+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Alternative to SIMS? in Technical; FWIG, SIMS seems to dominate the market with no competition at all or am I missing something? Can you recommend ...

Thank Post

Alternative to SIMS?

FWIG, SIMS seems to dominate the market with no competition at all or am I missing something? Can you recommend an alternative to SIMS that can grow with an organization?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts

Depends on your schools set up / details. Tell us more about your school/location etc. Don't forget to pop your head in the International forum too

Being international helps in that you aren't confined to UK legislation which forces sims to require certain fixed updates at inconvenient times.

Isams purports to work well for independent schools.

This forum's sponsor has a free to schools offering (Scholarpack) but maybe it's only free for the UK - that's probably best placed to develop with you as it's a relatively new offering.

Other things to consider are serco, bromcom, phoenix (?). if you search this forum you'll find some others mentioned as this discussion comes up from time to time.

It's also worth considering international offerings from the states, but i'd stick to dedicated mis products , often referred to as SIS, because it seems most solutions out there from gradebooks to registration software are expanding to store more and more date and become more MIS like.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 9th January 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: correction

Thank Post
    The next biggest player after SIMS is Serco's CMIS / Facility ePortal. After that come RM Integris and Pearson e1, but, tbh, I wouldn't bother with either of those two. We have to work with all 4 of these with our product; e1 was a nightmare (fortunately all of our schools that were using it have dumped it in the last year or so, so we don't work with it all now). 99% of our customer schools use either SIMS or CMIS.

I would certainly check out ScholarPack, though. Don't know much about it so can't comment, but I fully support moves both to OS and new kids on the block.
    Last edited by EdWhittaker; 10th January 2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added afterthought

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdWhittaker View Post
    The next biggest player after SIMS is Serco's CMIS / Facility ePortal. After that come RM Integris and Pearson e1, but, tbh, I wouldn't bother with either of those two.
    That's just for secondary schools. For primary level I believe Integris G2 and Pearson e1 have a much larger market share than CMIS/Facility. There's quite a few authority wide rollouts.

In 2005 the DCSF (as then was) published which systems were used to submit PLASC returns in 2003-2005. You can still get the results from http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/ims/misss/, but I haven't seen an updated one since.

Thank Post
    Reading between the lines I guess yours is a UK-system international school - if so try SchoolBase - works well and like ISAMS is targeted at the independent market. Incidentally it does the census pretty easily, both for govt and for the ISC.

Thank Post
    As you are based in the Philippines, RM have an Asia-Pacific region web site, with Management Systems for Independent, Private and International schools
    From the site, it appears they can offer Integris G2 or RM Maze/eMaze

We use the Integris G2 system in our LEA for both Primary and Secondary, and have no problems with it at all
    It is a full web based system and can be hosted by RM, so you don't have to have the extra cost of servers based in the school - All the hardware and software is fully managed by RM, and it was considerable cheaper than either Capita or Serco
    Last edited by ntm1275; 11th January 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Thank Post
    One of our new Staff here came from a indy school using ISAMS and he said it was great. I can not attest to the accuacy of this statement though.

Thank Post
    We use iSAMS (which is great!) - if you want any further information, I would be happy to oblige.

Thank Post
    WCBS is used in quite a few independent schools - Home, Information Management for Schools from WCBS - the fees, billing and accounts bits (PASS module) are said to be especially good..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread