+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, RECALL of SIMS Learning Gateway SLG Autumn 2010 in Technical; I got this notification from Paul Metcalfe last night: We have found an error in SIMS Learning Gateway Autumn Release ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

RECALL of SIMS Learning Gateway SLG Autumn 2010

I got this notification from Paul Metcalfe last night:

We have found an error in SIMS Learning Gateway Autumn Release (7.136) which prevents its installation where there are multiple web applications. For this reason we have stopped further Autumn SLG software downloads and ask customers not to apply this upgrade if they have already downloaded it.

We expect to fix this and re-release on Friday, later this week. No other SIMS software is affected by this and it only affects customers that self-host SIMS Learning Gateway.

If you have applied SLG Autumn 7.136 this is a recoverable situation, please email me so that we can help you.

I apologise for the inconvenience and will update you again on Thursday, at the latest.

Thank you, Paul

Paul Metcalfe
    Product Manager - Schools eLearning
    Just in case you don't get the notifications as i can't see anything obvious on the SupportNet homepage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Darn! (there is stronger language that i could use), why oh why do they not TEST these things! and why didn't they put it on support net? *end of rant*

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good job our LEA hasn't got the update scheduled for Somerset until December 3rd!

Thank Post
    With this in mind and the imminence of the December Seasonal vacation, i think i will sit on the SIMS Autumn upgrade until January, some time after BETT will be nice and comfortable, and satisfies the rule of thumb "2 months after official launch date" requirement

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just got ours installed this week on Sharepoint 2010.

Shame it has to be updated again but the guy is going to remote in and do it for us I think.

Apparently Capita do have a big testing environment inhouse but bugs like this still seam to be getting through.

Thank Post
    Yep, and it's a real pain in the backside as I need the Autumn update as there should be a fix I need yet I can't apply it as it will cause issues with our hosted SLG (apparently) and it's report wrinting time!

Thank Post
    Note that this bug also delays the upgrade on the hosted platform, so any schools with hosted SLG should hold off upgrading too.

Dear Hosted SLG Customer,

Subject: Delay to Upgrading Capita Hosted SIMS Learning Gateway

I am writing with as much notice as possible to inform you that upgrading of the Capita Hosted SIMS Learning Gateway platform to the SLG Autumn 2010 release has been unavoidably delayed and will now take place on Saturday 4th December 2010. This was originally scheduled for the 27th November but the software release has been delayed.

This therefore means that the Hosted Learning Gateway system will be unavailable from 12:00 on 4th December 2010 until 17:00 on 4th December 2010 instead to allow for this work to be carried out.

Schools are advised not to take the SIMS Autumn 2010 release until this work is complete.

We do not anticipate that this delay will affect the phased-rollout schedule of the new capability for publishing reports, and this will continue as outlined in my previous email.

Kind Regards

Sarah

Thank Post
    And what about this scenario:-
    The SIMS Discover Field Trial Licence etc was released to us Field Trial Schools today. Obviously, we have to upgrade to SIMS v7.136 first.
    And ......

I guess you can complete the last bit yourselves!

The first SIMS Discover Conference call is scheduled for 6th December!

Hopefully I will receive a swift response to the questioning email I have just sent to Capita SIMS UAT!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 24th November 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Thank Post

Post Update: re-release info

Here is an update for you:

This follows my previous email about an issue with the SIMS Learning Gateway Autumn 2010 release that affects customers that host their own SLG software installation. Whilst the Autumn SLG upgrade works as expected, the Site Update Tool fails to allow the new package (ie deployment of Online Reports capability) to be run where there are multiple web applications.

We have investigated this and propose the following course of action:

• If you have downloaded and applied the SLG Autumn release we will provide a patch that is to be applied to your SLG platform. We aim to provide and support you in applying this SLG patch from Monday, 29th November, and you will be contacted directly to arrange this.

• If you have not applied SLG Autumn, please refrain from doing so and wait for us to provide the SLG Autumn re-release. We aim to provide this re-release on Friday, 3rd December. This re-release is to be applied to SLG Summer 2010.

May I please remind you that we recommend that SIMS is not upgraded to Autumn 2010 until you have upgraded SLG to Autumn 2010 to ensure complete compatibility.

No other SIMS software or service is affected by this SIMS Learning Gateway issue.

We very much apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards, Paul

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did the patch get released in the end?

I'm still stuck on the "broken" version

Thank Post

SLG Autumn 2010 Re-release (7.136.26)

Here's the latest mate:

Im pleased to inform you that the SIMS Learning Gateway Autumn Re-release (7.136.26) is now available.

This update is to be applied to the existing installation of SIMS Learning Gateway at SLG Summer 2010. This will ensure compatibility with the SIMS 2010 Autumn Release (SIMS .net 7.136) and provides new SLG features.

Full details on how to upgrade to this version are in the attached Release Note, and also the Handbook please read them carefully. The URL for downloading the zip file is :

Customers that applied SLG Autumn 2010 (7.136) are not to apply this re-release as well, and instead are to contact the SIMS Service Desk for a patch to be applied.

Regards,
    Paul Metcalfe

**Please note that the zip file will extract a new folder structure into a chosen local directory. The msi update files will be found under the corresponding folders to be applied to the relevant servers**

Paul Metcalfe
    Product Manager - Schools eLearning
    It comes with release notes that should be available on SupportNet.

I've removed the link to the download and the password, as i don't think they should be public domain. You can request them from support if they are required.

In your case zag, if you've already got the broken version you need to contact anyway as you're not supposed to install this on top.

Thank Post
    update 1pm GMT yesterday:

The SLG Autumn 2010 download link was taken offline for a short period of time today while its Release Note was updated (as per attached). The link is fully operational again now. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards, Paul

Thank Post
    @Vikpaw,

Where are you seeing that item from Paul Metcalfe? It's not on supportnet (that I can see) and I haven't received anything via email.

edit: found it.
    Last edited by pete; 7th December 2010 at 09:14 AM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've done this patch and now but when I go to Central administration >> Application Management >> SLG Update I get this

Code:
    Web Part Error: A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Page cannot be displayed or imported. The type SLG.Admin.WebParts.SLGSiteUpdate, SLGAdmin, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21f532fe36bf9cd6 could not be found or it is not registered as safe.

Not impressed with the SLG at all so far, errors all over the place.

Uploading PDF reports doesn't seem to work either
    Last edited by zag; 7th December 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Have you applied the Licence Patch (14921) to SIMS v7.136?
    Last edited by Sivadam; 7th December 2010 at 11:13 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast