+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMs Reason 0 error message in Technical; we are having issues with SIMs. All users on the curriculum network are getting the Reason 0 error when they ...
    Thank Post

SIMs Reason 0 error message

we are having issues with SIMs. All users on the curriculum network are getting the Reason 0 error when they try to log into SIMs during lesson times. all of the users on the admin network (this is where SIMs is installed) are unafected. we have tried re-installing SIMs, installing it on a new machine, checking permissions and connect.ini and also that staff are using the correct login details.

this problem isn't isolated to one area of the network, it is on random machines around the school (even my machine).

i have been on capita's site and found a knowledge base but we have checked out a few of them and this doesn't seem to have worked.
    Link - http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...from=HotTopics

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Reason 0.... always a fun one.

Have you tried IP address in the Connect.ini instead of server name?

Reason 0 is usually a connection to SQL problem

Thank Post
    just a thought does the connect ini contain the fqdn of admin server or just shortname? and you can have multiple connect ini files one on sims folder usually redirects to say s: or f: but as s\f is usually admin server it is almost always in my experience the short name

Thank Post
    creese - we haven't tried that but will do.

sted - it has the fqdn as it goes from the curriculum to the admin. we have checked the connect.ini file and all in there is as it should be.

Thank Post
    Good old Reason 0... basically something went wrong and we can't be bothered telling you what

Usuaully a delete and re-install fixes it but I did have a problem a while back where all users would get it and I had to do something like re-index the database.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Sims reason 0 is anything as mentioned above but i would check when its happening that the machines can resolve the FQDN of the Server.

Also does the curriculum domain dns forward to the admin? Could be that it cannot be forwarded correctly or possibly there are two forwarding DNS Ip addresses and one is duff?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Hmm reason 0, well so long as you don't say you 'hate' sims because of this error, i'm sure things will stay calm

I got this error sporadically over the last 3 months, mostly since the migration to windows 7. usually a reboot fixes this, so it does look networky. Sometimes a user wont be able to log in even after a reboot, but then the next day all is fine. Really strange.

We do currently have an odd profiles problem, so troubleshooting has been difficult. However, at one point i did suspect it was to do with fast user switching on the client, because that has caused lots of problems for us with for other software too.

You said it's random, but also for every user, so does that mean not a single curriculum side client can get access, ever?

Have you tried all fixes from the KB article, it's worth trying all.

Is it possible to take a curriculum client that is failing and then move it to the admin network and see if it can access? Would be good to prove a point and rule out any config issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Have to looked at KB72254 on SupportNet?
    That's the one the OP says they are using in the first post.

Thank Post
    So can you ping the SQL Server from the affected workstations? What SQL port are you using? 1433 is standard - can you telnet to the SQL server using port 1433?

You can set the cliconfg to point at the SQL server - and set the port number - this may help?

Thank Post
    Did you find a solution to this? Havind exactly the same issue

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Did you find a solution to this? Havind exactly the same issue
    What's your setup and what have you tried? the SupportNet post is pretty comprehensive.
    Do you have a split admin / curriculum network? What did you change recently? Moving to a new server, especially win2k8 could point to a firewall / network access issue. Can you login on the server itself?

Thank Post
    We have an admin windows network running on 2003 and a curriculum network (cc4 also on 2003). Our admin server is mostly managed by the council and have been assured they have been through all the options in the above article.

Our support technician came in and ran an update on the admin servers network card which went wrong and disconnected it from the network as the driver didn't match the HP network configuration utility. During this we transfered DHCP over to our curriculum server so we had one network running. We then fixed the admin server by roling back the driver and downloading an older version of the HP utility and transfered DHCP back. We have now the admin network running perfectly but this error reason 0 coming up on the majority of our curriculum machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    When we had this we found it was the firtewall... try turning the firewall off on the server, if its already off then thats a different problem than we had....

Thank Post
    If you messed with DHCP that could be an issue depending on the lease length, though by now it should have resolved itself. Worth forcing a new ip on those curriculum machines though, and making sure IP, DNS, and other info is updated and accurate.

Thank Post
    I am finding that if you disable then enable the nic it seems to fix this issue for the short term.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast