+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Potential move from SIMS to Isams - have you done it? in Technical; Originally Posted by skunk .... SIMS (which is reasonably good) .... reasonably good ???? Now that is a description I ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    .... SIMS (which is reasonably good) ....
    reasonably good ????
    Now that is a description I definitely have to disagree with! Did you mean to type "very good"?
    Last edited by Sivadam; 6th January 2011 at 12:32 PM.

Thank Post
    No, there are too many obvious problems with the software for it to rate a very good. I think reasonably good is a generous rating. I hold dear to me the idea that the reason so many things are not fixed/improved is that Capita are secretly developing a killer MIS in the background and leaving us only the crumbs until we are so hungry we will pay through the nose when they drop it on us.

Sorry this has gone way off topic.....won't interject again.
    Last edited by skunk; 6th January 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Off Topic

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, there are too many obvious problems with the software for it to rate a very good. I think reasonably good is a generous rating. I hold dear to me the idea that the reason so many things are not fixed/improved is that Capita are secretly developing a killer MIS in the background and leaving us only the crumbs until we are so hungry we will pay through the nose when they drop it on us.

Sorry this has gone way off topic.....won't interject again.
    I don't think that is the case, I genuinely believe that they have so many areas of expansion at the moment they are spreading too thinly to make improvements where needed, as you have mentioned. If you look at all the new features and apps and modules they have built in the last two years. I think once the mobile apps take off and are integrated in normal day to day use, there will be room for reflection and getting the niggles working right.

Thank Post
    No, there are too many obvious problems with the software for it to rate a very good....
    If you post some of your 'obvious problems' here or (preferably) on SupportNet then maybe you would get some help in solving them from other SIMS Users.
    Or you might actually pursuade me that they are major issues!

I assume that this thread is linked with the thread on SupportNet that I have also contributed to re. costs etc!
    Change to Academy Status - Databases (30015)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 6th January 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Thank Post
    OMG!

I have just noticed that I have a Green square again.

I need a couple of new controversial SIMS quotes/threads so I can get back into the Red again! I have a reputation to maintain!

Thank Post
    Gosh, it's the first time I've heard of anyone wanting to be "in the red". Still, if that's what you want I'm sure can manage it Sivadam ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
    Gosh, it's the first time I've heard of anyone wanting to be "in the red". Still, if that's what you want I'm sure can manage it Sivadam ;-)
    It's quite a long story if you have not been following my posts for the past months. Basically I have waged a campaign against some threads and posts that were attacking SIMS for no good reason and often doing so based on inaccurate facts or lack of knowledge. Indeed, some of the threads that used to appear from first time contributors, did look very 'suspicious'. There are relatively few of those appearing at the current time!

Some Users do not like the way I do this and I get 'reported'. I refuse to report those that come back at me in an inappropriate way and I respond openly in the forums, not a very popular way of doing things apparantly. For over 4 decades of working in schools I have always criticised and praised people directly and never 'gone behind their backs'. I will not change now at such a 'mature' age!

So my reputation is usually Red, unlike my rep in SupportNet which you are obviously aware of! My reputation here is based on just a few threads despite the fact that I have given help to many SIMS Users in the vast majority of threads I have ever contributed to (as anybody can verify if they do an advanced search on all my posts.) It seems that upsetting people counts far more here than helping people does! But my rep here simply does not bother me as long as people still respect me on SupportNet!

By the way, I sent you a PM re the issue in this thread!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 7th January 2011 at 09:55 AM.

Thank Post
    And more power to your elbow!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    OMG!

I have just noticed that I have a Green square again.
    Your welcome

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    Do schools have to relicense SIMS if they change to an academy? Seriously?
    Indeed they do; something which was criticised in the Becta 2010 report. They saw little justification for it and recommended legislation to stop it. Several of our customers have 'acadamised' (is that a verb?), all we had to do was simply change the establishment number and name. We certainly did not try and rip them off for another licence fee.

11. Thanks to EdWhittaker from:

scholarpack (11th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Amazing..you wouldn't think it would require legislation to stop this..just some common sense..

Thank Post
    OP did you get any further with swapping MIS? We are interesting in iSams although not using SIMS but would still be transfering data. Was just wondering if this got past the investigation stage?

Thank Post
    Hi Dave,

Sorry for late reply, been away on hols!

We are still evaluating the two systems - a large set of requirements has been drawn up so that the comparison can be carried out. We are also speaking with a few schools that have either moved from SIMS to iSAMS or vice versa - we are also speaking with a school who were about to change over and then didnt at the last minute. Hearing mixed things about iSAMS at the moment, but obvioulsy each school has their own requirements.

We have also discussed our plans and concerns with Capita who have actually been very good at taking the things on board and we are speaking with them about how we need to develop the use of SIMS for our school - the things weve spoke about do appear to be common amungst other independent schools.

I will of course keep you updated on what we find etc and do in the future, but it is a long process.

Thanks

15. Thanks to Max_Power from:

dave.81 (18th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    Hi Dave,

a large set of requirements has been drawn up so that the comparison can be carried out
    Thanks
    It would be interesting to see these requirements, any chance you can post/link to them?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Have to agree that would be interesting to see the requirements, especially being an independent school as well. When we brought in our current system the list of wants was so small i could write it on my hand. Have to be honest the idea of changing is a scary thought but being so early in the process not sure anything will happen when it gets down to it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast