MIS Systems Thread, SIMS server migration, serious problems! (64 bit / 32 bit errors) in Technical; Hello,
Am currently desperately trying to get sims 7.132 migrated on to a new server. I have very little experience ...
SIMS server migration, serious problems! (64 bit / 32 bit errors)
Am currently desperately trying to get sims 7.132 migrated on to a new server. I have very little experience with sims and sql but have completed a few succesful installs.
The old server was 2003 r2 32bit, sql was on 2008.
New server is 2008 r2 64bit, and I'm attempting to install sims from the Autumn main 09 files but I don't know if this is sql 32 or 64 bit.
The install goes ok until it runs sqlapplicationssetups, or applicationssetups, at which point I get the standard error saying the program is not for this platform, check whether it's 64 or 32 bit, etc. This happens when attempting to run the programs manually and not from simsinst.
I have reimaged the server with 2008 32 bit, and 2008 64 bit, and done a fresh install on 2008 64 bit, exact same issue each time.
Funny thing is that a couple of times it seemed to complete some of the installs that are erroring out but when I attached the schools db, after that they no longer worked and I got the error. I'm a little bit hazy on this last paragraph as there was a lot of installs and uninstalls going on but that is what I'm pretty sure I remember.
I remember this happening to me a year ago, and the issue for me was that during the setup of SIMS (the splash screen), it did not pick up the SQL 2008 database instance. I ended up installing without the db then manually pointing at the db and worked fine. At the time this was Capita's recommendation too.
You are running SQL 64bit on the 2008 64bit server right? Again at the time this was a thing Capita said that you have to run 64bit SQL on 64bit server, not mixing the 2 architectures.
I did this a few weeks ago. I installed SQL 2008 on the 2008 r2 x64 machine which an instance called sims2008 then detached the blank database created and attached the files from the old server using dbattach and copied the simsroot files setup the shares etc. Installed Sims.net as a client rather then server as this tries to install sql 2005. I had trouble trying to install the document server as it flashes up with a popup box and closed instantly which was becuase .netfx version 1.1 needed installing. I then copied the docstorage files into the blank folders it created and changed its location in sims. also changed the login scripts to point to the new sims server rather then the old one for the S: drive and changed the connect.ini file to the correct instance.