+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims install windows 7 problem (unable to write to shared directory "(S:\SIMS)" in Technical; before you start I've read the other thread that claims the problem is solved but no solution in that thread ...

Thank Post

Sims install windows 7 problem (unable to write to shared directory "(S:\SIMS)"

before you start I've read the other thread that claims the problem is solved but no solution in that thread works for me. The situation in the other thread is different but looks identical. I have a virgin vanilla xp only SIMS environment with NO mapping errors I felt a new thread was warranted *(can you tell I'm cranky as I've spent a while stuck here).

So.. My S drive is mapped UAC is disabled, I can make and save txt files to the S: drive with no additional prompts. I'm still getting the s:\SIMS unable to write, I have the vannilla server setup (for SIMS)and I've never ever got vista (and now windows 7) to install and run from the S drive. (I've also tried XP compatability mode)

RED DOOR (**** SIMS ******* DIE!)
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 17th December 2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: super angry

Thank Post
    Just temporary does it work if you put it at c:\sims ? (just for testing as I have to s:\sims)

3. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

chazzy2501 (23rd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    what user are you running as? just to be specific, can the user write text files to S:\sims too, as the permissions on sub-folders could be different.
    i'm not sure what it needs to write there, but i know for writing to the C drive, we had problems and it had to be the administrator account that was used.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    If you want to setup SIMS on a Windows 7 or Vista machine you need to map the drive as an administrator & install as an administrator.
    To map the drive you need to go to start/programs/accessories/command prompt (or something like that) Right click on Command Prompt (or shell) & select Run as Administrator.
    Then at a command line type 'net use s: \\sims\path /persistent:yes' (\\sims\path is obviously the server & path to your sims directory.)
    That should map the drive for you as an admin.
    Right click on the simsinst & select run as administrator & it should install correctly.
    Make sure that the users have permision on the SIMS server to write to the sims directory.
    You may need to run sims as an administrator first time by right clicking on Pulsar.exe & selecting run as administrator. May not be required though.
    Last edited by kestrel1; 21st December 2010 at 08:22 PM.

7. Thanks to kestrel1 from:

Thank Post
    this worked? The directory was s:\sims for shared applications I made this the c drive (for testing as I have no Idea how this would affect sims) it seems to have installed and now is asking for the connect.ini. it now refuses to use that Anyharm in using sims without the shared apps?

Thank Post
    Ok It seems to be working but I thought to see how it would work needing an update and it seems it can't without the correct priviliges. I've run the simsperm.bat (as an admin) but it whipps by without conformation and I'm inconvinced it does anything. (I've not used simsperm before it seem to want domain and username I've put it in but it errors 'suninacl' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Oh is it just me but if I use admin CMD (shift,ctrl+enter) I can't access the sims drive but as regular user I can?

p00.

Thank Post
    I had that same problem with SIMS perm and in the end I created my own script which mimiked what SIMS perm did.
    -------------------------------
    Posted it as Resource #804 on Supportnet
    In relation to this thread: I have created a simple script based on Helge Klein | Home of SetACL to set permissions for various directories to enable SIMS updates to run: without using SIMSperm.bat and without opening computers up to possible flaws in security. I'm no script officiado - but pushing this through a computer startup script does the trick for us. Change C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 to the path of your relevant Office install. I accept no responsibility for this, test it first!
    ---------------------------------
    I have enclosed it - give it a go - you'll need to add thew files to the "Computer Configuration" part of a GPO and I would stick them in the "Show Files" which will dump them in the sysvol. Let me know if you need me to expand further SetACLSims_804.zip

11. Thanks to rh91uk from:

Thank Post
    "n:STRICHARDSCC\Staff" Drivemap:domain\share? This should be the sims dir? so in my case "S:dcc4505-2\sims" what is your script doing as it seems a lot leaner than the SIMSperm?

cheers

Thank Post
    No, "STRICHARDSCC\Staff" is a security group in AD you want to grant the permission to.
    Effectively what my script is doing is, on startup, providing you have put all the files in the same dir (thats why I suggested the sysvol) providing all the permissions you need to run SIMS effectively (and also to run upgrades etc).

You;ll either need to run this (I use it) or SImsPerm aswell as sort your S drive problem out. a thought regarding the S drive: it could be related to share/ntfs permissions? Perhaps post up the permissions on that particular directory.

Thank Post
    got it, that makes a whole lot more sense.

I'm unwilling to accept any problems with my S: drive ACLs as it works fine with xp. I can't wrap my head around the problem being with the share or its permissions if it will work for 1 os and not the other?

Thank Post
    Great, I got the script to run succesfully! but normal users still can't upgrade. It gets alot further but still declares that the upgrade failed. I've checked the ACLs and I can see my staff security group has been added to those folders and files.

does sims create a log file for update errors?

Thank Post
    Have you got a screenshot of the upgrade failure as I have not had that issue here; normal users can upgrade fine here. Also, what version of Office are you using?

You may need to change the following...
    SetACL.exe -on "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14" -ot file -actn ace -ace "n:STRICHARDSCC\Staff;p:change"
    to the path of your office folder.

Thank Post
    on the test windows 7 machine I have also installed office 2010 so office14 was also correct for me. I don't thing a screen shot would be useful as it's not an error but the annoying it failed (with no further info) would you like to use the old sims instead. It's the same screen you get when your not a local admin.

Thank Post
    The newest upgrade of Sims looks for a path to the server of \\servername\setups as apposed to \\servername\sims\setups, we had to change the sims.ini to reflect this, now all the clients upgrade fine. I wonder is this is the issue your having?

19. Thanks to pooley from:

chazzy2501 (24th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    on the test windows 7 machine I have also installed office 2010 so office14 was also correct for me. I don't thing a screen shot would be useful as it's not an error but the annoying it failed (with no further info) would you like to use the old sims instead. It's the same screen you get when your not a local admin.
    Hmmm ... I'm lost here as the script works here and got rid of that same error.
    The onoly other thing I can think of script wise is the following ... are you running x64 Windows 7 with x86 office? If so you may need to change the ProgFiles location in the script of Office.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast