+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS output to XML in Technical; Our SIMS reports are saved as XML files into a folder per subject that the staff then edit in word ...

Thank Post

SIMS output to XML

Our SIMS reports are saved as XML files into a folder per subject that the staff then edit in word before being reimported to SIMS. When we come to print these files it can be a royal PITA both in terms of getting them printed and then collating them for each student.

We've got round the issue of office 2010 not having, by default, a "right click and print" option for xml files from Windows explorer by using a registry hack but we're still left with a folder per subject full of an xml file per student that means we have loads of collating to do.
    With over 1600 pupils getting a report on 10 subject (approx) this would be a massive time saving.

I'd like to be able to walk the subject folders for the year groups reports and concatenate all the files for each student into one file. However I'm not familiar with the SIMS/windows xml formatting of the files. I'm happy scripting perl to do this I just need to
    a) find out if there is a better way of doing this
    b) know which parts of the XML files need to be stripped in order to successfully concatenate them.

As there are 3.5k lines per file I thought I'd ask before trying.

Any help appreciated

Ultimately all the data will be entered directly into sims but for now training 120 staff is more time consuming than i think this script will be.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    i'm normally in favor of quicker workarounds but in this case, making them type into a marksheet is quicker. even get them to type into work and copy and paste into a marksheet.

then get sims to generate the whole document and upload at once. no faffing. you gotta use the system the way it was intended.

how are you making individual subject sheets, separate ind. reports for each one? that's gotta be slow.

I take it you are using assessment manager. if you set up profiles then that allows word like editing, but is a big job to set up and understand.

there are workarounds for bulk printing, the simplest being from the file print / open menu. or rename all files with simple vb script. or registry hack to add a right click context menu. there is another thread here for that, in the last couple of weeks i think.

as for concatenation, there is a script here for that too, in a recent thread. have a look and see if you get any joy if not, i'll be back from my meeting shortly and can find the links for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    This thread has some very useful info that might help you : Printing XML Files in Batch

also this one discusses output to pdf which you may find interesting : Sims Assessment Manager Individual Reports

hth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread