Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Leaving LA Support and moving to Capita Direct Support? in Technical; In defence of the LA's etc, Capita provide break-fix support, LA's provide that, via Capita, along with "how do i?" ...

Thank Post
    In defence of the LA's etc, Capita provide break-fix support, LA's provide that, via Capita, along with "how do i?" support. Break-Fix is a must, you can't avoid it. LA's get a percentage back for doing the donkey work. They tend to bulk it up by embedding training and also offering cheaper training, so instead of pay 1k to Capita you can pay (I'm guessing) 400 to your LA.

The only problem I see with Sivadam school is what happens when he leaves. Hopefully they are large enough and wise enough to have staff to pick everything up when he does leave and they are not silly enough to think SIMS users - aka admin staff, are easily replaceable. Long go are the days of schools hiring high level math teachers.

Although SIMS is very simple to learn it doesn't get the most out of it, like Sivadam is doing day after day, nor will it be as smooth and trouble free!!

IMHO you need at least 3 SIMS experts to cover the bulk with a nice bit of cross over with regards to knowledge. If you don't have this, you'll need a training\support deal. They need to be local, they need to be able to visit and offer onsite day visits, so if you need a timetabling creating, or cover 7 doing for a few days along with other bits, they can offer such a thing or at the very least give you a helping hand.

Now whether this is "Capita", your LA, another school, a 3rd party or Joe's fish'n'chip down the road, I guess it depends on the cost, quality of service etc.

Out of interest, how much, if they can, does Capita charge if your LDF becomes corrupt because of your backup (or such) and you have no valid backup?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    The only problem I see with Sivadam school is what happens when he leaves. Hopefully they are large enough and wise enough to have staff .......
    Exactly right Matt! We have some very knowledgable staff here but we have to ensure that we have a comprehensive succession plan in place in the next couple of years! I ain't too far from moving into a life of 'leisure'.

One of the main issues is getting somebody to take the timetabling role that I have held for over a quarter of a century. On at least two occasions now, I have managed to inservice senior staff into timetabling in general (inc Curriculum planning!) and then into the basics of NT6. Each of these staff then subsequently left the school to move to a higher management position in another school before they have even had chance to attempt putting a timetable together!

Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    ..... Out of interest, how much, if they can, does Capita charge if your LDF becomes corrupt because of your backup (or such) and you have no valid backup?
    I don't normally comment on questions about Capita and LA costs costs because they will be dependent on different criteria in each school/LA, but this is an easy one to answer!
    'SIMS Guidance on Chargeable Fixes' is in the Sticky Items section on the SupportNet Homepage, as is the 'SIMS Customer Support Charter'.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 26th November 2010 at 08:10 AM.

Thank Post
    We have been with Capita now for a year, my Sims knowledge has decreased because every time we have a problem I pick the phone up and they remote to our sims server and fix the issue. Plain and simple. The engineer at the other end with talk you through things or remote and tell you ever step of the way whats going on. A few times ive left them working (had my dinner) and they'd phoned back to say everything is working!

Sometimes abit slow to solve things i.e 1-2 days at the max. Ive got nothing but praise and if your Sims tech, manager is away its no biggy!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    We have been with Capita now for a year, my Sims knowledge has decreased because every time we have a problem I pick the phone up and they remote to our sims server and fix the issue. Plain and simple. The engineer at the other end with talk you through things or remote and tell you ever step of the way whats going on. A few times ive left them working (had my dinner) and they'd phoned back to say everything is working!
    Isn't that what every SIMS Support Team does???

Thank Post
    Chelmsford Service Desk Systems Down
    Chelmsford Service Desk are currently experiencing technical difficulties with phone lines and Logging system.
    We are looking into these issues urgently and apologise for any inconvenience.

It brought a smile to my face.

Thank Post
    Good job we don't use Chemsford then........!

Thank Post
    As part of a review of all of our SLA agreements recently I asked the question to CAPITA for a costing for the exact support that our LA provide us - CAPITA came in at around 5k more than what we currently pay for the support from the LA. We don't have any issues with the LA support but I was interested if their was a cost saving at all going direct to CAPITA.

I guess the LA have negotiated such a good deal with CAPITA and cover enough schools in the area to provide a good service at a good rate + if we had moved to CAPITA we would miss out on the free MIS courses available through the LA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12