+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Census - Is it a NM responsibility? in Technical; that's kind of where my mind is going to. I've assumed it's because our only remaining administrator isn't on a ...

Thank Post
    that's kind of where my mind is going to. I've assumed it's because our only remaining administrator isn't on a high scale, and may struggle with the 'technical' side of doing it.
    I haven't done one before, so not quite sure what i've been let in for. I've just run a dummy to get the error's; things like student's primary language, travel means etc.
    Might end up having to fight my corner on this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    I think you will... helping a member of staff comprehend the technical side of the job is one thing. Doing the stats is another.

Thank Post
    At my school, it's the bursar who does the cenus, but the technical side of that (machines for pupils, machines for staff, etc) she asks me to do as I have all those figures, but I simply e-mail her the figures she needs and she does the rest.

You can't be expected to know the various pupil details and all that, that is something the the SLT or 'office' admin staff would know.

Thank Post
    You also might like to point out to the leadership team that the pupil census is done three times a year and the workforce census once per year so it is not a mere trifle in time and effort. Oh and if the LT are happy that the NM sees all their salaries, when completing the workforce census......., this concentrates their minds to the fact that the Business Manager or Bursar might be a far more natural choice for these tasks!! The NM can always offer help to the Bursar. I used to be the NM who pressed all the buttons for the census but would badger SENCO and other "data inputters" before the event to keep the data up to date in a secondary school. In my experience of multiple schhols now, there are a lot of very good admin people in Schools who look after the census, who may turn to NM if they need (rare) help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At my old spot it was the Network Manager who did it, here it's the SIMS Manager although ours has been off sick since September.

The Autumn Census I helped the SIMS Admin do it with regards to running through the guide and resolving the errors, the Workforce Census the SIMS Admin and Bursar did and this next Census the SIMS Admin is going to do it and I'll help out if needed.

This did mean however in the Autumn Census (and made quite clear to people) that any other jobs were put on hold unless it was essential from my point of view and people just had to like it or lump it but also that we are now at the stage where the SIMS Admin is going to do it from now on. If they insist that you do it then I would make it clear the points raised in this thread and that you'd work along side someone so that in the future they would be in a position to do it, but also that you aren't in the position to correct the issues that arrise due to errors in the data and play the game of printing the error list off and passing it on to someone else to resolve.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh the census. I have had run-ins with this as the school SIMS tech support. It's FUN!

(In the sarcastic sense).

SWC was carried out by the Bursar with assistance from the Admin Officer for Personnel. This is turn required digging around inside paper archives looking for Teacher Numbers and prising details of staff from the former School Secretary who handled their input into SIMS. That was a good day, we cleaned up a lot of errors within Personnel along with the duplicate staff, missing details, etc. Took a while but had help from the LA and their guides. Felt like programming when you compile code, thats wrong, fix, no thats wrong too, now thats wrong, where the hell is that error? Back again and again...

Then we have the pupil census. I daren't touch this, our admin employee handles it OK and tends to go directly to the LA if anything happens. It still sucks up a lot of her time though.

Lastly, when I talk to the guys at the LA, they mention it eats up plenty of time too.

Also beware of the upcoming changes to funding for this coming census period. Free School Meals will be used to determine a scheme called Pupil Premium and those details MUST be correct or the school will lose a lot of potential money. More kids on FSM the better as many families are too embarrassed to admit they need FSM and thus don't get recorded.

It'd make sense for someone of a technical capacity to support the Census and it's worth reading up on as it involves CTF files, exports, secure transfer of said files and other stuff. But if you do get lumbered with the whole lot, seek some training.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    @heggy:

Our head of admin returns the census and runs other reports. Our DHT is the data manager who also does the timetable and stats.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    At my school, it's the bursar who does the cenus, but the technical side of that (machines for pupils, machines for staff, etc) she asks me to do as I have all those figures, but I simply e-mail her the figures she needs and she does the rest.

You can't be expected to know the various pupil details and all that, that is something the the SLT or 'office' admin staff would know.
    You will be pleased to know that the numbers of Computers & Interactive Whiteboards is not present on this year's Census. Therefore no technical help is required at all!

9. Thanks to Sivadam from:

soveryapt (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    You will be pleased to know that the numbers of Computers & Interactive Whiteboards is not present on this year's Census. Therefore no technical help is required at all!
    And that's why I like Friday's .. they always come with good news! lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heggy View Post

Our Data Manager has just left, she isn't being replaced. Her responsibilities have been divided up amongst the rest of the admin team.

I've ended up with a few tasks, which i'm not over-the-moon about, but can understand (Creating reports, assessment, user mgmt rights, troubleshooting). One i'm pretty annoyed with: the Census. I can't understand why it's not our Bursar, with support of Admin dept.
    just stepping away from the Admin vs Techie side of this, how do grades compare? Are you being given the work of a higher grade, same grade, or lower grade job?

Thank Post
    I do all our Census and Workforce Census returns as IT manager. To be honest I really don't mind it -it hardly takes any time and as long as your SIMS is well kept (our office manager does an excellent job of that) it's usually fairly quick and easy.

Thank Post
    The best the NM could do is to run the report and send it off. They couldn't be responsible for the accuracy of the data.

If there's no Data Manager, then who is responsible for entering the data and ensuring accuracy? That person should be doing the census, with the NM's support of course.

Thank Post
    Here, both census returns are part of my role. I can't imagine how it can be done by anyone other than the person with overall responsibility for the integrity of the data. I am the Office Manager, we are a Primary of 320 children and don't have a Network Manager or tech support person anyway (other than me - which is a scary thought) and the Bursar only works with FMS.

So long as you have a good understanding of SIMS, your data, and the census process it should be a doddle! *laughs hysterically*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeHubb View Post
    ..... we are a Primary of 320 children and don't have a Network Manager or tech support person anyway (other than me - which is a scary thought) and....
    It certainly is a scary thought Gill!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    excuse my ignorance, but what is a cencus in regards to a school?

is it a SIMS only thing?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast