+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, lesson monitor / college day! in Technical; We've just upgraded to lesson monitor, we have a 5 period college day with a single tutorial period. p1 (am ...

Thank Post

lesson monitor / college day!

We've just upgraded to lesson monitor, we have a 5 period college day with a single tutorial period.

p1 (am mark)
    p2
    break
    p3
    tutorial
    P4 (pm mark)
    P5

In lesson monitor setup, it won't allow us to continue without placing A / P in the relevant periods for each day, but when I put A in P1 and P in P4 it places an additional registration period at the beginning of the day - we register during p1 as an academic class.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for this setup?

Thanks,

Andy

Thank Post
    Oh god, a bugbear of ours here! I am NO expert at this (going on a timetable course in Jan/Feb), but I believe it's a timetable issue. Are any reg periods defined in NCC in Nova T6? There may lie your problem..

Tried resending/reapplying your timetable and timetable cycle to SQL and then reapplying the timetable?

If not the above, might be worth a call to your support team

Thank Post
    Check out KB102162 on SupportNet for a full explanation. NT6 and the Lesson Monitor Setup up must match exactly!
    You will see a separate Reg Group if you access Edit Marks but it should not show on Teacher Timelines.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't know for certain because all my guides are locked away at work, but I think you put in the AM and PM and then you want to set the Write Marks to copy the lesson mark across to the Session for both the AM and PM slot.

I know when we first set it up though there was a lot of faffing with the timetable to make sure it would all fit (but we do have a dedicated AM and PM registration slot).

Thank Post
    the additional registration periods (am & pm) show on teacher time lines (before period one and before period four)!

Thank Post
    I think this is to do with the NCC part of Nova T6 - have you resent the t/t and the cycle to SQL?
    Mike is spot on with this KB article, that is what we used to fix it, I have copied and pasted it below ...

KB102162 - Advice on Timetable Cycle and "Timetable is not set for the selected date" error - Lesson Monitor and Nova-T4/T6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Created 06/09/2010
    Last Updated 15/09/2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Affected Products Lesson Monitor 7
    NOVA-T6

Notes Timetable cycle not matching between Nova-T and SIMS .net
    Nova-T4
    Nova-T6
    SIMS .net
    Lesson Monitor
    Advice on Timetable Cycle

Cycle size does not match

Reg Periods
    Timetable not set for selected period

Session Periods showing incorrect (i.e. 9 Periods showing instead of 6)

Advice Timetable cycle in Nova-T6, SIMS .net Lesson Register and Lesson monitor

This solution is relevant to schools which -
    Are using Nova-T6 for creating and maintaining the timetable and are sending the timetable data to Sims .net.
    Are beginning the new academic year
    Have changed/amended the timetable cycle in Nova-T6
    Are using Lesson Monitor, Lesson Register and/or Attendance 7

The timetable cycle, that is the number of periods per day and the number of days (e.g. one week or two week timetable) must be the same in Nova-T6, SIMS .net and Nova-T4. If it is not, then error messages will occur when transfers are being made between Nova and SIMS .net. The chief area where problems can occur is with Reg. periods, and periods that are marked as Non-teaching.

Registration, or reg periods can be represented in two ways within Nova-T6.

Method 1.

They can be marked as non teaching periods on the Cycle screen, with Non class codes (NCCs) used to show the different reg groups assigned to Reg Tutors.

or

Method 2.

The periods that are going to be used for registration can be scheduled in the same way as academic classes.

If the Reg. periods are marked as Non-Teaching, then in SIMS .net they will not appear on student timetables. They only appear in Cover 7, and on teacher timetables when All Periods display mode is selected. They do not appear in Lesson Monitor or Attendance. When a Reg. period is included in the Timetable cycle in Nova-T4 and/or T6 but is not marked as non-teaching it will show in SIMS .net on timetables and in Lesson Monitor and Attendance.

If a school has scheduled a Reg. period on the timetable (in the same way as an academic class) then this would most likely be where students go to a tutor group for some type of registration and to meet with their form tutor. The AM and PM registration in Lesson Monitor would allow registration to be recorded in these lessons; another period does not need to be added into Lesson Monitor.

If there are too many periods showing in Lesson monitor or when transferring Curriculum and Timetable to/from SQL there is a message about timetable cycles not matching then a new timetable cycle should be sent from T6 to SIMS .net (SQL)

Changing the Cycle and sending it from Nova-T6 to Sims .net (SQL)

Make a back up of SIMS .net
    Make a back up of Nova-T6
    On the cycle screen add the Reg periods if necessary; make them Non-teaching (If using the most common method i.e. Method 1 above). Check that the number and sequence of periods showing is what is required.
    Data | Send New timetable cycle to SQL. This will require times for each lesson to be entered. The start date could be back dated to the start of the academic year but should not be if there are Lesson marks or data in Cover 7 as this will be lost. In this case the following day's date should be used.
    Data | Send curriculum and timetable to SQL with the same start date.

