployed Spring 11 via SOLUS3. It's then install SIMS Apps onto a new machine. No real problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Is it just a case of downloading .net 4 full from this link Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) installing it onto the server and Sims workstations and then waiting for the summer release?
    Can anyone confirm whether it's extended that is needed or whether just the client will do? :-S

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast