+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Cover HTML in Technical; I'm publishing HTML files of our cover daily. However, the HTML being produced is pretty ugly and unprofessional. I can ...

Thank Post

SIMS Cover HTML

I'm publishing HTML files of our cover daily. However, the HTML being produced is pretty ugly and unprofessional. I can edit the HTML file that gets produced in Dreamweaver to make a good looking cover HTML but then everytime I add new cover and update the HTML by pressing 'HTML' in SIMS, the HTML file reverts back to the original ugly version which it is clearly getting from a template somewhere.

Does anyone know where the cover HTML template is stored so that I can reformat it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I'm also interested in how to create your own templates for these reports.

In the meantime however, have you thought about exporting as XML rather than HTML and then applying a XML Transform to it? That way you can set up the Transform file however you want it and just place the updated XML in the same place on the server each day to update it.

If you're unsure how to go about it, this website is a great start: W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Thank Post
    SIMS only gives the option of forming an HTML file though doesn't it?

Thank Post
    I'm not sure about Cover but in most areas of SIMS where HTML is generated, there is also an option further down the box that asks you to specify a template that will allow you to export XML, like this:

SIMS_XML_Output.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cini65 View Post
    SIMS only gives the option of forming an HTML file though doesn't it?
    just html as far as i know. print goes straight to html too. i guess you could script some kind of other output, based on the file it generates.

in other areas, especially built in reports. losojos is right, you have the option to send to browser as html or output xml, or supply your own template. i've made my own templates for things like displaying registration certificates because our working week is sat-wed so need to alter the layout. i'm just getting capita to check them to see if i can share with other schools in the gulf.

with that in mind, i think the html template is built into sims somehow, as the xsl files are for other reports. i have managed to get our cover page to have our school logo in it.

it uses frames i think, so you could create your own master file cover7.htm, and then copy their data, modify it how you want, and then take the data from the daily file that is produced as a frame and get some control that way. you could use vbscript in your master file to read the daily file extract the data and make your own. somthing like that. sorry i don't have time to play and test it so i can prove it would work, but worth a try.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm just looking into this myself and you might have just saved me a lot of wasted time and effort.

Is it confirmed its not possible to automatically apply them?

Also could you post any templates you have?

Thank Post
    This is something I've been asked to look at, too... (Are you listening Capita? People don't like your default output - please let us change it!)

I was planning to get our cover manager to export the regular HTML to a folder on a webserver, then have staff access it via that, while using some PHP/Javascript/JQuery goodness on the way to pretty-fy it.

Haven't had time to even start as yet, but it'll happen eventually!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abullett View Post
    ... (Are you listening Capita? People don't like your default output - please let us change it!)
    Somewhat of a sweeping statement. Maybe it ought to be 'Some people don't.....'

This functionality is fairly basic but it does show exactly what it needs to show. In these days, when cover feeds back the the SIMS Homepage and the main cover list is probably the Summary Sheet for the Staff Room and for a couple of offices (not to mention the feed to SLG that is coming soon) is it worth spending time and money on changing this when there are so many new developments that I, for one, would regard as far more worthy of extra input of time and money!?
    I think that most staff here have actually forgotten that we even publish the Cover in this way!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 16th December 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Somewhat of a sweeping statement. Maybe it ought to be 'Some people don't.....'

This functionality is fairly basic but it does show exactly what it needs to show. In these days when cover feeds back the the SIMS Homepage and the main cover list is probably the Summary Sheet for the Staff Room and for a couple of offices (not to mention the feed to SLG that is coming soon) is it worth spending time and money on changing this when there are so many new developments that I, for one, would regard as far more worthy of extra input of time and money!?
    Here we go again...

Thank Post
    The specificity of my comment doesn't change the fact that a little flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah, there more than likely are more important developments that should be made first. It doesn't change the fact that there are users out there who perceive that this particular area of the software is lacking in features.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Here we go again...
    It's Christmas!
    I need my Red Squares back before it's too late!
    That Green one ain't very festive.

Thank Post
    It's Christmas!
    I need my Red Squares back before it's too late!
    That Green one ain't very festive.
    I'll give you one thing: you're resilient! After a nuclear war, all that would be left would be cockroaches, you and your SIMS manual!

So do you have any work arounds to suggest to the OP in relation to their question?

Thank Post
    Unfortunately not.
    The print-out has suited me for its purpose ever since we started using the Cover7 Module as part of the Field Trial quite a number of years ago.
    For us it is merely a back stop so that we still have acces to the data if the SIMS Server goes down (or some other such issue). Staff simply do not use it that much.
    They mainly check their SIMS timeline for the Cover.

As for the nuclear war - didn't I notice one of those on these forums a few weeks ago?
    Everbody knows now that if they drop a misdirected bomb then I'll throw one back! (and keep throwing!)
    Last edited by Sivadam; 16th December 2010 at 12:27 PM.

Thank Post
    As for the nuclear war - didn't I notice one of those on these forums a few weeks ago?
    Everbody knows now that if they drop a misdirected bomb then I'll throw one back! (and keep throwing!)
    You know, if you really want people to stop having a dig, you should try helping people out every now and then rather than just flaming them for not thinking SIMS is perfect... constructive criticism is received much better I find

Anyway, this is getting off topic now, so that's the last I'll say on the matter (until next time of course)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cini65 View Post
    Does anyone know where the cover HTML template is stored so that I can reformat it?
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos
    So do you have any work arounds to suggest to the OP in relation to their question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam
    Unfortunately not.
    So why not stay out of the thread instead of saying that the functionality the OP wants changed is actually suitable for him, he just doesn't know it yet.

16. Thanks to scholarpack from:

LosOjos (16th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast