+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Annual Reporting in Technical; Is anyone using the SIMS module for yearly pupil reports? It was mentioned to me but I can't seem to ...

Thank Post

SIMS Annual Reporting

Is anyone using the SIMS module for yearly pupil reports? It was mentioned to me but I can't seem to find out much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,924 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We did use it at one point but found it turned out to be a disaster (can't remember why now, I'll see if I can find out more from the boss). We then switched to using Assessment Manager instead.

I have a feeling it was something to do with staff needing to be in school to do the work to create the reports, but I'll need to confirm.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

laserblazer (3rd December 2010)

Thank Post
    We use assemment manager here to create reports. Took datamanagers a little time to sort the report layout out but once it got there it was ok. No spell check etc in SIMS so we produce a word template for people to work on and then copy and paste or link document back into SIMS once finished.

Not sure why we didnt use profiles for reports but think it was because it wasnt part of SLG so couldnt do reports from home. But using Citrix Zen app or a terminal server could sort that?

5. Thanks to Max_Power from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    We use AM7 for reports, but have been looking to move to profiles. What is the annual reporting module? (or do you mean profiles?)

7. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    We use AM7 for reports, but have been looking to move to profiles. What is the annual reporting module? (or do you mean profiles?)
    Sorry, I'm not the SIMS manager (thank God) and that was what I was asked to find out about. I'll suggest they look at Assessment Manager but like everything else we've considered it seems like hard work. Why can't they hand write them like when I was at school?

Thank Post
    We use AM7 Individual Reports for sending out data 4 times a year.

We also use Profiles7 Reports for the more detailed report that is sent out once per year!
    I would recommend Profiles to any school but you need to understand it thoroughly before you actually launch it for general use!

10. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Previous school used AM7 for all reporting at all levels, very successful with minimal hassle. Working with a school now on the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Is anyone using the SIMS module for yearly pupil reports? It was mentioned to me but I can't seem to find out much.
    'the' SIMS module as has been mentioned would be Profiles - it does take some setting up, and has limitations still that you need to be aware of. It is however a more powerful engine than assessment manager. It can pull grades in from assessment manager, have comment banks, and manages the line managers review / edit process. It does also now work on SLG - can you confirm Sivadam...?

If you are not using assessment manager at the moment, then either route is going to take some setting up to get right, and i'd go for Profiles. Go on a course or at least read the manual thoroughly. If it's not your responsibility, i'd get your SIMS manager to get reading EduGeek and SupportNet, as they need to take ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    We use assemment manager here to create reports. Took datamanagers a little time to sort the report layout out but once it got there it was ok. No spell check etc in SIMS so we produce a word template for people to work on and then copy and paste or link document back into SIMS once finished.

Not sure why we didnt use profiles for reports but think it was because it wasnt part of SLG so couldnt do reports from home. But using Citrix Zen app or a terminal server could sort that?
    Spell check is available in SIMS, and it's much easier to get them to do the work directly into SIMS. Either into marksheets if using Assessment Manager or whatever the Profiles template is if using that. Both should now be available remotely via SLG.

We currently use Assessment Manager here, and it's well set up, so it's easier to keep with that system, also it gives us some flexibility with the way our terms / timetables work to use AM over Profiles.

Most staff here enter grades whilst at school, write comments at school when they can, and do the rest into their own word documents at home then copy paste in when they get here.

This term the Primary school tried to just use a Word template out of SIMS to write directly into, but it wont upload in bulk, so now some poor secretary in the office has to manually link each document back. A complete waste of time, but that was their decision!

Thankfully the Upper School are sticking with the tried and tested method.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=vikpaw;598652]
    This term the Primary school tried to just use a Word template out of SIMS to write directly into, but it wont upload in bulk, so now some poor secretary in the office has to manually link each document back. A complete waste of time, but that was their decision!

QUOTE]

I'm sure i have heard from Capita that the bulk upload feature is nearing release. Although i think they said it would be a PDF.

Thank Post
    Bulk loading of profiles to the document management system has been available for years. What is new is bulk loading profiles to SLG for parental access.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Bulk loading of profiles to the document management system has been available for years. What is new is bulk loading profiles to SLG for parental access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I'm sure i have heard from Capita that the bulk upload feature is nearing release. Although i think they said it would be a PDF.
    I'm not talking of the usual bulk uploading from profiles or assessment manager, i mean after the reports have been exported to a folder somewhere out of SIMS. If they are edited as word files, they can't be reuploaded again in bulk can they...? If you look at a linked document, in some instances it can be edited and sent back up, but i didn't think you could do that for a batch of exported files.

Please tell me i'm wrong...

Thank Post
    I agree Vik - it does seems a shame that SIMS does not have such a facility. Surely if they put in the constraint that files have to be named along the same lines as the way they get named if you export to disk from AM Individual Report i.e. "surname-forename-adno-filename" then it surely wouldnt be too difficult to have a browser/uploader that link attached the documents to the right student??
    I had a brief demo of Cohesion's RECORDLINKwriter a year or so back and thought that might do what I have just described, but at the time they also said no. Not sure if that has changed.

Thank Post
    yep exactly my situation i've exported out, and need to send back in. however i understand this is using the system backwards and should be done properly, but in certain circumstances it can be useful to be able to do this.

as far as i know recordlinkwriter, that just lets you add things to SIMS on the fly, but even then you need to log in, find the student etc. easier to edit a quickletter i think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread