+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Free MIS system recommendation which also does academic reporting in Technical; Originally Posted by vikpaw If you pay to be a partner they can't turn you down can they...well i'm guess ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    If you pay to be a partner they can't turn you down can they...well i'm guess they can, but it's not fair. There're plenty of ways to get the data out anyway, it doesn't have to be live. Just trying to think around the problem and if it's free all the better. I really want a gradebook that teachers can manage / edit on the fly, so not really a tight assessment module.
    We have no plans to become a SIMS partner - that would be crazy - we have a full MIS to match it feature-wise and want to move schools away not maintain the status quo. Spending money to integrate into SIMS, then giving away the result for free or as open source would cause our Finance Director to have nightmares!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    It could be a loss leader!

But we're digressing. I'm just thinking of ways to get the SIMS data out that's all. You must have to do something similar when a school opts to move over to you, though i guess you can free hack a copy of the database as support wont be wanted anymore.

Could always use an established tool, like Groupcall Xporter or whatever is setup that syncs moodle, which i need to look into myself actually, as i think we're going to use moodle for the gradebook for lack of anything else around.

incidentally, @iscott, what system if any do you currently have in place for MIS / reporting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    It could be a loss leader!

But we're digressing. I'm just thinking of ways to get the SIMS data out that's all. You must have to do something similar when a school opts to move over to you, though i guess you can free hack a copy of the database as support wont be wanted anymore.

Could always use an established tool, like Groupcall Xporter or whatever is setup that syncs moodle, which i need to look into myself actually, as i think we're going to use moodle for the gradebook for lack of anything else around.
    Well, a CTF file handles all the student/staff data that is common to all MIS's (registration data too). As for everything else like Markbook Data, Reports etc they could be hacked out of the database but since it's installed on site it's not exactly pain free, but it could be done. Not many schools are using the SIMS assessment modules anyway...we have found many are happy to dump old data and start with the basics afresh.

I think what would really benefit schools is syncing between the VLE markbook and MIS assessment modules.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    Not many schools are using the SIMS assessment modules anyway...we have found many are happy to dump old data and start with the basics afresh.
    Really?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Really?
    Well, anyone dumping SIMS probably isn't using it that well anyway right? Or at least, it doesn't do what they need, so may as well start afresh.

Thank Post
    That is from my experience and I may be proved wrong but so far the schools we have dealt with have not required assessment data to be transferred apart from that which comes as part of the Common Transfer File ie Statutory Assessments. Also, having spoken to several reps for 3rd party apps they have very rarely seen an assessment module of any sort being used inside the classroom. There must be a reason why Classroom Monitor is used in over 2000 schools which replaces an assessment module. These schools obviously pay for an MIS, as they must have one, but they also pay for standalone assessment apps. There must be a reason why they don't use the inbuilt assessment monitor in their MIS...no?

Thank Post
    I wouldn't make too many assumptions along those lines. Anyone that is using their MIS as an MIS will require a huge amount more than a CTF transfer.

8. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

GREED (8th December 2010), Sivadam (29th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Phil -
    This is not an assumption, just our experience at the moment and we are aware that extra work will be necessary to move other data, although to say 'huge' amount may be an over-estimation. It would be interesting to know the proportion of schools that utilise their MIS to the full though?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garrysaddington View Post
    It would be interesting to know the proportion of schools that utilise their MIS to the full though?
    Every one that I have worked in (due to my obsession with things like this!) and working with now and since. No module purchased is under used and is thoroughly investigated and utilised before installing.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    *Unauthorised Advertising - Please contact Site Admins for details on rates*
    Last edited by john; 15th December 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Every one that I have worked in (due to my obsession with things like this!) and working with now and since. No module purchased is under used and is thoroughly investigated and utilised before installing.
    Strange you say this because Sivadam and co are always saying 'if only people knew that SIMS did this'! or 'MIS does this, it's just people don't know about it'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Strange you say this because Sivadam and co are always saying 'if only people knew that SIMS did this'! or 'MIS does this, it's just people don't know about it'
    You misunderstand. Since I have gone in and worked with these schools their usage has improved. Of course there are sections underused, due to different requirements, styles and levels of staff knowledge, but my work involves ensuring these are tied up where possible and efficiency is increased, and ROI is as good as it can be.

Thank Post
    Oh, well maybe Sivadam can take some tips from you then

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would never presume to tell Sivadam anything about SIMS and I could guarentee he has been there done that and bought several thousand tee-shirts! My only advantage is I have time to analyse and develop and put change and procedures in place in schools, something most IT/MIS guys don't get much opportunity for.

16. Thanks to GREED from:

Sivadam (16th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrysaddington View Post
    Phil -
    This is not an assumption, just our experience at the moment and we are aware that extra work will be necessary to move other data, although to say 'huge' amount may be an over-estimation. It would be interesting to know the proportion of schools that utilise their MIS to the full though?
    Maybe you would like to pay a visit and see how much this school uses it's SIMS?
    We are one of the Partnership Schools and are used to hosting visitors for this purpose.
    It would be no good coming with a sales hat on though!

Undoubtedly I can!!
    GREED has much more knowledge than I in certain aspects of SIMS - certainly the Technical side of things. I am just a 'mere' User (and, obviously, the SYSMAN!)
    One of my advantages is that I spend qute a bit of time testing the SIMS Software against our dataset as part of UAT. This gives me a great insight into the new functionality in advance of it's delievery. The school can then be set up and prepared to use that new software the moment it is available!

.....having spoken to several reps for 3rd party apps they have very rarely seen an assessment module of any sort being used inside the classroom...
    Watch out for the brochure 'Freedom to Focus' coming out from Capitaes next term. There will be a quote in there from Ofsted re. use of assessment data in this school! You might also want to conveniently ignore what it will probably say on the front cover, but it's perfectly true!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 16th December 2010 at 05:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast