+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, .Net 4.0 for SIMS Spring Release? in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk Something to note out of all this is that there are 2 different versions of .net ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Something to note out of all this is that there are 2 different versions of .net 4. .net 4 client profile and .net4 full (there's no such thing as 'extended' as is being passed around by Capita and LEAs, other than the fact that Microsoft sometimes refers to the extra functionality in full as the 'extended' bit).

The summer release requires the .Net 4 full version to be installed. Makes me wonder why it requires it though as the only extra bits in full are:
    • ASP.NET
    • Advanced Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) functionality
    • .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle
    • MSBuild for compiling

And I'm pretty sure that MS hasn't switched to WCF just yet!
    You need full for SOLUS3. Capita have always told me you need FULL, I guess they're using the WCF stuff. The 'extended' normally gets said when we're talking about MSI deployment - as you have 'netfx_Core' and 'netfx_Extended'.

Thank Post

Self Install

Has a self-upgrade guide been released or is it as simple as running a patch? I've deployed .net 4.0 via WSUS and don't want to see my schools waste £150 on 5 minutes of Capita time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GardnerITLtd View Post
    Has a self-upgrade guide been released or is it as simple as running a patch? I've deployed .net 4.0 via WSUS and don't want to see my schools waste £150 on 5 minutes of Capita time.
    What do you mean? Installing .net 4.0? Or SOLUS3?

SOLUS3 is a service, a database, a user interface and an agent per (SIMS) workstation. If they charge you £150, that's good value. You'll looking at least a 1 days work if not more (1 days wage for the average technician is about £70).

Thank Post
    Solus3. Capita charge double that for p2p networks so I assume it won't take long to do it. Have you or anyone installed solus3 ?

Thank Post
    Yes, I've been on the field trial from day 1. Not sure why it would take longer. Pretty sure you can browse the computer network (ie p2p) and it'll deploy fine, I guess they're covering themselves.

If you're doing it from the Capita guide, I would say 4 hrs reading the documentation and planning, 2 hrs install the server bits out of hours (because I found it sometimes needs a restart), an 1 hr configuring, then it's a question of how you decide to deploy it and the number of clients will define the lenght of time to deploy the clients.

Capita recommends you use the user interface to deploy the agent to the clients, which is ok, just a lot of clicking if you have a lot of clients, although you can mass import them as a CSV file. They do give you help about scripting it, personally however I like to create a MST and deploy it over GPO along with .NET 4.0.

If your in a p2p network, they say the S3 server should be on 24/7, so you have two options, one is LA managed and the other is well... ignore it. If the S3 server can't pick up the clients, you can't (suprise, suprise) get it to deploy it, answer, do it manually. Loads of horrible settings to put it, answer, script or MST.

Thank Post
    At one school I have about 30-40 machines to deploy to. How did you generate the msi and mst does S3 do it for you? It is about time SIMS is capable of being pushed rather than pulled. Where is the guide located?

Thank Post
    I just don't grok Capita and this apparent focus on anything besides standard domain deployment methods. Genuine question: Are there really that many P2P networks with lots of SIMS clients about, or are LAs supposed to be using this for lots of little P2P schools they can see, network-wise, from some server in LA-land?

Thank Post
    I don't have any schools on p2p by the way. I'm not sure if I made it sound like I do. I only know of one small primary on p2p but that's just admin network with 2 pc's and one laptop

Thank Post
    I'm not sure if I made it sound like I do.
    No, it's not you so much as the perplexing (my words) "best possible way you could ever install dotNet4 is with Solus3.." line, which simply isn't true for most Windows domains especially when it's a relatively core, universal component like dotnet. Ergo, they're just not on the same planet as the rest of us or there's a vaguely credible reason for this e.g. lots of P2P boxes in the SIMS universe.

Thank Post
    You have to make the MST yourself. Capita could make it possible to generate, or the community could create something.

Small schools with 1-4 admin pcs are generally not likely to have a dedicated server, so they would, ideally, be managed by the LA centrally - SOLUS3 supports this, assuming they are on the WAN and they have all the correct ports opened.

Thank Post
    Small schools with 1-4 admin pcs are generally not likely to have a dedicated server
    I presume that's a dedicated Solus3 server using umm.. "modern" amounts of resources?

If so then fair enough for that aspect, but given that it is the year 2011 the majority of those schools around here have their 1-4 admin PCs as members of their Windows domain and whatever they prefer to use for s/w deployment ought to be doing the dotNet pre-req (to all their boxes regardless of SIMS).

Thank Post
    No, that a dedicated server as in Windows Server 2003/2008. As in those 1-4 aren't on the domain and stuff is done my hand. SOLUS3 shouldn't eat too much, it's more server heavy then SOLUS2 as it's more server based, but it should limit the amout of installs it does at once.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    No, that a dedicated server as in Windows Server 2003/2008. As in those 1-4 aren't on the domain and stuff is done my hand. SOLUS3 shouldn't eat too much, it's more server heavy then SOLUS2 as it's more server based, but it should limit the amout of installs it does at once.
    I work in an area filled with small first schools, and I am yet to come across any without their admin machines on a domain. Why do Capita feel its ok to dictate that we need to update SQL to SQL2008, or .Net to v4 but don't feel comfortable saying 'the best way to distribute it is with a simple msi using a GPO'. There are more of us domain users than tiny schools without domains!

Thank Post
    Is it just a case of downloading .net 4 full from this link Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) installing it onto the server and Sims workstations and then waiting for the summer release?

Thank Post
    @Edutech4schools - Yes, if you support a p2p school, download it, put it on your pen, then go around installing it, come Summer it'll just work.

@Localzuk - Sorry, I don't understand, the SOLUS3 agent is a MSI, .NET 4.0 is an MSI, you can deploy them both over GPO, Capita gives you enough information on how to do it, just not enough that anyone could do it. It's basically the same as Sophos, you push out the agent, then the central tool pushes out the updates etc.

PS: I know about 150 schools that can't afford a dedicated server and all they have is a basic desktop with a bit extra RAM. Why waste money if you don't need to?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast