+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, HOW-TO: Bulk Update Result Set in Individual Reports (AM7) in Technical; I've just this second figured out how to do this and it has saved me an unbelievable amount of time, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts

HOW-TO: Bulk Update Result Set in Individual Reports (AM7)

I've just this second figured out how to do this and it has saved me an unbelievable amount of time, so I thought I'd share my (annoyingly simple, when I consider how many hours I've put in to doing this manually!) method.

With your template open, you need to enter VB Design Mode in Word. I'm using 2007, and it's on the developer tab, under controls. In older versions of Word, if my memory serves me, you have to open up the Macro toolbox (it'll be in the View > Toolbar menu I think).

What should now happen is that where previously you had descriptions of all of the aspects and result sets used, you will now see a lot more detail, including a section in each detailing the result set and it's SIMS ID.

For example, I have a result set called "2010/11 Sweep 1" with an ID of "8". In Word Design Mode, this shows as (no quotes) "|^2010/11 Sweep 1^|^8^|"

It's now just a simple case of performing a find & replace to update the result set! You can find the result set's ID (you want the external ID) by opening it up in assessment manager, it'll be in the detail panel.

NOTE 1: One thing to note is that as "^" is a special character in Word find & replace, you'll have to type it twice to escape it i.e. "^2010/11 Sweep 1^|^8^" becomes "^^2010/11 Sweep 1^^|^^8^^".

NOTE 2: You may also want to update the first part of the string, the description. It won't affect the output, but it'll help you later on to identify which result sets you are using.

NOTE 3: ALWAYS back up your templates before you mess with them like this!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 11th January 2011 at 03:27 PM.

2. Thanks to LosOjos from:

ICTLady (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Thought i'd double post here as well as SupportNet as it would be really good if they implement the change request, though it's so old now, it's probably been forgotten about.

Hey Josh, this has been around for a bit, it's been on my mind for a while to add a wiki on EduGeek, but never had the time.
    It might also be a good idea to make some formal notes and upload to file sharing but again time is the key.

Check these threads though, as there is a Change Request in the second so we don't have to jump through these loops.

Topic 29538 - http://support.capitaes.co.uk/newfor...91%E6%9B%D7%E7

Topic 21299 - http://support.capitaes.co.uk/newfor...D0%94%B3%8C%9C

Or just go straight for the Change Request #0901-467260

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Cheers Vik, I've voted on the CR.

I wonder who strongly disagreed with that CR? I've seen a couple like that where somebody has strongly disagreed where I can see absolutely no good reason for it - does Supportnet have a troll?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Cheers Vik, I've voted on the CR.

I wonder who strongly disagreed with that CR? I've seen a couple like that where somebody has strongly disagreed where I can see absolutely no good reason for it - does Supportnet have a troll?
    I could hazard a guess... There are the odd trolls there, and also here.

It could just be that the mistyped reason, was why it was given a negative, or it's just someone that thinks you shouldn't need that tool, if your system was set up perfectly.

Anyway, this needed a since you posted just before BETT

Thank Post
    I am trying this using Word 2013 and it is not working, anyone else had problems recently?

Thank Post
    How does it differ?
    It could just be the usual issue of reports not workign, even though you've followed the process accurately. Tried, double saving, or verify save, or add a tag the normal way for testing after ?

Thank Post
    Bound to happen, just went back to check and noticed a typo !!! - it works just as well as it ever did - wonder what became of the change request?
    Also have found that using the developer>Design view makes no difference but do need the Show/Hide selected.
    Vik, thanks for the ultra fast reply!
    Last edited by number34; 19th December 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Most likely, it got cleared out when they had a spring clean a few months back.
    They'll next get a wipe out, when they migrate it all to the fancy pants CRM, next spring (funnily enough!).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread