+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Timetabler in Technical; Does anyone have much experience with this software? http://www.timetabler.com/ There has been mention of it here once in the past ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Timetabler

Does anyone have much experience with this software?

http://www.timetabler.com/

There has been mention of it here once in the past. Timetabler is a supplemetary program to Nova that automates some timetabling tasks.

It seems there's a lot of work to do initially in manually adding all data into it, with no import function. Export to SIMS .net is there, which is great - just not looking forward to all that manual entry.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thank Post

Re: Timetabler

Mark I assume that you have tried and dismissed NOVA-T6? Keith Johnson has an excellent reputation - he did write the book after all! However if you haven't tried T6 yet I think you are missing a hugely successful programme that tightly integrates with SIMS. Don't forget that if you are using LM the timetable link is absolutely critical.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

T6 is due for release to us soon Phil. Does that do the same job then?

What do you mean about the timetable link with LM (as we do use it)?

Thanks!

Thank Post

We have used timetabler here in the past but when the person responsible for the timetable left the school we move to Nova-T when someone else took over the responsibility.

The Deputy headteacher in charge much prefers Nova-T to timetabler but that just may be his preferance.

Thank Post

T6 has autoschedule facilities that really speed up the creation of the timetable. I'm told that can be up to a month of someone's time.

LM relies on the timetable data to drive which classes are presented - for example if you make a timetable change it needs to be applied from a certain date. Being able to load the timetable from .net modify it and put it back to apply from a certain date is vital. I'm not saying that other packages can't do this, just that it is vital to make sure that the one you choose can do this.

Thank Post

We've just bought in timetabler but haven't had feedback from the people "doing" the timetables. we'll see.... previously had Nova-T - but I guess they looked elsewhere. I think they might have chosen Timetabler because it is compatible with our MIS - WCBS PASS

cheers
    baronne

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

We currently use NOVA-T but it is a very old version and we were told that we couldn't get a standalone version anymore as it was integrated into Sims so we've been looking at timetabler.

We use Phoenix Gold as our MIS does anyone know if NOVA-T6 would work with that?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our last person to do timetabling bought Timetabler, and it has passed on to the new person. We do have Nova-T4 and are told we will soon have Nova-T6.

What I was wanting to know is:- is all the manual data entry at the start of every session really how this program is set up? - seems tortuous.

And as we're getting Nova-T6 anyway - does that do exactly the same and if so, could we lose Timetabler?

We still do use Nova-T4 alongside Timetabler - Timetabler is used to create the timetable at the beginning of every academic year (ours is not far off as we run May - May) and Nova-T4 is used for arranging cover.

Thank Post

Hi everyone. This is my first posting on the site!

I was wondering if anyone has any more info on the timetabler program? What are the costs like what's the support like at busy periods?
    (start / end of academic year) is it as good as T6?

We used to use T4 and were forced down the full sims route so that we could upgrade to T6 but sims is a bit overkill for us as we have an in house MIS with our own programmer. We've had real problems with SIMS this week and the support desk still haven't looked into our queries depite numerous calls. In fact I've been waiting 7 days so far!

I'd really love to switch back to a stand alone package which we could link to our own MIS.

Also anyone know of any other popular solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Costs seem pretty cheap - they're on the website there somewhere. Our guy went on training too.

Dunno about support. They seem pretty responsive whenever we've had issues. I'm not sure why but we seem to use NovaT4 and are moving to T6 as well??

Thank Post

We switched from SIMS about a year ago and have found that the Serco Facility scheduler program has more power and flexibility than Nova T/Curriculum Planning module.

I do not think that the scheduler program allows exports to other MIS though.

Thank Post

Thanks for the info,

Also does anyone know if Timetabler has similar facilities with regard to the autoschedule in T6?

I think I will try to get a download of Timetabler and try it out.

Thank Post
    Yes, TimeTabler will auto-schedule for you ...either semi-automatically or fully-automatically ...as shown in the free Tutorial version.

It will also export the completed timetable directly to SIMS .net ...using exactly the same import 'wizard' that T6 uses.

There are comments by Users at:
    Users' Comments and Testimonials about TimeTabler

It liinks into many MIS admin systems, see the list at:
    TimeTabler links to MIS admin systems

There is another (much longer) thread on EduGeek,
    with a lot more discussion comparing Nova T6 with TimeTabler,
    at:
    Nova T6 or Keith Johnson's Timetabler???

Thank Post
    You are doing very well at finding and re-opening these old threads, Keith!

I will resist the temptation to make further comments this time!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 4th November 2009 at 02:35 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information