Apply Timetable to Academic Year. SIMS .net Tools | Academic Structure | Apply Timetable.

Lesson Monitor SetupSelect Tools | Setups | Lesson Monitor Options | Lesson MonitorSetup to display the Lesson Monitor Setup page. In the Registration and Periods Pattern panel, select the required timetable model from the Timetable Model drop-down list. If there is only one that is fine. The current and any future timetable models that have been applied to SIMS .net are available for selection. The selected timetable model (either one week or two weeks) is displayed in thegrid. Highlight the cells that belong to the AM sessions, then click the AM button.A block of cells can be selected by clicking in the top left cell, then while holding down the Shift key clicking in the bottom right cell. The selected AM cells are coloured pink. Highlight the cells that belong to the PM session, then click the PM button. The selected PM cells are coloured yellow. To indicate the period when registration takes place each day, enter A (AMregistration) and P (PM registration) in the appropriate cells. If registration takes place before a period, enter A or P in that period. If PM registration takes place after the last period, enter N in the last period.Click the Save button. The registration and period pattern is saved for the date range of the selected timetable model. If Nova-T4 is being used for the Reports menu-
    Make back up of Nova-T4
    In Nova-T4 Plan | days and periods . Make sure cycle shows the correct number of periods in the right order. Reg. periods would normally be marked as excluded and non-teaching. (Highlight period and use the tick boxes at top of screen)
    Load Curriculum and Timetable from SQL for the correct date. The data should load without giving an error message about the cycle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_whitlock View Post
    the additional registration periods (am & pm) show on teacher time lines (before period one and before period four)!
    If you really are taking the Session Register during Teaching Lessons 1&4 then you should not have set up any additional Reg Periods in NT6.

By the way guys - thanks for the Red Square - that sure looks better than the green one - and just in time for Christmas too!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 23rd December 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Thank Post
    in the lesson monitor setup it forces you to define AM & PM registration periods....these marks are taken from within teaching lessons and no AM / PM registrations actually exist - when AM and PM are defined as P1 and P4 in lesson monitor setup - additional AM / PM registration sessions are placed in the teacher time lines!?

Thank Post
    I can check this out again for you Andy, but not until January 5th I am afraid.
    I didn't think they did show on the timetline but maybe they do appear from 'Take Register' or 'Edit Marks'.

In the meantime check out thread 'Time line errors in Lesson Monitor (27917)' on SupportNet. The last post appears to describe the same situation that you describe and is one that I never responded back to. Maybe the Session Reg should now show! The Thread does show you our Lesson Monitor set up which works as it should do!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 28th December 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Thank Post
    the "copy lesson marks to session" for AM & PM option resolved these "none existent" registration periods from appearing on teacher time lines!

Thank Post
    the "copy lesson marks to session" for AM & PM option resolved these "none existent" registration periods from appearing on teacher time lines!
    Glad you got it sorted Andy. I hope my screenshot helped!

Maybe you should refer to SupportNet as well as here for finding solutions to SIMS issues. This was rather a simple one and Cache did actually give you the solution earlier - as well as rh91uk pasting the whole of the KB that I referred to early in the thread re. the NT6 set up.

I must admit that you did start to make me doubt myself ..... but only for a very brief moment - I should have known better!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 29th December 2010 at 02:32 PM.

12. Thanks to Sivadam from:

rh91uk (29th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for pointing that out Sivadam, unsure why SIMs found the liberty to assume registration times for AM & PM registration - doesn't seem a very clear set up routine (that and without any formal SIMs training it was a struggle)! Anyway resolved now and thank you for your festive support, must try and get on some formal SIMs training sessions to improve my knowledge!

14. Thanks to andy_whitlock from:

Sivadam (29th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Glad you got it sorted andy, and I agree with sivadams suggestion about referring to Supportnet aswell as here! Both sites have helped me out loads ion building up my knowledge.

16. Thanks to rh91uk from:

Sivadam (29th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for pointing that out Sivadam, unsure why SIMs found the liberty to assume registration times for AM & PM registration - doesn't seem a very clear set up routine (that and without any formal SIMs training it was a struggle)! Anyway resolved now and thank you for your festive support, must try and get on some formal SIMs training sessions to improve my knowledge!
    Because Attendance recording for Sessions is Statutory then the system simply has to include the AM and PM Register - unless you tell it otherwise because the Session Marks are being taken from a lesson - which is exactly what that part of the Lesson Monitor Setup is for! Some schools do have the AM and/or PM Session Reg in addition to the lesson registrations and this is the default mode.

SIMS training is an absolute must for those that have not used some or all of the software before. You would also be wise to try and find your nearest SIMS Partnership School so that you can visit them for advice on the various setups and procedures. There are always approx. 50 of these schools around the country and there are now also SIMS Partnerships Acadamies, though I am unsure of the actual numbers of these.

18. Thanks to Sivadam from:

andy_whitlock (1st January 2011)

Thank Post
    very interesting to know that about the SIMS partnership schools! I'll have a savage around and see if I can find our nearest! Thank you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread