+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Parents Evening in Technical; I currently use Parent Eve and think it is a good syste, however, I have now switched to Outllok web ...

Thank Post

Parents Evening

I currently use Parent Eve and think it is a good syste, however, I have now switched to Outllok web for email and this uses a secure port, not supported by Parent Eve as it is encrypted. Does anyone know about Nova P or something similar, seems daft that Capita do not have a module for this as the data is already in Sims.

Any ideas much appreciated as I am not keen on an online system and would rather stick with Parent Eve as I do think it is fantastic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    We don't use anything. What does Parent Eve do for you / what do you need from A N Other system?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a little confused. ParentEve is a piece of software, not a site, so has nothing to do with outlook or email.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Thank Post
    Email the appointments to parents thats why I need a solution to the secure or encrypted port. Parent Eve uses un encrypted port 25.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What you need is the address of the SMTP server that Exchange provides - ie. Outlook Web Access is a front end to Exchange, and exchange can (and is usually set up to) provide an SMTP server to users for this sort of thing.

Who provides your email?

Thank Post
    I have recently had to use Nova P for a parent evenings and I absolutely hate it.

I was going to look at parentEve over the easter holidays, if I don't like that i'll try and write my own i think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecalpemos2000 View Post
    ... Does anyone know about Nova P or something similar, seems daft that Capita do not have a module for this as the data is already in Sims.....
    They do - you have alluded to it. It is NovaP. That is one of the Nova suit of programs that I did not use in pre-SIMS time! So I cannot comment on it. There is some discussion on SupportNet though!

Quote Originally Posted by Brucy View Post
    I have recently had to use Nova P for a parent evenings and I absolutely hate it..
    Seems I posted too late!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th January 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Thank Post
    You should be able to email via port 25. Are you using live@edu or another service?

Thank Post
    yes live @ edu

Thank Post
    Well you can connect to that via an Outlook Desktop client, either as an exchange connection or via pop / smtp. Need to check the settings for port 25, but i'm pretty sure it's possible. If not there will be a workaround as ParentEve lets you export your data to csv. Shame to discontinue usage if it works so well at organising things for you.

Thank Post
    When using live @ edu / outlook live you can only connect to SMTP port 587 using TLS encryption. The parenteve software assumes you are using port 25 which cannot be changed. There would have to be a device in the middle to do the TLS part like a linux box. Configuring it as a mail server to receive plain SMTP mail and forward it to the outlook live server using TLS. This would be an extremely messy way round it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob998 View Post
    When using live @ edu / outlook live you can only connect to SMTP port 587 using TLS encryption. The parenteve software assumes you are using port 25 which cannot be changed. There would have to be a device in the middle to do the TLS part like a linux box. Configuring it as a mail server to receive plain SMTP mail and forward it to the outlook live server using TLS. This would be an extremely messy way round it.
    That's how we do our email serving here - we have our own SMTP server which anything internal can connect to, and then it relays it out to the LEA. It isn't a messy way at all, its an elegant way of doing it, as it means you have control over what is sending email from your institution and also allows you to change your upstream SMTP host without having to change the settings on, usually, a large amount of software.

Thank Post
    rob998 is right, no port 25 access on live@edu, i had a fiddle last night, however the workaround i was thinking of wasn't adding an intermediate smtp server, more a way to export the data from ParentEve to csv and somehow mailmerge the info out using word/outlook etc.

However, localzuk's method sounds like a good idea, if it's something you need often.

Thank Post
    we have our own SMTP server which anything internal can connect to
    I've added the SMTP component to the nearest IIS service several times for that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, can I make a suggestion to contact the guy who makes ParentEve? My experience with him was that he was very amenable to ideas for changes/additions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast