+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Sims install windows 7 problem (unable to write to shared directory "(S:\SIMS)" in Technical; (pooley) Nope, the xp clients still update fine. (rh91uk) No I'm running the 32bit win7 pro but I also checked ...
    Thank Post
    (pooley) Nope, the xp clients still update fine. (rh91uk) No I'm running the 32bit win7 pro but I also checked that the staff SG ACL entry was there.

Thank Post
    OK, the problem seems to be one of my own doing, becuase of the way I installed SIMS in the first place (changing the shared app dir) the installer goes wrong even as an admin. It looks as if I must address the S: drive issue under windows 7.

foooey.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    The os can be an issue. Win7 / vista are extra secure. But the issues will mainly manifest on the local machine. For these sorts of problems you end up starting with full admin and then eliminating things one at a time. It's a real pain. We've never used simsperm but there was a good thread a while ago with what to apply by group policy. I think by Bossman.

Thank Post
    OK, I've finally sorted the installer problem! So from the already mapped s: drive I navigate to the SIMSInst.exe and run as administrator, wherein I'm greeted with the message that it can't access the S:\SIMS folder. I'm forced to correct this so I try retyping the directory with "S:\SIMS" it will repeat the error and I can't proceed. However if I use the folder icon next to the field to browse to the s drive and select the sims folder the field will now still says "S:\SIMS but does not complain.

I don't get it but it may have something to do with security tokens. A similar situation I ran into when trying to figure out why the administrator CMD couldn't access mapped drives.

I'll have to assume the the directory ACL entries will allow my non administrative users to update SIMS as I don't know how to test this without an actual update being needed.

Thanks everyone for your help as this has truly sucked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    It couldn't be as simple as the S drive being mapped but disconnected. So it only becomes accessible after double clicking in explorer. I have a number of users instructed to do that first to ensure they are "talking" to the S drive before they run sims. However this would affect normal usage too not just upgrades..

Thank Post
    quick post just incase anyone made it this far and is still wanting to kill sims...

if sims runs fine on xp and not in 7:

uac = on
    logged in as admin
    eventhough your s drive is mapped re map it using the administrator CMD (run as admin) net use s: \\servername\sims
    installer should run fine now.
    reboot
    map s drive using admin again
    set you current directory "cd /d s:\sims\setups"
    run the "simsperm.bat yourdomainname\securitygroup"
    should motor through that lot check for fails..
    disable uac
    normal user should now be able to do the final look for the connect.ini in s:\sims and work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12