+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Serco Progresso in Technical; I (Guy Thomas) will hopefully be creating a Progresso interface to Moodle. I'm just in the process of contacting Serco ...

Thank Post
    I (Guy Thomas) will hopefully be creating a Progresso interface to Moodle.
    I'm just in the process of contacting Serco for some advice.

Thank Post
    Its not unfortunate that I'm no longer mainting the Facility to Moodle block for Moodle as I have passed it on to another very capable developer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by victory2009 View Post
    i do not like the idea its hosted in the cloud - concerns regarding data protection etc... also i asked what would happen if our net went down was told to get a backup link ... did anyone see if serco have been working on a mobile solution - would love something like sims have with the ipad syncing the data etc for pe dep
    I don't like the idea either - mosts schools access there internet via their RBC and you are not going to get 9.9999% uptime guaranteed with your LA or RBC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by donalouise View Post
    It's a replacement to Facility. As far as I know Facility will still be available for a while but will eventually be phased out to be replaced with Progresso.
    probably a good thing as there are some fundamental issues with the db - e.g related data stored in single fields in same table - probably an optimization based on the fact Facilty can run on an access db!

Thank Post
    You won't get 9.99% uptime with a locally hosted solution either. Take the time someone inadvertently turned off the aircon to the server room in my old school. All the cpu's fried and we were server-less for a week. How often is the internet down for a week? There are always going to be things like power outages, local flooding when pipes burst etc etc. Really, in this day and age, cloud should be the most reliable solution. The fact that it's not is more to do with the terribly poor quality service often provided by LA's to schools than anything else.
    As I've said before, would Amazon, Google, eBay etc be making a business out of it if the web was so unreliable? Like it or not, web hosting and software as a service is the way things are going so we might as well go with the flow; or arm ourselves with pitchforks and sticks like the Luddites and go and smash up the servers?

I do appreciate the concerns of people in school about internet reliability; but it's not the internet per se that is unreliable, it's the connection as provided by the LA that often lets them down.
    Last edited by EdWhittaker; 18th March 2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: additional comment

6. 2 Thanks to EdWhittaker:

scholarpack (18th March 2011), Tricky_Dicky (18th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Well said Ed

Thank Post
    I hope the decimal point is in the wrong place!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I hope the decimal point is in the wrong place!
    Ooops! well spotted, Phil. (Although thinking about some LAs I know ...)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulHarrington View Post
    I would love to hear from this community about how they ensure uninterrupted connection to the internet if their RBC or LA connection is inadequate.
    In our case, and I'm sure many others are the same, we cannot ensure uninterrupted connections to the Internet. If our CLEO link fails, for whatever reason, we have no backup.

We did have an ADSL line installed a few years back, but we were informed that this was a 'major security risk' to the LEA's network and if we didn't disconnect it, we would be disconnected from the CLEO network. Which is a perfectly valid point, and I have no problems with it.

Granted, 99% of the time our Internet works, but there is always the chance it won't...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdWhittaker View Post
    You won't get 9.99% uptime with a locally hosted solution either. Take the time someone inadvertently turned off the aircon to the server room in my old school. All the cpu's fried and we were server-less for a week.
    If all our servers fried, we would have no AD, no firewall - no one would be on the 'network' let alone have internet.
    Really, in this day and age, cloud should be the most reliable solution.
    I think that neglects a lot. Apart from the 'broadband' link being a single point of failure, the expertise with knowledge of how the school works especially for something as important as the MIS is hard to put a price on. When there are competing demands for support, you are able to easily prioritise those and keep the important balls in the air - providing you actually have the means to control your destiny. Do you think a cloud provider will be able to give your school the necessary priority when it's really important or will you be just another call in the queue?
    As I've said before, would Amazon, Google, eBay etc be making a business out of it if the web was so unreliable? Like it or not, web hosting and software as a service is the way things are going so we might as well go with the flow; or arm ourselves with pitchforks and sticks like the Luddites and go and smash up the servers?
    My concerns with hosted MIS solutions are access to and ownership of the data - it's too important and too valuable to be inaccessible or subject to the controlled access that hosted providers will out of necessity have to enforce. Google, eBay and Amazon sell cloud services, I'm not aware that they actually entrust their core business to other cloud providers.

Thank Post
    Well i for one an looking forward to progresso the only things that are holding this back for us currently is the integration with other services and i think it would be in Serco's best interest to assist its partners as much as possible as many schools will likely have invested in products which need to talk to the MIS, and a bit of ? remains as if schools will be able to bring over more than ther current dataset.
    The cloud hosting i look at as a possitive and providing the hosting costs themselves are reasonable will mean we wont have to spent money in the future on replacing hardware, its one less server to have to backup and above all it means the upgrades are handled directly by serco freeing up some time for us.
    If you have a decent broadband connection with a good service level agreement then i dont think you have an issue with availablity.
    The questions about liability if data is lost, levels of support do need some answers?

Thank Post
    Don't know if anyone has seen the screenshots on here;

Progresso- Hellfyre Design

I guess they're not quite the final thing but they are the first ones I have seen despite pestering many a people...

(I do hope they went with this concept and not something like ePortal!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy02 View Post
    Don't know if anyone has seen the screenshots on here;

Progresso- Hellfyre Design

I guess they're not quite the final thing but they are the first ones I have seen despite pestering many a people...

(I do hope they went with this concept and not something like ePortal!)
    From what I have seen at Progresso Events (of which there are some starting again at present combined with updates on the 11. range and the future for Facility / User Groups around the UK) they look like what I have seen but not quite the same colours and a bit more tweak-age but similar to those images on that site.

Thank Post
    Anyone know when Progresso will be available to schools in Ireland?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Anyone know when Progresso will be available to schools in Ireland?
    I know that Facility is different in Ireland so I suspect it will come afterwards, perhaps @michael2k6 can cast some light on it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast