+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Free MIS system recommendation which also does academic reporting in Technical; Can anyone recommend a free MIS system that also does academic reporting? Cheers. Ian....

Thank Post

Free MIS system recommendation which also does academic reporting

Can anyone recommend a free MIS system that also does academic reporting?

Cheers.

Ian.

Thank Post
    We (Scholarpack) are a free MIS that does academic reporting. PM me if you want more info. But I believe there are others too like SchoolTool, FreeMIS, SchoolThing - although I haven't checked on these for a while so not sure if they do the reporting. Other independent providers like isams and Bromcom obviously do reporting but they're not going to be free.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info - currently I only have 1 post so can't use the PM feature on here yet.

I was considering the 'scholarpack' option but couldn't find the download link. Suggestions?

Cheers,

Ian.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iscott View Post
    Thanks for the info - currently I only have 1 post so can't use the PM feature on here yet.

I was considering the 'scholarpack' option but couldn't find the download link. Suggestions?

Cheers,

Ian.
    The open source download is down for a few days whilst I get a Linux release together. If you are in UK we host/support UK schools for free.

Thank Post
    I'm actually in India working at a school with very low income/finances available - hence my 'free' requirement! We run a few (very old) servers and a 'computer lab' of sorts of older PCs, all Windows XP.

If you could let me know when the download is available, that'd be great.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thank Post
    I see - well, the download is going to be Linux only because we've had issues around releasing source code in a windows installer. However if you want to send me an email at richard [at] scholarpack.com I'll try to get an up to date windows build for you that should run fine on XP.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have asked out Database Manager to have a look at the documentation. She has said that she can't see a way of managing Exams. Is there something we have missed?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I have asked out Database Manager to have a look at the documentation. She has said that she can't see a way of managing Exams. Is there something we have missed?

Thanks.
    Exams management, along with several other modules are not part of the open source version, and the documentation online is mostly relevant to that version. Schools that sign up with us get everything we do for free, including all documentation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Can you please clarify what 'signing up' entails? I'm not clear on why some parts are not available open source, if a school signs up then are they allowed to customise the code for these extra options..? cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Can you please clarify what 'signing up' entails? I'm not clear on why some parts are not available open source, if a school signs up then are they allowed to customise the code for these extra options..? cheers
    Signing up means we'll host and support your school for free, as well as give training days, in return for the school implementing the parents portal within a certain period of time. If a school wants something customised, they can do it or much more likely we can do it because schools don't want to hack code around, they just want something to work! If it's useful it will be rolled out to all the other schools.

The only parts that are not available open source are time intensive modules like data returns and accounting. By getting schools to sign up with us, that allows us financially to provide an open source version for developers to play with. But for most schools (where there is no real difference between open source and free) hosting with us is infinitely better since they get the support they need.

11. Thanks to scholarpack from:

vikpaw (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Scholarpack can you PM me with the details with what is available. I want to use it as a standalone to monitor childrens progress within my school for lessons, is that function available?

Thank Post
    Is the parents portal free also or chargeable?

On a separate note with regard to academic reporting, I'm interested in a standalone - but ideally linked to SIMS gradebook feature, so will have to check you out at BETT to see what's possible.

Thank Post
    Nephilim did you speak to Garry on the phone - just making sure it wasn't someone else

Vikpaw - parents portal is free to schools that we host. It connects to the same database as the MIS, obviously with different permissions, but it was developed as a separate product. Unfortunately we can't be at BETT because a European tender we are involved in is happening that same week. I don't think Capita would be too accommodating regarding any sort of integration, but we've plans for a standalone 'teachers edition' which would cover assessment, conduct etc, in the new year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did speak to Garry on the phone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    Nephilim did you speak to Garry on the phone - just making sure it wasn't someone else

Vikpaw - parents portal is free to schools that we host. It connects to the same database as the MIS, obviously with different permissions, but it was developed as a separate product. Unfortunately we can't be at BETT because a European tender we are involved in is happening that same week. I don't think Capita would be too accommodating regarding any sort of integration, but we've plans for a standalone 'teachers edition' which would cover assessment, conduct etc, in the new year.
    If you pay to be a partner they can't turn you down can they...well i'm guess they can, but it's not fair. There're plenty of ways to get the data out anyway, it doesn't have to be live. Just trying to think around the problem and if it's free all the better. I really want a gradebook that teachers can manage / edit on the fly, so not really a tight assessment module.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast