+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Potential move from SIMS to Isams - have you done it? in Technical; Morning, I work for a large independant school and we are looking at a potential move from SIMS to iSAMS. ...

Thank Post

Potential move from SIMS to Isams - have you done it?

Morning,

I work for a large independant school and we are looking at a potential move from SIMS to iSAMS.

We are doing a large compare / questions document for the two companies based on what we do at the moment and where we want to go with our MIS over the coming months and years etc.

I would like to know though how people found a migration from SIMS to iSAMS? Easy, hard, time taken, issues etc etc? Also how much data you had in your SIMS database, i imagine if you only used it for contact numbers then it would be easier to migrate than one used for reports, exam results and attendance etc.

Any advice would be of great use.
    Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good luck Max_Power make sure you keep us up-to-date on how it goes will be a useful record for all.

Thank Post
    I also work for a large independent school but I am not sure it is possible to sum up our migration from Sims to iSAMS in a word. It took a great deal of planning and took about 3 months including installation and purchasing and setting up the equipment. The biggest advantage in the process was it forced us to look at what we wanted to use our MIS system for and to prioritise our developments. They were very helpful as data migration between systems is never easy.
    We focused around our reporting system, sharing assessment and reporting with the parents. As a result we were able to achieve 91% of parents using the system.
    We moved 3 years ago and haven’t really looked back. Nothing in ICT is perfect but staff use the system and it is easy to talk to iSAMS.
    Happy to talk further.
    Ian

Thank Post
    Hi Ian,
    Planning and preperation are obviously key to a smooth transition. We use SIMS quite alot (Student reports, attendance, Exams, parent access etc) and therefore any migration would have to include this data so that we can refer back. I have spoken to a couple of schools that have made the move but their use of SIMS was minimal to say the least and i dont think that their migration can give an accruate account of what it was like to move.

I am also keen to hear from people who have done the reverse and have gone from - iSAMS to SIMS and the reasons for that.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Happy to discuss further in more detail. How would that be easier for you?
    Ian

Thank Post
    As one of the largest schools in Oxfordshire we are consulting on the possibility of moving to Academy status. We have been using SIMS since God was a little girl but today I was asked if there was a better MIS out there and how easy would it be to convert to something new (retirement certainly looks good at this point). I'm now expected to come up with costs, converstion suggestions etc etc at the drop of a hat. Is anyone able to offer tips having looked over to the other side of the fence? Do we have to have an MIS? I'm not suggesting we go back to paper registers and mark books etc but what happens if you can't produce things like the School Census in the required format or offer access to parents. Can anyone tell me how much Capita have charged them when they have converted to Academy?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
    As one of the largest schools in Oxfordshire we are consulting on the possibility of moving to Academy status. We have been using SIMS since God was a little girl but today I was asked if there was a better MIS out there.....
    Has this question been answered then for your situation?

Simply from your post, it looks like it has been posed and then a decison automatically made (without answering the question!) that you will move! I would resist any such move unless a thorough analysis has been made of any new system and a thorough comparison made against SIMS. Costs must be weighed against functionality! It's also a crazy time to move when new functionality such as SIMS Discover is just around the corner!
    And have you contacted Capitaes directly to find out any costs for conversion to Academy re. use of SIMS?

If Phil reads your post then I am sure he will respond!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 5th January 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Thank Post
    No, no decision has been taken to definately change (as far as I know). There would have to be massive cost savings, I'm assuming, but now the question has been asked I have to look into it. I have asked Capita about costs but our situation is complicated by the fact we are supported by our LA at the moment and the school is talking about a move away from there too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
    .....I have asked Capita about costs but our situation is complicated by the fact we are supported by our LA at the moment and the school is talking about a move away from there too.
    We did just that, on my recommendation, a few years ago and it is one of the best decisions we made! We are still an LA School apart from this!

Thank Post
    Do schools have to relicense SIMS if they change to an academy? Seriously?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    Do schools have to relicense SIMS if they change to an academy? Seriously?
    It isn't as bad as it sounds the way you put it, but of course they do, no matter what MIS they have - their establishment number will be different!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 6th January 2011 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Of course! Anyone knows a new establishment number cost thousands of pounds...

Thank Post
    Not sure about that! Nothing about the cost on this thread as far as I can see!
    Angelica has asked users here, who have gone thro' the process, what the cost might be!

I can see that the licences might have to be bought again though by the 'new' establishment, as well as the Maintenance costs having to be paid for, for the following year. It isn't the same as just moving Support from LA to Capita (relatively cheap!)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 6th January 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    We have not moved to a new MIS but I hadn't heard of iSAMS until today, does it look like a product that can take over the funcionallity of SIMS (which is reasonably good) with an intuative integrated admin and user interface (which does not exist in SIMS).

Any ideas of the cost of the iSAMS?

Thank Post
    I see it is for independant schools, ho hum.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast