+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Problem with attaching letters in Technical; Hi all, I have been passed a weird issue by one of our Schools. Whenever they try to attach letters ...

Thank Post

Problem with attaching letters

Hi all,

I have been passed a weird issue by one of our Schools. Whenever they try to attach letters to students, it always fails if there are more than a couple of students selected. It also fails at random points, so for example in a batch of 20 students, it could fail at the first, the seventh, the eighteenth, etc.

The steps the user is taking are as follows:
    Reports - Lesson Monitor - Letters - Print Letters. They select whichever group of students they need, then select the relevant letter. The letters then appear fine and can be printed as needed, but when it comes to attach the letters eventually the following error is received:

The process cannot access the file \\server\Home folders$\Staff\user\My SIMS Documents\user.name\temp basic concerns letter over attendance .csv because it is being used by another process.

When checking students afterwards, some letters are attaching but then it is failing and no more are being attached. It also doesn't matter which letter is trying to be attached, they all fall over in a batch operation.

Before I start digging too far (SIMS isn't really my strong point!), has anybody seen this before, or anything similar?

It also is not user specific, although it does only seem to effect users with a network home drive. I set up a standard account on a machine, and the letters seemed to attach fine. Wasn't an administrator so doesn't appear to be permissions related.

Any help on this is much appreciated!

Clents are Windows 7, servers are Windows Server 2008
    Last edited by JonahIJ; 8th December 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Do they have full control of my docs? And are they the owner.
    Last edited by matt40k; 10th December 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Do they have full control of my docs? And are they the owner.
    i was thinking that. they aren't sharing the same folder are they? but if it works sometimes, then it can't be permissions can it.

i've had problems with users that have roaming profiles. it sounds like that csv file it uses is being accessed by someone/thing else. perhaps antivirus or backup process is accessing that folder, could you put in an exception.

there's a way to turn on auditing so you can see what is happening to that folder / file while you test. cant remember how though.

Thank Post
    Jonah, I am having the same issue, except viewing the CSV it never gets past the first letter. Like you, it works if you attach one as a time (this takes too long) but not in batch of 2 or more. The same error is returned.

Clients are Windows7, servers are Windows Server 2008

Did you ever find a reason for it?

Thank Post
    @trogers - i seem to be saying this alot for all problems, but so far it does the trick and helps to rule out any intrinsic SIMS issue: have you tried as the administrator account?

Thank Post
    We are having same issue here

If 1 doc attached it works fine but if more than 1 it fails with a similar message to: The process cannot access the file \\server\Home folders$\Staff\user\My SIMS Documents\user.name\temp basic concerns letter over attendance .csv because it is being used by another process.

I have looged this with SIMS Support

Will report any fix here

7. Thanks to darkest_star from:

trogers (17th May 2011)

Thank Post
    It could be something to do with that issue whereby after you're done with an office document, it has a fit with the normal.dot or whatever it's called now, and it's somehow not releasing the file again for the next letter... Not sure what the fix would be.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread