+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Individual Reports - crashing - now banging head against wall in Technical; Originally Posted by DeeGee LosOjos: I've had a little look, and it was a huge png file. For some reason ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    LosOjos: I've had a little look, and it was a huge png file. For some reason I can't put a vector version into Word, so I've deleted the whole thing and used a text logo for the time being. Graphic logos have been causing reports on the other site to be very slow generating as well, so I'll have a look at both of them.

Vikpaw: Thanks, I'll look at permissions...
    You could make a reduced sized version of the image (file size I mean, not physical) and replace all instances of the logo with that.

GIMP is a good free image editing tool if you don't already have one (here's a link in case like me you don't fancy typing GIMP in to Google!)

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Or Office comes with Microsoft Office Picture Manager which is great to for bulk resizing and cropping etc.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Irfanview is a good little application I have used since my student days for image resizing. And it's free for Schools/Charities.
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Thank Post

Individual Reports crashing

This happened to us a while back. The only way I found to reduce the instances of crashing was to print the reports after school closed when there was minimal SIMS use. That led me to assume it was a database timeout that caused the crash. Didn't have to get to the bottom of it as the solution was a patch sent from Capita. Now it only crashes about 5% of the time.

Thank Post
    Read all above with interest.. I have the same at one of my schools, can't wait to get back in there this week to check out the format of the logo's etc as know they have added a new one recently, they had memory issue and al the main SIMS admin machines had an upgrade... It also opens up two word templates each time one is access via sims (in any any reports, not just individual but this is since rebuilt in CC4) Interesting and thanks all.

M

Thank Post
    I've read throught this thread with interest as I am having a very similar problem. So that I can catch up with you all, can anyone help me with this initial probem: I've found the report templates (ahead of verifying them), but when I try to open them in Word I am presented with the need to convert the file. None of the options I am given give me a readable template.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    I've read throught this thread with interest as I am having a very similar problem. So that I can catch up with you all, can anyone help me with this initial probem: I've found the report templates (ahead of verifying them), but when I try to open them in Word I am presented with the need to convert the file. None of the options I am given give me a readable template.
    Even if you select the XML option? That should work, if it doesn't then there is a problem with the template I suspect.

You could also try disabling the prompt, in Word 2010 go to "Word Options > Advanced", scroll down to the "General" section and uncheck "Confirm file format conversion on open"

Thank Post
    What's the specification on your sims server, cpus, memory, disk set up?

Thank Post
    SIMS is running on Server 2008 R2 Standard. Intel Xeon X5650@ 2.66 x2. 16GB RAM. 442GB Free on SCSI HD. The client PCs are varied, but all Are XP SP3 with 3GB RAM.
    Cant open any of the docs, .dots or XMLs. Even with the compatibility prompt switch off (it was already). In fact everything in that sub folder of doc storage folder is promting for conversion. Hmmmm...
    Last edited by JayCee; 8th March 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Thank Post
    This might not be relevant but have those that are having problems with AM7 and Profiles Reports read KB103768 on SupportNet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    In fact everything in that sub folder of doc storage folder is promting for conversion. Hmmmm...
    Are you trying to open the template directly from Windows Explorer? From SIMS DMS? That'll be your problem, everything in that folder is encrypted.

To open the templates and edit them, you have to go via SIMS, "Focus > Assessment > Individual Report". Find the template you want to edit there and it should open in to Word for you.

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

JayCee (8th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Aha! Thanks LosOjos. I'll check through the templates check pic sizes and report back. Incidentally, when SIMS crashes on this issue, it doesnt produce an error report - it just disappears. Some of those same users say this occurs even when SIMS is idle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12