+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, User Management Solution - SIF Agent in Technical; Hi, My requirement is as follows: If a user is deleted from the MIS system (SIMS, SERCO) then the user ...

Thank Post

User Management Solution - SIF Agent

Hi,

My requirement is as follows:

If a user is deleted from the MIS system (SIMS, SERCO) then the user should also be deleted from Active Directory, files should be archived etc.

Is there any SIF Agent out there that can do this? I have looked at a few and found the following:

1. SIFWorks Directory Manager - Edustructures
    2. The Active Directory Agent - ZIAD

Are these solutions suitable for the requirement and if not then which solution will be suitable?

Thanks

Thank Post
    SIF is just a connector, SalamanderSoft do what your after, SalamanderSoft Limited - Salamander Active Directory, Richards on here as well if you have any questions.

Thank Post
    @matt40k SIF is more than just a connector, if you are at BETT I would go to the SIF Assocation stand in the innovation avenue to get some more information.

@akhter I believe both SIFWorks and ZIAD will add and delete users from active directory. From what I have read about SIFWorks you can add custom vb scripts on to SIF action like delete which would be able handle archiving of files.

Thank Post
    I thought SIF was just a protocol like HTTPS, it just sends data in a certain format in a certain way. You have have feed the information in and out.

Thank Post
    Worth giving these guys a ring

::: www.systemhost.co.uk :::

They have writtten an application that does just that as part of our VLE. Very helpful company indeed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,159 Posts
    If the MIS is SIMS, then the Active Directory Provisioning tool should do what you require. Especially if SLG will be used. Not sure about Serco.

We're just about to go with SalamanderSoft though as it can do lots more for us.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SIF is the protocol, SIF Agent is the tool which transfers data from the source to a central server to manage the interchange (ZIS) which will then pass it to the recipient data source where it may do certain things, such as delete AD accounts, etc.

A vast over-simplification and the SIF Association stand is *the* place to go to ask more questions.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your replies. How much does Salamander Active Directory cost and whats the process of obtaining a copy?

Thank Post
    Heres how I do it...

Write a user report in SIMS with an export to XML. Drop it onto a server. Parse the XML file with a program of your favourite language, also link to your AD, compare the two then take an approriate action. I email myself any difference between AD and SIMS so I can make a choice if I want to delete or not. Schedule daily.

I can post scripts etc if you want.

Personally I find that most of the time the people in charge of SIMS/CMIS never get starters/leavers staff/students up to date quick enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    SIF is just a connector, SalamanderSoft do what your after, SalamanderSoft Limited - Salamander Active Directory, Richards on here as well if you have any questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by akhter View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. How much does Salamander Active Directory cost and whats the process of obtaining a copy?
    Follow the link in Matt's post above. Richard can sort you out with whatever you need, and let you know the pricing. It's worth discussing what other needs you might have, as it's cheaper to combine products if you will later need other solutions from them.

We're currently looking at a number of modules and some bespoke solutions combined together as a package.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread