+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Document Server in Technical; I am trying to find a way to upload from assessment manager(through individual report) to the document server but for ...

Thank Post

Document Server

I am trying to find a way to upload from assessment manager(through individual report) to the document server but for the document to be stored as a word .doc file and NOT as an XML file. The XML needs to be downloaded and changed where as a .DOC file can be opened directly from the document server through the linked documents .

Does anyone have any ideas? please

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Odd, afraid I haven't got an answer but I can confirm XML files are opening straight away in Word here when opening them in Linked Documents.

Thank Post
    They are still stored as .xml tho'! Look at the extension before you actually open it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecalpemos2000 View Post
    I am trying to find a way to upload from assessment manager(through individual report) to the document server but for the document to be stored as a word .doc file and NOT as an XML file. The XML needs to be downloaded and changed where as a .DOC file can be opened directly from the document server through the linked documents ....
    Please explain what you mean by ' needs to be downloaded and changed ' .
    As CAM said it should just open through linked documents. There is no way to change the way the automatic upload works.
    Perhaps you have an issue with file associations or are using an older version of Office.

Thank Post
    A report is ran and an xml file is generated with the pupils full/half term report. This then attaches it to a pupil.

You pick a student, click on linked documents double click on the full report the attachment is for example Year 11 Full report 2011 (PS).xml. You get 2 options 'View' and 'Open'. View is clickable but Open is greyed out. If you click view it does open in Word but only as read only. So is any changes are made it has to be saved and uploaded again. If the Open button was functional it could open and save directly without having to re-upload.

Can you confirm that you can use the open button on xml files?

Rob

Thank Post
    I don't believe that is part of the functionality. If you upload your own xml manually, i guess it should let you edit it as it does for other document types. Have to test it.

The type / classification of the file when uploaded via AM7 is different to any you can upload yourself, i guess the idea is that it is read only. If you want to edit it, then the original source of the data i.e. the marksheet contents (results) need to be updated. Otherwise the report wouldn't reflect data entered, so i guess it's a security thing.

Even when editing your own documents, the process is a little odd, there is a thread or two on SupportNet, it gets cached locally, and still needs to be 'uploaded' again, or weird errors occur when trying to read the same document again.

Thank Post
    Just to confirm, i can attach my own .xml file and then open it for editing. After which i am asked if i wish to save and then re-upload the modified document. This then gets recorded in the document history. This was uploaded as file type General. The file type of AM7 document is only available for an internal upload and must by default be read only for the reasons stated above.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When you create an Individual Report, you create a template for every student in the year. When you preview or upload a report, SIMS will collect the results from a Marksheet and replace the Result tags on the template with data. When you upload again, any changes would be wiped out if you were to find a way to edit and save the document.

If you need to make an alteration for the entire year, edit the Individual Report template and re-upload. If you want to make an alteration for a single student, clone the template and make your changes then upload for that student only.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread