+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Registration without Lesson Monitor in Technical; We don't have lesson monitor, I'm not convinced we need it - could any one confirm if the below is ...

Thank Post

Question Registration without Lesson Monitor

We don't have lesson monitor, I'm not convinced we need it - could any one confirm if the below is possible (we are currently using OMR sheets - eek)!

We want to register electronically, all classroom workstations have SIMs .net installed (pe being the exception)! A class teacher logs on to SIMs and from their timeline can select their current class. They are presented with a set list - but do not seem to be able to register the class.

We only want to record AM and PM sessions, we register in class (first and fourth period), we have no specific registration period.

It seems all set up to work (without lesson monitor) - but doesn't work. Lesson monitor seems very expensive for us as we wouldn't require registration for each period, we don't need any of the behaviour, reward features of lesson monitor.

Hope the above makes sense, and hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction!!

Thank Post
    It will only work if it is a designated form period and not a Lesson marked as a form period or if you look at it another way the group has to be a form and not an academic class.

Thank Post
    So in T6 we'd have to have two additional registration periods which would consume part of the P1 & P4 lessons? Shame there's no way to map it as a registration period!

Is this a documented method? Advised or not?

Thank Post
    Teachers logging in to SIMS .net for secondary schools which do not possess a Lesson Monitor will see only lessons on their Homepage timeline.
    By going in to:-
    Focus, Attendance, Take Register the teacher will then be able to see only their AM and PM sessions on the timeline.
    The user is also able to right click on the Homepage timeline and select 'Take Register' to take their AM and PM session registers.

'Attendance Only users' cannot take the session register within a lesson electronically through Take Register. The electronic recording of Attendance marks using lesson periods is only available through Lesson Monitor.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 1st December 2010 at 08:23 PM.

Thank Post
    When they goto the "take register" section there is an AM and PM option as you suggest, but they are greyed out. I'm unsure why, though I believe this is because we don't have AM/PM registrations set up in T6 as ChrisH suggests!

Thank Post
    AM & PM Sessions in 'Attendance' have nothing to do with NT6. They are picked up from the Pastoral Management system.
    I assume that you have the Groups, Pupils and Staff set up correctly in Pastoral Management? If so then the Reg Group Tutors should be able to mark their Groups' Registers (but not via lessons!). These Staff would also need Registration Group Tutor permissions.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 1st December 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeah all of our reg groups and houses are set in pastoral structure etc.

So the only way forward with attendance is to use lesson monitor?

Thank Post
    No.
    The alternative is to have specified Registration Periods as part of your school day!

However, by not having Lesson Monitor and not using the Achievment/Behaviour/Report Card links etc. etc. then your SIMS is not being used as effectively as it could be.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 1st December 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Thank Post
    My only issue at the moment is cost, it's not just the initial cost it's the ongoing support from our LA hmm

Thank Post
    'Fraid that ain't anything I can help with.
    Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

Thank Post
    :-) Thank you for the information, I think for the time being we'll have to manage without but possibly build it in to future plans!

Thank Post
    The only way to register in sets with attendance is via Focus > Attendance > Edit Marks > - within there you can select what you want to see ie a whole year group, reg group or academic class. Once filtered you need to find the acadmic class and open it up as usual... pretty long winded :

Our account manager keeps promising to give us a discount on Lesson Monitor. We're an independent school in the same boat, we only want to register am/pm with the pm being in sets more often than not but nothing has come of that as yet, I've given up asking... its really not worth us paying out for the full lesson monitor package when all we want is to be able to click on a lesson and get the right group up in attendance.
    Last edited by Jamman960; 1st December 2010 at 11:18 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread