+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Taking ownership of reports [Solved] in Technical; Some time ago a user had a problem with their SIMS account. Their account had to be removed and recreated. ...
    Thank Post

Taking ownership of reports [Solved]

Some time ago a user had a problem with their SIMS account. Their account had to be removed and recreated. However, under their old account they had created some reports - nice complicated ones that relied on the output of other reports. These reports require editing but, obviously, SIMS wants to save them as something completely different because they no longer belong to the user. This will throw template and other things into disarray.

So... instead of recreating the reports completely from scratch (long job), I was wondering if there was any way of taking ownership of reports so you can edit them freely and overwrite them. Or, just transferring the reports from one user to the other.

Or... do they have to be done all over again

Thank Post
    Just open the Report in Design View and then do a 'Save As .......' The new report will then be 'owned' by you!

Thank Post
    I know that route. Problem is, there's that many templates and other bits associated with the various reports, it messes everything up when I do a "Save As...". It's something I'll have to do if I don't find a way of just transferring ownership. That's a last resort kind of thing.

Thank Post
    Save a new copy with a new name. Make new user with same name as the old one. Use that user to deleat the original. Then rename the new copy back to the original name. Job done.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    I understand the issue entirely, there are some procedures on SupportNet to follow in a forum thread or two about how best to 'clone' reports. I think a thread here as well, both probably with input from Sivadam.

Usually do a Save As, then immediately open the template file associated with it and resave with no changes and then exit and save the report again. This 'should' make a copy of the template and associate with the new report so that neither end up with broken connections. I'm not sure what you've got that is complicated, but it's the built in template that should be the biggest worry.

What i would do first is to export the report individually, to a folder and tick the check box to take associated templates with it. This means you have a backup. On restore this will be assigned to the system rather than another user. Now you can edit and try to clone this one without affecting your original.

I know a while back, and i think even now with Office 2010, just opening a template on a system that's not correctly setup with permissions / or the right version of office, could break the template. Certainly the case with individual report templates.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: So yes, you do have to recreate reports essentially, there isn't even a global delete permission, so you have to be logged in as that user to delete too. Normally, it's possible to reinstate an old user, change the password and then do edits / deletes if necessary. Not sure what happens if you totally delete the account, though it's not really possible, it only goes inactive. The new user even if the name is changed should still have ownership of the reports, under the new login details. Can't they access?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 24th November 2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    The main issues that arise re. Templates are usually associated with Mail Merge Reports. If the instructions are followed correctly as per the Reporting Handbook - Page 39, 'Editing the Report Mail Merge Document' then issues should not arise.

So, please regard this as an addendum to my statement above!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the issue is deleting the original ones (not sure if this has been picked up) then at last check you had to go in as the original user, which often meant recreating or reactivating the original user account in SIMS, then deleting that way.

Thank Post
    There is a routine now for deleted old SIMS users private documents.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    There is a routine now for deleted old SIMS users private documents.
    There is? I've missed that. I'll take a look later.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does that include report in the reports setion matt? I honestly don't know but would like to know.

I know there is the facility to interact with documents uploaded to SIMS that has been there for a bit now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Does that include report in the reports setion matt? I honestly don't know but would like to know.

I know there is the facility to interact with documents uploaded to SIMS that has been there for a bit now.
    I don't think it's for reports, it's for orphaned docs in the document storage, which could technically be a template from a data report, but the actual report definition wont delete unless the user does it. Unless there is a new feature that has been kept very hush hush. . . .?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it, many many people were asking for that for years without success!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'll work on it this morning.

Thank Post
    I did as vikpaw suggested and managed to make myself the new owner of these particular reports. Edited the bits that needed it. Exported. Imported. Everything works and the report is owned by the system. Thankfully, no changes will need to be made in future.

Thanks again, peeps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Take a backup of complex reports (ie ones that have complex templates), as SIMS probably still has the editing templates problem whereby it will over write one template from one report with another, very frustrating!!!

I took backups of all important reports so they could just be reimported should they go wrong!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast