+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Help please with FMS SQL2008 Migration in Technical; Hope someone can help me with an FMS SQL 2005/08migration. Server 1 = Currently hosting FMS 6.132 (only FMS module ...

Thank Post

Help please with FMS SQL2008 Migration

Hope someone can help me with an FMS SQL 2005/08migration.

Server 1 = Currently hosting FMS 6.132 (only FMS module as we use Facility as our MIS) server 2003 / Sql 2005 (full version)

Server 2 = New server running Server 2008R2 & full version of SQL 2008

Firstly Solus has never worked properly for us so we get our updates via the Capita helpdesk - we did not have the migration tool, so had to contact Capita to get these - they are not happy we have left it so late as the official migration support has ended ...

If I run the migration tool on Server 1, it does not "see" server 2. the destination server is blank - Capita says
    that I need to run the migration tool on server 2. So I copy the FMS database onto server 2, run the migration tool, I can select my file,
    "see" the SQL 2008 server (I am able to connect either with windows or sql authentication) but when I click "next" to start the conversion I get
    the following error :-

FMS SQL2008 Migration - Unable to get the registry keys for SQLBinnRoot or SQLData from the registry - please seek advice.

Any ideas as to how I can proceed ? In order to get the FMS databases trasferred should any
    settings / software be loaded onto the SQL2008 server ?

Any help much appreciated (before I go tinkering with the registry...)

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Suggested route for migration, this is how I did it before:

Migrate the database in place (ie on top of the existing server)
    Install FMS to the new Server (with blank db)
    copy over the db to the new server.
    Ditch the messy old server.

Obviously this is me, not Capita experts!

Thank Post
    Thanks for your quick reply - would this mean installing sql 2008 express on the sql 2005 box ? (2005 is still running Facility) ... not a route i want to go down but will do if required. i like your idea of installing a fresh copy of FMS and copying over the DB (once it's "converted") - thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I mis-read the original post, but you could do the same with an extra stage:

Install 2005 on a new box, copy over FMS, upgrade, then copy onto a 3rd (you new server). This will leave your Facility intact, upgrade FMS and have it on a fresh installed box with no old rubbish on there.

5. Thanks to GREED from:

drdos256 (28th October 2010)

Thank Post
    understood - it's a way forward ... I'm just hoping that I don't get this error with future upgrades .....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I happily found that if you install the software new, the server new, the db new, the just transfer the db (which should be fine internally!) you quite often loose all errors!

Are you using 32 or 64 bit Server? If so there used to be an additional patch needed to install the FMS software on 64bit.

Thank Post
    It's 64 bit .... do you have details of the patch please ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm affraid not I stopped working with FMS 10 months ago. But contact the helpdesk or your LEA (whichever you use) and mention that you need a patch (which I believe is a patch for the software, not the database, so runs from an exe file), for FMS to work on 64bit.

Like I say I been out of the game unfortunately for 10 months now, so might be old knowledge and Capita may have integrated the fix into the main software.

Thank Post
    thanks ... I'll get hold of capita

Thank Post
    What I would do is deattach the database, install fms onto the new, run the sql2008 migration tool on the new server, select the advance option, select the fms mdf file. You won't need any patches for x64. Just the latest installable media\setups directory.

(PS: You might lose your user\pass at this stage - sysman will revert to the default password if it does).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suggested doing the migration before the move so that a) you dont get any mess with the migration left over, and b) to ensure the migration is fine through the upgrade method in SQL, rather than moving to the new server prior to the upgrade...

Matt I have been out of SIMS for nearly a year so I am probably out of date!

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Given that you can't move Facility to the 64bit box, install SQL2008 on box 1 and move the FMS databases to that instance (deattach/reattach), and update the .ini files with 08 rather than 05. You can move the facility databases across to SQL08 and turn off SQL2005.

This way you keep 1 MIS server, rather than having MS server 08 x64 + Full SQL08 running FMS.

Just a thought

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Without knowing the specs of both servers, couldn't comment (although the plan is a good one!).

Also, is Facility ok with SQL 2008 and Server 2008?

Thats a good point, Capita don't support Server 2008R2 at the moment I don't believe, so that might be another thing to watch, and perhaps test before moving the live database?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Without knowing the specs of both servers, couldn't comment (although the plan is a good one!).

Also, is Facility ok with SQL 2008 and Server 2008?

Thats a good point, Capita don't support Server 2008R2 at the moment I don't believe, so that might be another thing to watch, and perhaps test before moving the live database?
    Facility with server 2008 and SQL2008 is fine, x64, big no no

Thank Post
    GREED is right about Server 2008 R2 - that won't be supported until the Autumn upgrade is applied.

I had a similar error message to this in a primary but I think it was down to the Server having multiple editions of SQL installed on it some with several instances (they went way back to the old MSDE for SQL 2000).

I had to uninstall a load of the old and unused SQL Editions and instances and then it went through OK. Your problem sounds different though because it is a new box so it shouldn't have those kinds of legacy issues.

Some ideas:

Are you using a Windows account or a SQL (eg SA) account to perform the migration? Basically whichever you're doing try the other one.
    Is UAC turned on?
    How did you copy the database from Server 1 to Server 2 (did you remember to switch the SQL service off first).
    If you look at the properties for the SQL Server Service - what account is it running under (Local system is usually best - although not necessarily the most secure).
    Can you run the repair routine on SQL 08? (find it from the start menu and head to the installation / maintenance centre thingy).

Hope you get through it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast