+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Contacts Nationality in Technical; I have just found out that SIMS in my friend's school has the Nationality field for Contacts of the student ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Contacts Nationality

I have just found out that SIMS in my friend's school has the Nationality field for Contacts of the student and our SIMS doesn't. We are both using the autumn release version 7.132. It is weird. Does anyone know anything about this? I don't know which exactly version that the Contacts Nationality field appears?

Thank Post
    Possibly a user defined field. I'll check.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is. I have just checked with my friend. Sorry! Thanks Phil

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    We usually assume the student's nationality is the same as the parents, though obviously that's not always the case. things here are a bit crazy and often many people have two nationalities depending on what it's for!

While on the subject, do you need to use the students nationalities for anything? I want to see it available as an option on the new student list reports as it's v.important to us for visa issues, school trips, internal memos relevant to certain nationalities, for providing stats to external and internal bodies etc.

Wondered if it's something you would find useful...?

I'm currently in talks with my account manager about how best to get the change request logged so that other international schools will vote for it as i'm pretty sure it's useful for international schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Vik,

It is quite important for us to have both student's nationality and their parent's nationality as our school is an international school. As SIMS doesn't have the nationality field for contacts so we have to use the UDF for it. The problem is when I design a Student list report I cannot add that contacts UDF into it. I need to run it separately in the Contacts list report. We use these fields for many purposes. They are very useful for the SMT.

I think it is great to have a change request logged for it. My friend's school which I mentioned above, is an International school in Malaysia and they need it too.
    Last edited by mioiskute; 7th December 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I might like to say here as a former employee of an independant school who had 15-20% senior students from overseas, this would be very handy to have in all versions, so do include that Vik (I have been banished from SupportNet since leaving the school!).

Thank Post
    Awesome, maybe @PhilNeal can give it a push with Greg. I hesitated to just create a Change Request as support can be poor and sporadic and it'd end up getting lost. I'm trying to find a way to garner support up front or do a straw poll to show how useful it is. I add the field for students to my custom reports and its used all the time but having it easily available for staff to use on the fly would be great.

It's called Nation under passport details, and the lookups match the name i.e. UK, France, etc. rather than British, French, but it still does the trick for us.

I'll keep this updated when i hear anything back.

8. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

GREED (8th December 2010), mioiskute (8th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    It's called Nation under passport details, and the lookups match the name i.e. UK, France, etc. rather than British, French, but it still does the trick for us.
    Yeah, we also use that one for student's nationality and it works fine. We haven't got any problem with it so far. Our problem is with the contacts' nationality. I hope they can include it too.

Thank you very much Vik! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank Post
    No problem.
    If anyone else thinks this will be useful, please post a comment here. thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I might like to say here as a former employee of an independant school who had 15-20% senior students from overseas, this would be very handy to have in all versions, so do include that Vik (I have been banished from SupportNet since leaving the school!).
    Quote Originally Posted by mioiskute View Post
    Yeah, we also use that one for student's nationality and it works fine. We haven't got any problem with it so far. Our problem is with the contacts' nationality. I hope they can include it too.

Thank you very much Vik! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
    I'm so sorry for the delay in doing this, i was pursuing with account manager in the hope we wouldn't have to log a change request, as for us this is often a legal issue and / or required for visa purposes, permission to attend our school, accreditation etc.

Anyway, we have to log it in the usual way, so please go and vote and spread the word:

Change Request # 1103-856038

http://support.capitaes.co.uk/Change...a8%c3%a1%c3%91

p.s. mioskute - i added in your issue about UDF, so maybe that will get pushed too
    Last edited by vikpaw; 3rd March 2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: type

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thanks Vik! I've just voted

Thank Post
    This does not really affect me as much as it will do for Independent and foreign-based schools, but it sounds like a very good idea and so it has my votes too.

Home based schools may well find it of use anyway. The number of First Languages represented in this school has grown rapidly over the last couple of years and it could prove useful to start recording the Nationality of the Contacts in a more efficient manner.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread