+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, How long do you keep Sims back up and how do you do it? in Technical; Originally Posted by anne1 Tidybackups looks useful, thanks for the advice, however we are asked to keep the .bak files ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anne1 View Post
    Tidybackups looks useful, thanks for the advice, however we are asked to keep the .bak files , is it possible to use it to move the files rather than delete? The data manager wants to be able to get data back from up to a year ago by restoring the database to a duplicate sims system on a partition on his PC.

And if it could make tea as well that would be really helpful!
    As has been said before, all data is stored in the database, so you don't need a year old backup file to see data from last year, however, what it will show you is if a specific piece of data changes, so if some info was changed a year ago, you'd need the year old backup, and any one from after the change to see the difference. However, is that very likely? Some areas, such as changing names, addresses, school groups / classes, are stored in the history within sims, so it's still possible to see that. Things where it might apply are grades stored with a result set (no history), behaviour records (easily deleted) etc.

I keep as much data as i can, however, really a typical, grandfather, father, son strategy, should be more than sufficient. After many updates, a lot of backup files wont restore anyway, unless you keep virtual copies of the system prior to each upgrade, which is something i'm considering, via a snapshot.

Thank Post
    Mmm... I could get it to allow you to move them, I assume to a network location?

Making Tea is easy, it's transporting that's the problem!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Mmm... I could get it to allow you to move them, I assume to a network location?

Making Tea is easy, it's transporting that's the problem!!
    Actually, that's not a bad idea, if you can somehow get it into a typical backup strategy, so it goes into Folders labelled by the week, then moved to a monthly one, so it's actually doing the rotation for you. With the option of deleting when it rotates or just to maintain the archive. Then it's up to the netman or whoever to just delete a folder rather than look through a list of files, which is what i do at the mo'.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12