+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Discover delayed already :( in Technical; Creese; lemmings; those were the days. I can see in my minds eye the little blocker lemming holding up his/her ...

Thank Post
    Creese; lemmings; those were the days. I can see in my minds eye the little blocker lemming holding up his/her arms and tapping his foot impatiently.

Whoops. I'll turn off the nostalgia now. Later, at home, I'll hunt down a download ....

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipHamlyn View Post
    Creese; lemmings; those were the days. I can see in my minds eye the little blocker lemming holding up his/her arms and tapping his foot impatiently.

Whoops. I'll turn off the nostalgia now. Later, at home, I'll hunt down a download ....
    Fun at the time. I have no time for games so won't be trying to download tonight.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipHamlyn View Post
    Don't jump Phil ............. or we'll all have to follow ............ !!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Uh oh.
    Oh No More Lemmings? Yippee!

Thank Post
    Come on guys, lets not say it's delayed already it's so negative. We've known it is coming for a fair while and its now pretty close to release - in my book that means there was a delay quite late in the way up to it's release. The word already implies the delay was really early.

Hat's off to Capita for doing the honourable thing and adding it into the core SIMS package and making it possible to install in isolation. You folks get some stick but you definitely got that one spot on.

Discover looks really cool from what I've seen on the promo videos. I'd have guessed it uses the dedicated graphics card as its better for parallel processing than a normal CPU?

Oh yeah, almost forgot....

No need to download it, just play Classic Lemmings - here
    Last edited by superfletch; 21st January 2011 at 10:07 PM.

6. Thanks to superfletch from:

Sivadam (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    .... I'd have guessed it uses the dedicated graphics card ......
    That is one thing that is definitely recommended!

Thank Post
    I edited that post a couple of times.

Funny it looks like you were saying I recommend guessing Siv...

I'll admit I was quite surprised to see it required the dedicated GPU, I've heard rumours that it runs on some machines with integrated graphics though. With the way hardware is going I'm sure the onboard graphics will catch up soon enough.
    Last edited by superfletch; 21st January 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    ..... I've heard rumours that it runs on some machines with integrated graphics though..
    Yes it does in some cases, and performs quite well. The pattern is not a simple one however! Hopefully I'll see the results soon enough. Better not speculate too much before then!

And this delay is to add something that was not in the original spec for the initial release! So in that sense it is a positive move to delay for a month!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 21st January 2011 at 10:35 PM.

10. Thanks to Sivadam from:

superfletch (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm disappointed by the delay. Discover was originally slated for release in the Autumn term, so in my terms its 6 months late. Capita have been cranking up the excitement around discover for over 12 months now without even a beta test on general release. It was heavily demo'd at BETT just a week before this announcement. As an LA we've had to reduce some of our users expectations both of the release date and the number of machines that will actually be capable of running the software.

Having said that, it still looks like a great product!

Thank Post
    SIMS Discover was NEVER scheduled to be released in Autumn - except to the Field Trial Schools! This is actually what has happened.
    The release to all schools was always scheduled for the Spring Release. The delay of a month has been arranged so that EXTRA functionality can be added as a result of requests by the Field Trial users!
    Users will benefit from the enhancements and so waiting that extra few weeks will be well worth it!
    What you saw at Bett 2011 was a version in advance of what the Field Trial schools have. We will see the updated software at the wokshops at the beginning of February! There was no 'Discover' at Bett 2010. What you saw was just the 'Concept' of what Discover would look like! I am sure that Chris would have explained this at the time!

I have still got a Copy of the SIMS 2010 Roadmap as well as the SIMS 2011 Roadmap and the dates are very clear on both!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 24th January 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Exactly, it was demo'ed at BETT 2010, and now we're a year on. Which is why i was a little disappointed when i heard of the delay, because that means something else could go wrong and cause even more delays. It seems the field trials are way too close to the publicised release dates for my liking.

I'm just discussing trying out the iPhone app, which was the new thing at BETT this year, and hopefully, that is ready to go with no long wait.

CORRECTION: It wasn't the 'concept car' it was just demoed last year, but was supposed to "appear" in the latter part of 2010, which sort of implied it would be available by now.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 24th January 2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: correction

Thank Post
    I opened my mouth and told the SLT Discover would be with us when we did the Spring upgrade. When will I learn? (I first saw it in Nov 09 so have been waiting a long time.) Hey, (sneaky smile), I didn't say when the Spring Update was due - if I hold off 'till Discover is ready they will never know!!!

Thank Post
    SIMS Discover will be great and will help drive school improvement. But next time I'd prefer it if the SIMS marketing dept didn't hype it for 12 months first! 'Managing user expectations' is a useful euphemism for 'don't get carried away with all the hype!'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
    I opened my mouth and told the SLT Discover would be with us when we did the Spring upgrade. When will I learn? (I first saw it in Nov 09 so have been waiting a long time.) Hey, (sneaky smile), I didn't say when the Spring Update was due - if I hold off 'till Discover is ready they will never know!!!
    You may be lucky and be able to do it all in the Easter Holidays! Maybe! I don't have a release date yet either!

Thank Post
    Spring BETA was released to LA test schools today.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast